Player Expectations

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Players that played at least half the regular season games. Based on expectations prior to this season.

Exceeded Expectations:

Morgan Geekie
Danton Heinen
Kevin Shattenkirk
Jesper Boqvist
Brandon Carlo
Parker Wotherspoon

Met Expectations:

Mason Lohrei
John Beecher
Pavel Zacha
Charlie Coyle
Trent Frederick
James van Reimsdyk
David Pastrnak
Matt Grzelcyk
Jeremy Swayman

Below Expectations:

Brad Marchand
Charlie McAvoy
Jake DeBrusk
Hampus Lindholm
Jakub Lauko
Linus Ullmark

Many borderline players here.

Would be interested to see how others thought everyone performed.

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
There was a thread where we predicted everyone's point totals. Be fun to bump that.

Players that played at least half the regular season games. Based on expectations prior to this season.

Exceeded Expectations:

Morgan Geekie
Danton Heinen
Kevin Shattenkirk
Jesper Boqvist
Brandon Carlo
Parker Wotherspoon

Met Expectations:

Mason Lohrei
John Beecher
Pavel Zacha
Charlie Coyle
Trent Frederick
James van Reimsdyk
David Pastrnak
Matt Grzelcyk
Jeremy Swayman

Below Expectations:

Brad Marchand
Charlie McAvoy
Jake DeBrusk
Hampus Lindholm
Jakub Lauko
Linus Ullmark

Btw I find it interesting that you had Charlie as below, with 47 pts in 74 games, and his career high in goals. He met expectations to me. Had to play a lot of PK too a lot of the year.

Along those lines I'm not sure exactly how Marchy missed. Given his age etc, he seemed bang on to me. In the top 15 for scoring for LW's and he's 35. What exactly were we expecting?

weaponomega

Feb 9, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
For me Coyle exceeded expectations. I know he tailed off towards the end of the season but I was not expecting the top 6 production and a careeer year from him. I thought by December we'd be desperate to find an available top 6 center.

Grzelcyk was below expectations. I thought he was rather poor for 75% of the season.

I'd add Matt Poitras as someone who exceeded expectations.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
There was a thread where we predicted everyone's point totals. Be fun to bump that.

Btw I find it interesting that you had Charlie as below, with 47 pts in 74 games, and his career high in goals. He met expectations to me. Had to play a lot of PK too a lot of the year.

Along those lines I'm not sure exactly how Marchy missed. Given his age etc, he seemed bang on to me. In the top 15 for scoring for LW's and he's 35. What exactly were we expecting?

McAvoy was +4 this season. By far the worst of his career. 47 points is a drop from his last two seasons. He should be entering his peak years, was not expecting him to take a step back.

Marchand also had the worst plus/minus (+2) of his career. Same number of points (67) as last season in 9 more games. And last season was the first time since 2015-16 that he was under a point per game.

Reactions: PB37

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
For me Coyle exceeded expectations. I know he tailed off towards the end of the season but I was not expecting the top 6 production and a careeer year from him. I thought by December we'd be desperate to find an available top 6 center.

Grzelcyk was below expectations. I thought he was rather poor for 75% of the season.

I'd add Matt Poitras as someone who exceeded expectations.

Coyle was a border liner for me. Best production of his career, but more minutes playing with better players was bound to increase his numbers.

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL

Exceeded Expectations:

Morgan Geekie
Danton Heinen
Kevin Shattenkirk
Jesper Boqvist
Brandon Carlo
Parker Wotherspoon

Met Expectations:

Mason Lohrei
John Beecher
Pavel Zacha
Charlie Coyle
Trent Frederick
James van Reimsdyk
David Pastrnak
Matt Grzelcyk
Jeremy Swayman

Below Expectations:

Brad Marchand
Charlie McAvoy
Jake DeBrusk
Hampus Lindholm
Jakub Lauko
Linus Ullmark

I don't think your list is too far off. The only player that I'd say I have a major issue with how you graded was Ullmark. I thought he was rock solid and unless you expected him to repeat as a Vezina winner, I'd have put him in the Met Expectations range.

I probably would have bumped Coyle up too. I think he's been excellent this year. Personally, I expected him to play well, but he really was a stabilizing force on a pretty thin group of centers.

Reactions: BMC

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
I don't think your list is too far off. The only player that I'd say I have a major issue with how you graded was Ullmark. I thought he was rock solid and unless you expected him to repeat as a Vezina winner, I'd have put him in the Met Expectations range.

I probably would have bumped Coyle up too. I think he's been excellent this year. Personally, I expected him to play well, but he really was a stabilizing force on a pretty thin group of centers.
He's been nails since vetoing whatever trade that was at the deadline

Reactions: BMC and RoccoF14

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

Both borderline calls.

Yes, my expectations were perhaps too high for Ullmark.

Reactions: RoccoF14

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
I agree with all of those.
I would just put Carlo in the meets category. He made his usually blunders of not clearing the crease or puck.
And I would put Ullmark in the meets category as well. Hes been what I expected. I never expected a repaeat of his regular season last year.
I would also maybe bump Pasta up to exceeded. He had a great year without playing with a real #1 center all season.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Expectations are of course subjective, but relative to what I was expecting of each player, I would give the following ratings:

Exceeded Expectations:

Geekie, Heinen, Boqvist, Wotherspoon, Beecher, Coyle

Met Expectations:

Lohrei, Zacha, Frederick, JvR, Pasta, Ullmark, Swayman, Marchand, Lauko, Shattenkirk, Carlo

Below Expectations:

DeBrusk, Lindholm, Gryz, McAvoy

In line with the discussion here the one I really ummed and ahhed about was McAvoy. His production was fine, he was still comfortably the Bruins’ best defender and took on a huge workload, still clear he’s very very good at his job. But at the same time this was definitely a backwards step compared to his last couple of seasons, he remains prone to the odd defensive lapse, and his PP work was underwhelming. So I did land on ‘below expectations’ for him, but I do want to emphasise that I still thought he had a perfectly decent season, just not quite what he’s fully capable of.

Whereas Marchand even more obviously regressed but at his age and mileage I fully expected that at least to some degree, and I though overall he was ok and for the most part proved that making him captain was the right call.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston

Exceeded Expectations:

Morgan Geekie
Danton Heinen
Kevin Shattenkirk
Jesper Boqvist
Brandon Carlo
Parker Wotherspoon

Met Expectations:

Mason Lohrei
John Beecher
Pavel Zacha
Charlie Coyle
Trent Frederick
James van Reimsdyk
David Pastrnak
Matt Grzelcyk
Jeremy Swayman

Below Expectations:

Brad Marchand
Charlie McAvoy
Jake DeBrusk
Hampus Lindholm
Jakub Lauko
Linus Ullmark

To say McAvoy was below Expectations is fruit loops, spare the plus minus crap.

Ullmark?

You have below expectations on two team MVP's

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
I agree with all of those.
I would just put Carlo in the meets category. He made his usually blunders of not clearing the crease or puck.
And I would put Ullmark in the meets category as well. Hes been what I expected. I never expected a repaeat of his regular season last year.
I would also maybe bump Pasta up to exceeded. He had a great year without playing with a real #1 center all season.
Pasta below expectations other than his playmaking, that was off the charts this season.

His lack of reading the moment is baffling with his costly turnovers

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Actually without the two goaltenders the B's would be toast,Can add Charlie McAvoy as well.

When McAvoy was suspended this season, Bruins went 3-1 with wins against Toronto & Dallas. Lost to Montreal on his return.

Last season Bruins went 11-2 to start the season without Charlie.

Reactions: Ladyfan

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Heinen (E) Zacha (M) Pastrnak (M)

Marchand (M) Coyle (E) DeBrusk (B)

Frederic (M) Geekie (E) Brazilla (E)

Beecher (E) Boqvist (E) Lauko (M)

JVR (M)

Lindholm (M) McAvoy (E)

Grzelcyk (B) Carlo (M)

Lohrei (M) Peeke (E)