Player Discussion: Tyler Ennis - Top Line Winger Edition

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Ennis is here for league minimum and is only a stop-gap until Nylander comes back. If Ennis is still slotted on the top line a week after Nylanders return then ill start getting concerned.

But when the goal is first in the division to avoid the Bruins-Bolts path to the conference finals, these 2 points to teams like the Sens come back to haunt you.

I highly doubt Leafs lose last night if Babcock stacked the top 2 lines. We don't have JVR and Bozak any more. This 3 line crap can't work without Nylander.

Only thing helping me stay calm is the fact Pens got smashed by Habs 5-1 lol.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
There IS a clear logic though to where he jks. It allows the other three lines to remain consistent and build up chemistry and so when Nyalnder eventually signs it doesn’t lead to a huge team wide disruption.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
I'm impressed with Ennis, nice skill set and tries hard, defiantly an NHL player.

ICECOLDBEER

Apr 2, 2017
I don't get the unwillingness to switch the lines up mid game. Things were not working and still had to wait till the end of the third to make any changes... Also pulling the top PP off after only 40 seconds.... Play them the full two mins! I don't care how tired they are!!!! I have to imagine it's Babcock pulling them off. Let AM,MM,JT come off the ice on a powerplay when they want to!!!

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Let's say when Nylander does sign and is ready to play in his first game, is Babcock going to automatically put him back on Matthews line or will he leave Ennis on there? My thinking is if he put Ennis on there during training camp, the preseason games and so far two games into the regular season, which you can say was just handed to him instead of someone like Kapanen who has been with the team a lot longer, would he at least reunite Matthews and Nylander who have played together a lot longer.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
True, but these league min vets are for the bottom 6.

Look at Pens:

Guenztel-Crosby-Hornqvist

Hagelin-Malkin-Kessel

Then look at Caps:

Ovi-Kuznetsov-Connolly

Vrana-Backstrom-Oshie

Then we have the Leafs:

Marleau-Matthews-Ennis

Hyman-Tavares-Marner

That's horrible. How can any team call that top 6 a contender. Easily a playoff team yes but not a contender.

Simple fix:

Marleau-Matthews-Marner

Kadri-Tavares-Kapanen

I don't understand the current lines. We can't outplay Habs or Sens with them. Wtf is going to happen when we come across an actual contender lol.

Kapanen is completely void of hockey sense and shouldn't be anywhere near our top-6. He needs to be in a compartmentalized bottom-6 & PK role to be effective. Ennis can at least process the game at a top-6 level even if his body holds him back.

TAYGB52

Sep 20, 2018
Kapanen is completely void of hockey sense and shouldn't be anywhere near our top-6. He needs to be in a compartmentalized bottom-6 & PK role to be effective. Ennis can at least process the game at a top-6 level even if his body holds him back.
I have to disagree with your assessment of Kapanen. Kappy isn’t at all devoid of hockey sense but he’s a young guy learning to play at the top level where things happen sooo quickly. I believe that once he settles in, you’ll start to notice that he’s actually pretty good at reading and reacting. He’s already show those qualities on the p.k and as young guys develop, at this level, the puck starts to slow down on their stick and they start making those quick, smart plays more frequently.

TAYGB52

Sep 20, 2018
I have to disagree with your assessment of Kapanen. Kappy isn’t at all devoid of hockey sense but he’s a young guy learning to play at the top level where things happen sooo quickly. I believe that once he settles in, you’ll start to notice that he’s actually pretty good at reading and reacting. He’s already show those qualities on the p.k and as young guys develop, at this level, the puck starts to slow down on their stick and they start making those quick, smart plays more frequently.
And if I’m wrong...we’ll have a pretty damn good third liner with awesome speed and the ability to be absolutely lethal on penalty kill!

TDotMassive

Jul 13, 2018
6ix
Ennis has been playing above his contract, but you can't expect him to be Nylander. The biggest deficiency he has is size... he got pushed around a lot last night.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
See, I like how shifty he is and he knows not to hold the puck for too long, but I feel bad for Matthews. He gets shoehorned with Hyman(s) for so long. Ennis, like Hyman, is out of his element playing top line minutes. Nylander coming back will make that top line one of the best in the NHL bar none. If anything, I would love to see Kapanen up there with Matthews, seeing as how his speed alone would be enough to create space, he's got a better shot and better hands and he's bigger and stronger too.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
See, I like how shifty he is and he knows not to hold the puck for too long, but I feel bad for Matthews. He gets shoehorned with Hyman(s) for so long. Ennis, like Hyman, is out of his element playing top line minutes. Nylander coming back will make that top line one of the best in the NHL bar none. If anything, I would love to see Kapanen up there with Matthews, seeing as how his speed alone would be enough to create space, he's got a better shot and better hands and he's bigger and stronger too.
Once Nylander signs and is ready to play do you think Babcock will automatically put him back on Matthews line and take Ennis off it? If that does not happen people will than say he's doing it to teach Nylander a lesson about not re-signing and having it extend into the regular season.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Once Nylander signs and is ready to play do you think Babcock will automatically put him back on Matthews line and take Ennis off it? If that does not happen people will than say he's doing it to teach Nylander a lesson about not re-signing and having it extend into the regular season.

If Babcock is that stupid, then I'd expect there to be an uproar. That compromises higher chances of winning.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
If Babcock is that stupid, then I'd expect there to be an uproar. That compromises higher chances of winning.
Remember last season when he put together the line of Marleau-Kadri-Marner which he said they would try for 1 game and were successful and there was others saying why would he break them up? Obviously we know that did not happen, still I wouldn't put it past Babcock to think about doing something like that.

IceColdBear

Apr 5, 2016
Tyler Ennis is not a good hockey player.

He gets knocked off the puck too easily, and I hate watching him on the 2nd powerplay unit.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Remember last season when he put together the line of Marleau-Kadri-Marner which he said they would try for 1 game and were successful and there was others saying why would he break them up? Obviously we know that did not happen, still I wouldn't put it past Babcock to think about doing something like that.
They were bullies in grade-8 that when they got to high-school, ended up not being so tough. 'Successful' could only be a term used against easier teams.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
He’s very soft on the puck. Would rather one of the kids

What kid would you suggest should be on the roster instead of Ennis? This guy isn't in anyone's way, right now. Any foreward that is NHL ready is already getting in games. Even Johnsson, who isn't NHL quality.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
What kid would you suggest should be on the roster instead of Ennis? This guy isn't in anyone's way, right now. Any foreward that is NHL ready is already getting in games. Even Johnsson, who isn't NHL quality.

Someone who is willing to throw a body check or face wash someone. I thought Connor Brown was redundant on this team but my god does Ennis fill 0 needs on this club

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016

I wouldn’t mind giving Grundstrom a shot.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I would rather put a bigger player on the 4th line with a mean streak. Might as well at grit on the 4th line if they wont see much ice time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad