Friedman: Players don’t want to sign in Canada?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
No, it's actually true. You just outlined some of the reasons why. I'd prefer to be responsible for my own well being if that means I get more freedoms. And I'm sure many young wealthy hockey players feel the same.

I mean they would hardly even let fans in the building in Montreal. Thanks daddy government.

WRONG - Thanks global pandemic. Things were bad for quite a while in Quebec and other places. It's called precautions, and at the time Canada was getting caught up in vaccinated numbers to help prevent the chance of having a large outbreak because of hockey game.

I have just as many "freedoms" as any American - never have I been oppressed by my government. Short sighted!!!

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
WRONG - Thanks global pandemic. Things were bad for quite a while in Quebec and other places. It's called precautions, and at the time Canada was getting caught up in vaccinated numbers to help prevent the chance of having a large outbreak because of hockey game.

I have just as many "freedoms" as any American - never have I been oppressed by my government. Short sighted!!!
Is that why people were packed in like sardines just outside the stadium?

I had the freedom to go to a playoff game, sounds like you didn't.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Now that's it's on the record, who wants to deny it.

@Cotton

*Pandemic restriction. It cannot be overstated how poorly this government has handled… well, every situation, but Covid more specifically.

I would also venture this narrative is being pushed more so to do with addressing the inequalities of having tax advantages in certain places. The world is always ending when you’re pushing a narrative to try and provoke change.

Otherwise, my team had no issues in recent times signing and re-upping quality players. Hyman, who several teams are after, seems to favour Canadian destinations. In fact without someone telling us someone else is “hearing things” there wouldn’t be any evidence to support it. :dunno:

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
*Pandemic restriction. It cannot be overstated how poorly this government has handled… well, every situation, but Covid more specifically.

I would also venture this narrative is being pushed more so to do with addressing the inequalities of having tax advantages in certain places. The world is always ending when you’re pushing a narrative to try and provoke change.

Otherwise, my team had no issues in recent times signing and re-upping quality players. Hyman, who several teams are after, seems to favour Canadian destinations. In fact without someone telling us someone else is “hearing things” there wouldn’t be any evidence to support it. :dunno:
The are no companies which produce vaccines here, but's that's another story.

The last two major UFAs to Canada, Tavares and Mogilny - signed in Toronto, 20 years apart. I guess Vancouver get some players, but the smaller markets?

Hyman is not a high quality UFA.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
So why did BC stay open (with measures) & was able to handle their cases better then ON + QC, who were under severe lockdown measures & constantly had surges and had to lockdown again?

Spoiler alert: there's no statistical correlation between how severe the measures are & cases.

Or perhaps, BC has lower population density and in general is a province with infrastructure more geared towards living and being outside, ya know where the risk of spread is close to eliminated. Also hate to bring it here, but BC has a much more liberal population that I would assume based on what I'm seeing in Ontario took social distancing measures more seriously than their right wing counterparts

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Wait, you're telling me to turn my tv off? Actually, the people who believe there's a statistical correlation between lockdown measures & covid cases are the one sitting on twitter & watching tv all day.

I don't care how logic you think it is, stats are stats, there is 0 statistical correlation between the 2. If you want to prove me otherwise, please do so with facts (i.e. statistics).

You couldn't even read stats on the subject and come out with a valid conclusion. Too complicated for us to mesure. Hell, too complicated for epidemiologists to mesure. There are so many variables influencing the results that you can't even use stats to mesure it.

Just keep it simple. If i'm covid sick and stay in my house, there is literraly 0% chance i give it to you if you don't come in my house. But if you come in and lick the spoon i used fir dinner, the chance are greater don't you think??

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
So why did BC stay open (with measures) & was able to handle their cases better then ON + QC, who were under severe lockdown measures & constantly had surges and had to lockdown again?

Spoiler alert: there's no statistical correlation between how severe the measures are & cases.
Climate. BC (especially the densely populated areas) have mild winters. People outside more.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !

Qc and On the main issue was eldery care that was deficient for years before the pandemic. So when something major like covid happens, all the flaws of the system were exposed at the same time.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
Climate. BC (especially the densely populated areas) have mild winters. People outside more.

That's exactly one of the main reason why locking people in their homes doesn't work.

And just by curiosity, would you apply the same logic of population density when describing the main difference between the US & Canada when it comes to cases?

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
Qc and On the main issue was eldery care that was deficient for years before the pandemic. So when something major like covid happens, all the flaws of the system were exposed at the same time.

Here's a great statistic... 85%+ of death in QC came from nursing homes, so we decided to lockdown & impose a curfew on 8.5M people because the Govt has been doing a poor job at managing nursing homes for a long time.

But hey, if the Govt tells us to be mindful of our elders, while he literally let them rot... we should listen.

MalkinsPierogi

Aug 15, 2016
Indiana, PA
Good thing 43% of the NHL are Canadians who really don't have a problem living in Canada. Then you got your Fins and Swedes and Russians too.
I suspect a large majority of players that have an issue with living in Canada are Americans which comprise 28% of the league.
I can live with a few Americans not wanting to live in this beautiful country.

I disagree. There are quotes from MANY Canadian born players stating that they don't want to play in Canada. It has nothing to do with nationality. Not many Russians or Swedes on Canadian teams either. Who would want to play somewhere that is restricting their freedoms? Canada is a very beautiful country, but you guys have some really awful lawmakers taking away your freedoms right now and I don't blame the players for leaving. Not saying we don't have just as many problems here, but language restrictions are pretty extreme.

Reactions: Nakawick

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
You couldn't even read stats on the subject and come out with a valid conclusion. Too complicated for us to mesure. Hell, too complicated for epidemiologists to mesure. There are so many variables influencing the results that you can't even use stats to mesure it.

Just keep it simple. If i'm covid sick and stay in my house, there is literraly 0% chance i give it to you if you don't come in my house. But if you come in and lick the spoon i used fir dinner, the chance are greater don't you think??

You can look at Europe, you can look at the USA... Some countries/states did better then other countries while having less severe lockdown measures with similar population density.

It's really not that hard.

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
Have to remember too that players on every team, still do have pay income tax in every city they play in, even as a road team. Sure, it might only be for 1 "day", but you still worked in that state/province.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014

Don't bother man. It is just a matter of money. When people talk about freedom, the only thing that comes into consideration is f***ing money. That says a lot.

Reactions: Fatass

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm
Did Canada kill Adams dad on purpose? I don't get this.
...no, but he died in Edmonton, and maybe Adam gets reminded of that when he’s living there, I dunno? It is common that you try to get away from places that reminds you of someone close when they die, but I guess you don’t really do “feelings” and that kinda stuff

Prendan Brust

Jul 31, 2003
Québec

I'm curious to see where you got that from? I'm curious to see the methodology used to measure that relation. Especially how they quantified the severity of the measures. I haven't seen any cross country analysis. And it's a very challenging thing to do considering in many countries, measures aren't uniform between regions. And add to that that there are many differences (like population density) between regions in many countries.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
If you're making millions of $ to play a game, you really shouldn't cry over a couple of people who tell you that you suck.

How many death threats have NHL players received the past 50 years?

Boohoo. Would they prefer that they took a paycut every time they stunk on the ice instead of getting a message they can choose to not read or getting a shout on the street the can just ignore?

Saying that you don't want to play in Canada because of social media should be a capital offense.

Just a reminder they don't have to deal with this quite to the extent they do in Canada. It's going to be a factor.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
Here's a great statistic... 85%+ of death in QC came from nursing homes, so we decided to lockdown & impose a curfew on 8.5M people because the Govt has been doing a poor job at managing nursing homes for a long time.

But hey, if the Govt tells us to take care of our elders, while he literally let them rot... we should listen.

Sadly it is the truth.

Nursing homes were badly understaffed, so government started hiring anyone pretty much with any experience, they even opened speedy school programs for people to go work in nursing homes.

So, workers who got tired as hell, working like horses, were going back homes to their family who was still going to school and working (most companies did ''home from work'' for a few weeks in 2020 then everyone was back to work....before finaly realizing it was bad and back to full lockdown in October 2020.

For what's worth in Quebec, there was a lot of dumb decisions made. They opened way to soon in May 2020, then closed back in June, then reopened in July/August to close back in October. Comes xMas holidays and they announce they will allow families to gather, only to change their minds days before (people did what they wanted anyway) and in January cases were back skyrocketing.

Reactions: BahlDeep
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad