Player Discussion Thread: James Reimer 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mad Brills*

the AAV, while high isn't a crazy ask. 1 million too high yes, but not awful.

6 ****ING YEARS THOUGH??????

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
*Waiting for Deepz and Babchuk to defend him*

:popcorn:

It's negotiations. You start high and get a counter. They probably meet at around a 4.5x3 or something.

You ask for the world so you can have a high starting position. That's what Bautista is doing. That's what Kadri did.

It's not that hard to understand actually.

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
Reimers agent seems pissed about Cox's comments:

How Cox comes up with his "insider information"

latest

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Backups don't make 6 million.
Reimer is glad to leave Toronto after how badly he was treated in Toronto.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Of course. But some people on this board want it to be true so, so badly just to slag Reims. Typical.

This is gold honestly. People slag Bernier over everything, even things he has no control over, and you're complaining about people having a laugh at Reimers outrageous demands? :help:

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
This is gold honestly. People slag Bernier over everything, even things he has no control over, and you're complaining about people having a laugh at Reimers outrageous demands? :help:

Reimer's agent is saying it's wrong. It's also a negotiation starting point, not a demand. Again, this is not a difficult concept to understand if you take the Reimer hate blinders off.

I slag Bernier for his play, which has been god awful this season. I've slagged him from day one because I don't think he's a starting goalie and find him to be frankly, bad.

LeafsMonster

Marlanderthews
Feb 3, 2012
Toronto

He's saying that people are quick to jump to believe reimer actually demanded that. Truth is we don't know. On one hand cox is saying he did, on the other his agent is refuting it.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
okay - truth be told. negotiation or not - there are just some places I personally wouldn't start.
even starting at 6 million to work your way down -is dumb, because Price, Rask, etc make 6.5ish. I don't think anyone would have said boo to a dickey bird if that number started at 5 (which is Quick territory - but you work round to what Dubnyk ended up).

unless Cox pulled it out of his behind (which wouldn't surprise me) - that "6" came from somewhere and I think it totally deserves an eyebrow raise, and a :laugh: because it's nuts.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Even if that was a 'starting point' it's still dillusional.

This asks the question

Was Reimer really hard done by? Sounds more like a prissy employee that far overvalues their worth.

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
okay - truth be told. negotiation or not - there are just some places I personally wouldn't start.
even starting at 6 million to work your way down -is dumb, because Price, Rask, etc make 6.5ish. I don't think anyone would have said boo to a dickey bird if that number started at 5 (which is Quick territory - but you work round to what Dubnyk ended up).

unless Cox pulled it out of his behind (which wouldn't surprise me) - that "6" came from somewhere and I think it totally deserves an eyebrow raise, and a :laugh: because it's nuts.

Agents negotiate on behalf of a player and in many instances, start at about 2 - 2.5 times what they think they will settle at. Teams counter well below where they will eventually settle at.

This happens all the time. What was the leak about Kadri's contract demands? Almost all negotiations start this way.

The fact that his agent is refuting it is all that needs to be said. The leak is just used by people to bash Reimer (or any player they don't like) when in fact, players are very rarely involved in negotiations, especially early-on.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Reimer's agent is saying it's wrong. It's also a negotiation starting point, not a demand. Again, this is not a difficult concept to understand if you take the Reimer hate blinders off.

I slag Bernier for his play, which has been god awful this season. I've slagged him from day one because I don't think he's a starting goalie and find him to be frankly, bad.

Yeah, yeah, I've gathered that you slag on Bernier nearly every chance you got and rarely give acknowledgment when he's played well.

Let's say 6M is a starting point however, and any reasonable poster would say he's worth 4M, at most. You're still looking at ~5M(Middle point) in AAV for someone who has proven next to nothing in this league. It's a ludicrous ask or "starting point", no matter how you slice it. If there's any truth it, Lou Lam probably laughed in his face and showed him the door.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
I'm going off the info I have

You have provided none

Thank you for your hypothetical negotiation advice

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
Yeah, yeah, I've gathered that you slag on Bernier nearly every chance you got and rarely give acknowledgment when he's played well.

Let's say 6M is a starting point however, and any reasonable poster would say he's worth 4M, at most. You're still looking at ~5M(Middle point) in AAV for someone who has proven next to nothing in this league. It's a ludicrous ask or "starting point", no matter how you slice it. If there's any truth it, Lou Lam probably laughed in his face and showed him the door.

I give him acknowledgement when he plays well almost all of the time. In fact, I sometimes post on his thread after a good game well before you do. Although you seem to pepper the game day threads with unwarranted praise for Bernier even while he's letting in 4 goals.

Reimer deserves more than Bernier, that's not even debatable. So he would be somewhere around 4.5.

IF he starts at 6, and his agent is refuting that, that's in line with asking for about 1.5x what they'll eventually settle at.

Agent negotiations with teams fluctuate until a compromise is made. People who are using this to slag Reimer seem to think this is Reimer saying "I want a 6x6 or I'm not playing hockey". That's not what it is at all.

But it's okay, the hate for Reimer is fun to watch. You have your wish, Bernier is here and Reimer is gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad