OT: Player rankings [PROTOTYPE IS UP!][Goalies added]

StLHokie

May 27, 2014
North Carolina
What about a "Physicality" trait? You have body checking, but I think the two are different. Body Checking is how good a player is at making a hit on an opponent. Physicality more represents the style of a player. For instance, Kronwall is known for being very good at laying the body on someone. But outside of his "Kronwall" style hit, he doesn't play all that physically. On the other end, Steve Ott is a guy that isn't great at actually hitting guys, but he always roughs guys in up if given the opportunity. I also interpret aggressiveness as to how reckless a player is when going for hits. maybe my interpretation of that is different than your intention.

Also, might be my nerd side talking, but I think it would be awesome at some point to be able to see more statistical data behind rankings. Seeing the total number of ratings, the average rating, the average deviation from the rating, lowest rating, highest rating, etc would be cool to see. It would show how the the users feel about certain players (for instance, a high deviation in ratings may mean that the player is a polar player, depending on which fanbase one may be from)

Another addition that would be awesome is to see how the players rating compares to the rest of the league. Seeing who averages the highest ratings in a stat, or the league average, just to get a better overall comparison of a player to the rest of the league. That's probably better implemented at a later date though.

Last edited:

elkranio

Jan 4, 2014
Also, might be my nerd side talking, but I think it would be awesome at some point to be able to see more statistical data behind rankings. Seeing the total number of ratings, the average rating, the average deviation from the rating, lowest rating, highest rating, etc would be cool to see. It would show how the the users feel about certain players (for instance, a high deviation in ratings may mean that the player is a polar player, depending on which fanbase one may be from)

Another addition that would be awesome is to see how the players rating compares to the rest of the league. Seeing who averages the highest ratings in a stat, or the league average, just to get a better overall comparison of a player to the rest of the league. That's probably better implemented at a later date though.

I need to survive the prototype stage first hehe. But if I do I will implement these of course.

elkranio

Jan 4, 2014
I've added a fast voting feature. Click on a grade (even a 'n/a' one) and a dialog will appear. No need to load every attribute page.
Not very good looking, but will do for now.

elkranio

Jan 4, 2014
Added button to show/hide your ratings. You'll probably need to reload player page if you were using fast voting.
PLi9g3h.png

Last edited:

elkranio

Jan 4, 2014
Thanks to StLHokie we've got sweet descriptions for player attributes.

dmgvHm5.png

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
this is really starting to take shape. you're doing great work on these updates

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
I was literally about to say that you should post this to /r/stlouisblues when I went there and saw that StlHokie did. St. Louis Game Time is another site with some quality posters you could try posting to for more rankings from blues fans too, if you haven't already.

elkranio

Jan 4, 2014
Where is Rattie,Lindbohm (and Fabbri)?
Lemme add them for you :bb:

Edit: added.

We're gonna change the grading system (thanks to StLHokie), then we gonna add a player overall grade.
And then more to come (for example the ability to compare your grades to your friends' ones)

Last edited:

StLHokie

May 27, 2014
North Carolina
Here's what we have planned for in terms of the grading scale. It's based off the 1-10 system. 0 was eliminated because we assumed that it really didn't have a use beside trolling. Take a look at the scale below and let us know what you think.

10 – World Class: This rating is for a player that is the best in the world at a particular ability. There are typically less than 10 players in the world with this ability level.
9 – Elite: This rating is for a player whose ability is greater than the majority of the NHL, however falls just below the World Class level.
8 – Advanced: This rating is for a player with an ability that is noticeably higher than the NHL average
7 – League Average NHL: This rating is for a player with an ability that fits with the estimated average of the NHL.
6 – Sufficient NHL: This rating is for a player with an ability that falls below the average NHL player, however is sufficient enough to maintain performance.
5 – Borderline NHL: This rating is for a player with the minimum ability level that a player in the NHL must have in order to remain in the league.
4 – Advanced Minor League: This rating is for a player with an ability that is higher than most minor league players.
3 – Minor League Average: This rating is for a player with an ability that is average within the minor leagues.
2 – Sufficient Minor League: This rating is for a player with an ability that falls below the average minor league player, however is sufficient enough to maintain performance.
1 – Borderline Minor League: This rating is for a player with an ability that is just above “beer league” level.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Maybe it's just me, but I see "Elite" and "World Class" as being pretty interchangeable as opposed to differentiated. I think your classification descritpions are on track, but maybe come up with a term other than "Elite" for Grade 9.

elkranio

Jan 4, 2014
Maybe it's just me, but I see "Elite" and "World Class" as being pretty interchangeable as opposed to differentiated. I think your classification descritpions are on track, but maybe come up with a term other than "Elite" for Grade 9.
Maybe we should change the World Class one? To I dunno Generational Talent? There are elite players but not of them are tens.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Here's what we have planned for in terms of the grading scale. It's based off the 1-10 system. 0 was eliminated because we assumed that it really didn't have a use beside trolling. Take a look at the scale below and let us know what you think.

10 – World Class: This rating is for a player that is the best in the world at a particular ability. There are typically less than 10 players in the world with this ability level.
9 – Elite: This rating is for a player whose ability is greater than the majority of the NHL, however falls just below the World Class level.
8 – Advanced: This rating is for a player with an ability that is noticeably higher than the NHL average
7 – League Average NHL: This rating is for a player with an ability that fits with the estimated average of the NHL.
6 – Sufficient NHL: This rating is for a player with an ability that falls below the average NHL player, however is sufficient enough to maintain performance.
5 – Borderline NHL: This rating is for a player with the minimum ability level that a player in the NHL must have in order to remain in the league.
4 – Advanced Minor League: This rating is for a player with an ability that is higher than most minor league players.
3 – Minor League Average: This rating is for a player with an ability that is average within the minor leagues.
2 – Sufficient Minor League: This rating is for a player with an ability that falls below the average minor league player, however is sufficient enough to maintain performance.
1 – Borderline Minor League: This rating is for a player with an ability that is just above “beer league†level.

To give a scheme like this more stability, you'll want to anchor it with a handful of specific examples at each level (or at least the top several levels of NHL regulars). I would also add the year you are referring to, since to me that changes some of the numbers.

That kind of thing is always controversial and more easily said than done, but I think it helps to create an anchor for other people to interpret the number scheme better.

StLHokie

May 27, 2014
North Carolina
To give a scheme like this more stability, you'll want to anchor it with a handful of specific examples at each level (or at least the top several levels of NHL regulars). I would also add the year you are referring to, since to me that changes some of the numbers.

That kind of thing is always controversial and more easily said than done, but I think it helps to create an anchor for other people to interpret the number scheme better.

Year is current. Also, was hesitant to give player examples because it is fan voting. Do I think Patrick Kane deserves a 10 in the hands skill rating? Absolutely. But may other fans? Perhaps not. So by giving direct player examples, it creates a natural bias for some players.

elkranio

Jan 4, 2014
Implementing a weight system for player overall grade. This is how overall grades would look like if every attribute had the same weight.
0ef3872e7011fe68b27eb84a66e7eef1.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad