Players angry with proposal....

Status
Not open for further replies.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
DementedReality said:
whats wrong with Iginla being paid 7.5m again ?

What's "wrong with it" is that the owners don't want him to be making that much. That's what the lockout is all about.

What's being proposed here is that the owners should accept the players offer, because it will reduce salaries for a long time. It won't.

What's right and wrong etc, is all a different argument.

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
PecaFan said:
What's "wrong with it" is that the owners don't want him to be making that much. That's what the lockout is all about..

right ... well they dont have to pay him. they really dont. ANA managed to suck without Kariya and with him. Canucks managed to get by without their "greatest" every player in Pavel Bure.

but if he wants 7.5m to be on NHL ice thats his right to not agree to a contract for less. a cap wont change that. a cap wont change that is someone wants to pay him 7.5m they should be allowed to.

so now this lockout is about not paying Jarome Iginla 7.5m ?

dr

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
DementedReality said:
name 5 players who could succesfully use Jarome Iginla as a comparable in arbitration and then examine if those players would not get that regardless.
dr

Isn't the whole point of the rollback so that they DON'T get it regardless. That is, unless of course, the NHLPA really wants to rollback to fail and those players to get it making their entire proposal a sham.

Brent Burns Beard

Feb 27, 2002
me2 said:
Isn't the whole point of the rollback so that they DON'T get it regardless. That is, unless of course, the NHLPA really wants to rollback to fail and those players to get it making their entire proposal a sham.

i thought the point was to give the owners a chance to make money ? if they now choose to pay someone not as good as Iginla as much as him, we should care ?

there is hardly if not zero players who could use Iginla as a comparable, so his contract will be used by who to raise the bar ?

dr

jacketracket*

DementedReality said:
i thought the point was to give the owners a chance to make money ?
... which would seem to be an admission that the NHLPA is acknowledging the financial trouble the league faces...

if they now choose to pay someone not as good as Iginla as much as him, we should care ?
I would hope so, because that sort of idiocy is why the league faces the problems it faces. The owners don't need protected from the PA, they need protected from themselves.

Brent Burns Beard

Feb 27, 2002
jacketracket said:
... which would seem to be an admission that the NHLPA is acknowledging the financial trouble the league faces...

I would hope so, because that sort of idiocy is why the league faces the problems it faces. The owners don't need protected from the PA, they need protected from themselves.

1) ok, so the players are giving the owners a do over. and they should be critisized for it ?

2) so why shouldnt they and they alone be the solution ? why not just throw all their revenue;s into a pot and split it 30 ways ? oh ya, because even the owners dont trust the other owners to be honest.

if the owners truly just want to protect themselves from each other, there are solutions that dont require the CBA. they should be spending their energy on those solutions instead of this mess they have chosen.

dr

jacketracket*

DementedReality said:
1) ok, so the players are giving the owners a do over. and they should be critisized for it ?
Who is criticizing them? Are you suggesting that pointing out the flaws in the proposal from the NHLPA is unfair?

2) so why shouldnt they and they alone be the solution ?
Isn't that what they're attempting to do now?

Brent Burns Beard

Feb 27, 2002
jacketracket said:
Who is criticizing them? Are you suggesting that pointing out the flaws in the proposal from the NHLPA is unfair?

Isn't that what they're attempting to do now?

calling their proposal a farce is critisizing them. if you didnt make the claim, so be it, but its not like it isnt being spouted ad naseum.

well, they are attemtping to have the players involved in the solution and it has worked. the players have agreed to be a big part of the solution. however, if they truly were just interested in protection from each other, they could devise a system outside of a CBA and not need to shut down the league over it.

dr

jacketracket*

DementedReality said:
calling their proposal a farce is critisizing them. if you didnt make the claim, so be it, but its not like it isnt being spouted ad naseum.
...and this differs from you calling the owners "children" how?

well, they are attemtping to have the players involved in the solution and it has worked. the players have agreed to be a big part of the solution. however, if they truly were just interested in protection from each other, they could devise a system outside of a CBA and not need to shut down the league over it.

dr
If escalating player expense is the biggest part of the problem a healthy league faces --- and I believe that to be the case --- then why shouldn't the players be a part of the solution?

The owners can either get control of the problem behind the player's backs --- collusion --- or negotiate with them, over the table.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
DementedReality said:
i thought the point was to give the owners a chance to make money ? if they now choose to pay someone not as good as Iginla as much as him, we should care ?

there is hardly if not zero players who could use Iginla as a comparable, so his contract will be used by who to raise the bar ?

dr

Thornton, St Louis, Hossa, Bertuzzi, not to far distant future Heatly, Kovalchuk, Lecavalier, Richards, Havlat, maybe Nash and a few others. And that's just the forwards that will try and use it to drive up their asking price. It won't be long before the elite Ds & Gs want the same money as the elite Fs.

se7en*

colosilverado said:
Really, you all know the game better than anyone who supports the Avs. You're generalization is idiotic. We also have you in average attendance since the Avs came here. So, are you saying you support your team better because your fans are sitting in a bar somewhere instead of paying to go see your beloved Oilers?

Nonsense. Colorado sells out every game because they haven't been exposed to a losing team and won the Cup in their first year in Denver. I'm not saying you guys don't have a dedicated, passionate fanbase. It's also apparent that you don't have a clue what our attendance is - fans are sitting in a bar watching games because tickets are bought weeks in advance resulting in almost every game being sold out - or filled to over 99% capacity.

jericholic19 said:
lol, fold the large market teams? do that and the league's done. hey, i understand your jealousy, but don't blame colorado for having what it takes to keep their own players. if anything, small market teams should be patting them on the back for trying to keep inflation minimal (he he he). don't believe me? well sakic and blake currently make 9 mill per season. what do you think they woulda fetched if they were free agents. at least 12 mill each in my opinion. for the record, id also like to see some small market teams have the opportunity to retain their best players. yet, this moaning and groaning by some oilers' fans won't make me anymore empathic...that's for sure.

Don't delude yourself into thinking that I'm jealous of Colorado because they can pay their players millions of dollars. I look down on teams who need to go past the semifinals just to make a profit. Stern, maybe. Jealous, hardly.

I'm willing to wait it out as long as possible to see this predicament solved.

colosilverado

Jun 6, 2002
Loveland, Colorado
Visit site
Hootchie Cootchie said:
Nonsense. Colorado sells out every game because they haven't been exposed to a losing team and won the Cup in their first year in Denver. I'm not saying you guys don't have a dedicated, passionate fanbase. It's also apparent that you don't have a clue what our attendance is - fans are sitting in a bar watching games because tickets are bought weeks in advance resulting in almost every game being sold out - or filled to over 99% capacity.

I looked at the attendance records...tells me what I need to know. You can keep on looking down. We aren't the NY Rangers. Did you see my fellow Av fan's post about how we could drive salaries higher if we wanted? We could, but players CHOOSE to take less because they know that they will be treated well because we don't have a cheap owner or a cheap GM. PL is fiscally responsible. Foppa could make way more money if he wanted to be a Ranger. Players recognize that the Avs are going to put teams on the ice year in and year out that are going to challenge for The Cup, not just the playoffs. They know that if they are not drunks like Theo or money-grubbers, PL and Stan will take care of them. We don't have losing seasons because our owner and GM do take care of their guys and go after players. That concept seems foreign to alot of owners, like I said.

Don't delude yourself into thinking that I'm jealous of Colorado because they can pay their players millions of dollars. I look down on teams who need to go past the semifinals just to make a profit. Stern, maybe. Jealous, hardly.

I'm willing to wait it out as long as possible to see this predicament solved.
Look down on us all you want. At least our ownership is smart enough to realize that playoffs =big money and to make the playoffs, you need to put talent on the ice and to do that, you need.....ding*ding*ding, what's the answer? Money. You have to spend money to make money...it is a simple economic principle. I'll take The Cups and the possiblity at making a Cup run year in and year out. Have fun trying to make the playoffs and playing the spoiler role. Get a new owner and see what your tune is then. You were probably singing a different tune back when your team was monopolizing all of the talent and you were winning Cups. That was a loooong time ago, wasn't it?

How long have the Broncos sold out? The Nuggets put money into getting players...look how they draw. Look at the Rocks...and they suck because the owners are CHEAP...just like alot of owners in the NHL. How many pro teams do you have up there in Edmonton anyway? This summer, a poll came out with the top sports cities ( I can't remember if it was SI, Sporting NEws or what) and guess what the number one city was? I'll give you a hint, it wasn't on the east or west coast of the US.

How about this, you can fold the large market teams...and they will form their own league and you small market teams can form your own league...k? Enjoy watching scrubs......you know the players will follow the money. Who can blame them?

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
colosilverado said:
Look down on us all you want. At least our ownership is smart enough to realize that playoffs =big money and to make the playoffs, you need to put talent on the ice and to do that, you need.....ding*ding*ding, what's the answer? Money. You have to spend money to make money...it is a simple economic principle.

Worked well for the Rangers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad