Player Discussion: Who are your current must-have Capitals?

ryan519*

Thats good. Always in the back of my mind after these disappointing seasons

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
OV, Backstrom, Kuznetsov, Alzner, Carlson, Orlov, Holtby are untouchables in my mind. Guys I wouldn't trade unless we get a killer deal are Wilson, Carrick, Kundratek, Burakovski, Schmidt. I'm very surprised how many here have left Backstrom off their list. What exactly would you expect in return for him? Out best center is expendable on a team with a dearth of quality centers?

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
The only player on our roster that we could not replace, is Ovechkin.

All the rest of our players, can be more easily replaced. That is why some do not consider Backstrom untouchable. He is young and on a great contract so he would fetch at comparable 1C in return, if not more, no? Even a noob GM after chilling in a hammock in Minnesota for 10 years is not going to move him for peanuts.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
Ovie's the only one and if his game doesn't progress under Trotz...

The rest I'd trade or let walk in a heartbeat if I thought it'd improve the team. Nick, Holtby, calzner, Kuz, orlov, wilson and green I'd rate our best assets, so obviously I'd expect legit value for those types.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
OV, Backstrom, Kuznetsov, Alzner, Carlson, Orlov, Holtby are untouchables in my mind. Guys I wouldn't trade unless we get a killer deal are Wilson, Carrick, Kundratek, Burakovski, Schmidt. I'm very surprised how many here have left Backstrom off their list. What exactly would you expect in return for him? Out best center is expendable on a team with a dearth of quality centers?

With all the focus on Ovechkin's game I think sometimes Nicky's regressions and disappointments fly under the radar. Hopefully someone in the org can help figure him out. I feel like he could be so much better if he was put in his best situation and re dedicated himself.

All this while recognizing he's having a fabulous career and is clearly our second best player. I'm just not sure if he's played his best the last couple of years and if this is his ceiling, hell, Boston traded Joe Thornton and haven't looked back.

Everyone is tradeable or fireable all the time and folks on the caps need to start playing/acting like it.

Ultimately this includes Ovechkin too.

Last edited:

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Ovie's NTC kicks in on July 1st, so it is the draft or never so to speak. After that date Ovie holds all the cards.

malyk

Apr 15, 2007
The City by the Bay
In one of the articles this week Trotz said that Backstrom was the best all around player on the team. So the feeling in the org certainly seems to be that nick is untouchable right now.

LifetimeUFA

Apr 12, 2014
I think Nick just needs to get his confidence back, i dont think he has had it since his concussion a couple seasons ago. I dont know what it will take to get it back though. I also think he needs to drop some weight and improve his speed

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad