Player Discussion: Tyler Ennis - Top Line Winger Edition

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
Well, we're 2 games into the season now and Tyler Ennis is currently our top line RW (or at least 2nd line RW, depending on which number you feel Matthews' line is). Personally, can't say I'm impressed. No doubt he tries hard out there and while I appreciate the effort, I feel he would be better served lower in the lineup. Someone like Kappy I think would do much better in Ennis' spot until Willy returns.

What does everyone else think about Ennis?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I think he's become the new Zach Hyman of Matthews line and by that I mean everyone wants him to no longer play on his line and we rather see someone like Kaspari Kapanen get a chance.

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
/\ Wizard, sad when Leafs fans literally expect the same terrible line management from our "all star genius head coach"

Fine with him on the 4th line, as it stands now he is on his way to becoming the new Hyman aka someone who doesn't belong anywhere near our top lines, but Mr.AccountabilityForThyButNotForMe Babcock puts him there.

And I 100000000000000000000000000000% agree about Kapanen, I was talking to another Leafs fan before the game today and I literally said the exact same thing, he is like our new whipping boy though, despite all his talent and tools we bury him for a 3rd/4th liner like we did to Mitch last year for Komarov.

Reactions: weems

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
The problem with him being the new Hyman is Marleau was supposed to be the new Hyman for that line.

Matthews is with two Hyman's now.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
The problem with him being the new Hyman is Marleau was supposed to be the new Hyman for that line.

Matthews is with two Hyman's now.
In my opinion Marleau at least deserves the benefit of the doubt because of his experience and he still scored 27 goals last season. Plus it was Marleau setting up Matthews for the OT goal against Montreal.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
In my opinion Marleau at least deserves the benefit of the doubt because of his experience and he still scored 27 goals last season. Plus it was Marleau setting up Matthews for the OT goal against Montreal.

Yeah I like Marleau on the team just not as one of the top 2 players on the first line. He's perfect for the "Hyman" role for Matthews-Nylander duo.

Marleau and Ennis on one line just doesn't feel like a contending team to me. If your top six has Marleau and Ennis in it, you better have a stacked defence to explain why your top 6 is that weak.

Our defence isn't really that stacked though.

It's amazing how missing one guy and this weird lines Babcock is running can make a rich team look poor.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Ennis hasn't been that bad honestly. For what we pay him it's hard to expect so much. We have been spoiled with Nylander on Matthews' wing the past 2 years so not seeing that line dominate like it has in the past is hard, but we still have had some great moments. Ennis setup Marleau on a great cross-crease play which Anderson made a great save on. I guess i don't have such high expectations of Ennis because i am expecting Nylander back soon, but who knows if it will happen? I'd love to see Kapanen on the first line though, he's played some shifts with Matthews over the years and they've had a bit of chemistry. Couldn't hurt to try. I know that Babcock wants Ennis on the first line as a placeholder for Nylander this way all the other lines can get acclimated with their regular combinations, but if something isn't working don't just change it for one shift. Nothing is going to happen with one shift.

Anyway, PP looks awesome for sure, 5v5 leaves a lot to be desired because we are a 5v5 beast, so that needs to improve ASAP. Defensive zone breakouts, player support has to be improved. The stretch pass is eating at me.

Reactions: NoTouchIcing

sittler rules!!!

Feb 9, 2004
I keep saying try Leivo w/Matthews, or move Leivo up with Marner and JT and Hyman back w/Matthews.
Leivio is a big body, that can shoot.

93WrapAround

Jul 4, 2018
I don't get why people use the argument 'well we don't pay him much so he's been solid'. No, he's being played on the FIRST line, you know with our best player. He's been terrible imo, hasn't done anything but lose offensive zone possessions for their line by getting knocked around in the corner and off the puck. Marner is 10x as strong on the puck. He's been a big drag on Matthews 5 on 5 and you'd have to think Babs will move on from this experiment soon if he doesn't start generating any creativity or scoring chances soon.

Reactions: FishManSam

TheBigThree

Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Feel bad for matthews, first hyman now ennis. Marleau is 39 and sure he's still really fast blah blah blah but he's 39 and past his prime

Hclass47

Apr 28, 2018
Don’t expect much. He’s just keeping Willy’s seat warm til he gets back.

I agree with others, Kapi would excel on this line. He’s similar to Willy and plays with more of an edge

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I was all over him first half of last night, but to be fair he played decent after that. His biggest problem is that he is a clear liability defensively. Give Kappy a shot up there.

The Kessel Run

Jun 7, 2011
Good effort out there but he’s getting crushed down low every single cycle. Not a good fit.

bansheebeat

Cherry-Coloured Funk
Jul 31, 2011
The second half of the game he made some decent plays and was pretty noticeable. I hate to say this, but I see him leaving the 1st line due to injury sooner than later. He's small and shifty but hasn't figured out how to escape contact the way Marner has. He gets bodied a few times each game and can seemingly take a bit of punishment but he's going to get rocked one of these days.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Ennis played very well in last nights game, his back pass on Matthews goal was pretty good and he is just a stand in until Nylander is signed and returns to take that RW position, also Kapenan played well on the forth line and was very effective on the PK, I see no reason to have these players change lines.
Nylander would replace either player when he returns.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
He's out of his depth, and warming Willy's seat is not going to be fair to him.

With that said, I'm growing to dislike his game. My overarching impression so far is that he makes a ton of plays that are not based on a read. Even his best play of the night felt like that. Just a behind the back drop pass back to the left side. If it wasn't for Marleau's speed, that would have been a dead pass straight to a Sens player for no reason. Now Marleau overtook that player and got the puck, and it created a goal. Plenty of other times, those passes just went nowhere.

I think at this point in time, he's likely a skilled depth option. It feels like he's trying really, really hard to show that he can be more, but for me it has just highlighted his limitations. We have two guys stuck on a fourth line that need an opportunity to show they can be contributors, so I don't quite understand why he plays ahead of them.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Won't be there long IMO. Just a matter of time until Johnson and Kapanen climb the lineup and 2 of Ennis, Leivo, Brown drop.

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
I thought he did well last night. He doesn't have the high end skill like Willie, but he battled hard and came up & protected the pucks in the corner.

He is not a top line winger.

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
Ennis has been fine IMO. It's not his fault that Babcock for whatever reason is trying to shoehorn him in. Kapanen has earned a chance at that spot.

Ennis has been fine. Matthews is our top producer next to Marner and JT. He is not being dragged down at all.

The leafs need Kappys speed on the top two lines. He’s being wasted on the fourth line.

Babs should try it out. Lets hope he does. Kap has size, speed and has flashes of brilliance from time to time.
Marleau - AM - Kappy = Solid 6ft + strength line with scary speed with a shot.

Ennis hasn't been that bad honestly. For what we pay him it's hard to expect so much. We have been spoiled with Nylander on Matthews' wing the past 2 years so not seeing that line dominate like it has in the past is hard, but we still have had some great moments. Ennis setup Marleau on a great cross-crease play which Anderson made a great save on. I guess i don't have such high expectations of Ennis because i am expecting Nylander back soon, but who knows if it will happen? I'd love to see Kapanen on the first line though, he's played some shifts with Matthews over the years and they've had a bit of chemistry. Couldn't hurt to try. I know that Babcock wants Ennis on the first line as a placeholder for Nylander this way all the other lines can get acclimated with their regular combinations, but if something isn't working don't just change it for one shift. Nothing is going to happen with one shift.

Anyway, PP looks awesome for sure, 5v5 leaves a lot to be desired because we are a 5v5 beast, so that needs to improve ASAP. Defensive zone breakouts, player support has to be improved. The stretch pass is eating at me.

Pretty much this.

Matthews has 3 goals and 1 assists in 2 games. Why are we talking about this?

and this too.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
He's out of his depth, and warming Willy's seat is not going to be fair to him.

With that said, I'm growing to dislike his game. My overarching impression so far is that he makes a ton of plays that are not based on a read. Even his best play of the night felt like that. Just a behind the back drop pass back to the left side. If it wasn't for Marleau's speed, that would have been a dead pass straight to a Sens player for no reason. Now Marleau overtook that player and got the puck, and it created a goal. Plenty of other times, those passes just went nowhere.

I think at this point in time, he's likely a skilled depth option. It feels like he's trying really, really hard to show that he can be more, but for me it has just highlighted his limitations. We have two guys stuck on a fourth line that need an opportunity to show they can be contributors, so I don't quite understand why he plays ahead of them.
I think he fooled me in the preseason with his hard work. He darts into traffic but doesn't seem to win many board battles. He can make a short pass but doesn't seem to have the vision to run with Matthews or Marleau.

I get the impression that maybe he'd work with Kadri if that whole line can muck it up. Maybe a Leivo-Kadri-Ennis line. Even then I'm not sure I trust him enough defensively if Babcock wants to use that line to shutdown others.

Reactions: Nithoniniel

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad