Player Discussion Thread: James Reimer 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
It is a NO BRAINER to re-sign Reimer.

Trading him would be foolish, as I doubt we would get a good enough return to warrant doing such a thing.

Bernier is not the guy, and you can't force Sparks/Bibeau into roles they may or many not be suited for this early in their careers.

On top of that, Reims has improved his play, can play in the Toronto Hockey market, would (probably) come at a discount and is a good locker room guy. Just failing to see a downside here.

All Reimer needs to be elite right now is goal support.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
It is a NO BRAINER to re-sign Reimer.

Trading him would be foolish, as I doubt we would get a good enough return to warrant doing such a thing.

Bernier is not the guy, and you can't force Sparks/Bibeau into roles they may or many not be suited for this early in their careers.

On top of that, Reims has improved his play, can play in the Toronto Hockey market, would (probably) come at a discount and is a good locker room guy. Just failing to see a downside here.

All Reimer needs to be elite right now is goal support.

The only problem with this that I can see is the discount. At this rate he may be worth a significant raise in both money and term. If not to the Leafs maybe to another team.

KILLERLEAFFAN101

Jan 19, 2008
Toronto
Yea ive seen him never play more then 37 games in a single season. Ive seen him let in 4 goals in 10 minutes in the playoffs. Ive seen him play great for 3 or 4 games and then let in simple shots and cost us games. Im over him. Unless you think hes a top 10 goalie why keep him were not competing for the playoffs for a couple more years whats the point? Lets see keep Reimer or assure us the best shot at Matthews easy decision for me.

You seem like a hater if you ask me haha.

He's a far better goalie than he was as a rookie and that was a gear he was above .920.

I'd much rather not trade a goalie whose posting elite stats this year. People call it a fluke? He's done it before with far worse defensive teams.

He hasn't played more than 37 games? Do you fault him for coming up as a rookie and almost taking a team to the playoffs? Do you fault him for a player hitting him and giving him whiplash? Do you fault him for a lockout shortened season on one of the worst defensive squads in NHL history which gave up the most shots per game in history?

Do you seriously fault him for the last two years of play? Confidence does wonders my friend.

Anyone who knows me or on here know that I'm an avid supporter of Reimer. And I'll continue to be, because all he does is continues to prove people wrong.

(Side note about whiplash, i was in an accident a month ago, and am still having effects from it. It's some pretty serious ****.)

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
Congrats Reims! Shootout win on top of that.

With that win I wonder if he will move up to first in the league for save percentage

Also wondering does he get the start vs Ottawa lol

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I don't think either of the goalies are long-term solutions
But I don't know which one to keep for now.
I don't want to see Reimer get a 4-5 mill deal for the next 5 years, that's for sure
But he's not going to take a 2 year deal

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
it very easily could also be a situation where Shanahan explains the situation thusly:

you're having a great year, we're not close to anything yet, but we do want you back, we're not going to accomplish anything, so we're going to try to move you to a team where, you may be a backup (or you could have a starting chance, we can't determine that), do your best, and if things work out we'll bring you back into the fold.

This is a great thing. It comes down to how much money a draft pick is worth for us and since money isn't a problem this could be the best for both, James and the Leafs. Good would be if they could agree on money before the deadline and then they tell him we will pay you $xxxxxx per year more if you sign in July.

gtforepro

Feb 9, 2013
Toronto
NoDepositBonus.cc
I'm loving Reimer lately, but don't you have to move him if you get a decent offer? Unless you picture him lifting the cup in a Leaf jersey 7 years from now, you trade him, right?

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Reimer will likely sign a 5 year deal.
or he walks.

The Leafs must be shopping him huge ... although the goalie market is weak.
I'd say his trade value is at a all time high.

I'd also be happy if the Leafs kept him. I've always liked Reimer, but his performance before this year has been weak.

I probably wouldn't trade him, but I am really worried he walks. Leaf Nation has treated him poorly. I wonder if he is already walking and will be a Jet next year. Back to his home town. Away from the circus of Leaf Nation which never suited his personality. Book it.

Last edited:

Shanty

July hockey is where bridges are burned
Jan 9, 2010
Toronto
More and more, I'm okay re-signing him.

I can't make statements in favour of Bernier anymore when I see Reims playing with this confidence, consistency, and elite-level statistics (Even if they're temporary).

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
or he walks.

Id trade him then. Get a 2nd + 4th or whatever his value is, and move on. Let one of Calgary, Carolina, etc roll the dice on a 5 year deal based on a small sample size in a contract year.

Ive seen too many bad contracts bite teams in the butt when they rewarded a guy for a career year in his contract year, just to oh so surprisingly see him regress back to his career averages afterwards. Lupul, Clarkson, Blake, etc.

If he's willing to sign a 2 year deal, then I'd keep him. Good play for less than 30 games after two weak seasons back-to-back doesnt get you a 5 year contract IMO.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
We can only hope the next goalie the organization develops for 10 years reaches his level. I am not sure why anyone is eager to throw that away just to save 2 or 3 mil cap space.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Dude is money. Now and in the future. He will be well worth a 5+ year contract.

We trade him on the deadline. Get a 3rd round pick. Resign him during summer

The St.Louis Blues method to rebuild. Done.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
or he walks.

I'd also be happy if the Leafs kept him. I've always liked Reimer, but his performance before this year has been weak.

I probably wouldn't trade him, but I am really worried he walks. Leaf Nation has treated him poorly. I wonder if he is already walking and will be a Jet next year. Back to his home town. Away from the circus of Leaf Nation which never suited his personality. Book it.

so who is going to give him 5 years then?

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas

that rarely works.

maybe 1 and 20 trades work out that way.

People act as if it's a given.

during a rebuild you still need relatively good goaltending. the leafs need stable goaltending during the rebuild more than they need a 3rd round pick. look at edmonton.

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas
Id trade him then. Get a 2nd + 4th or whatever his value is, and move on. Let one of Calgary, Carolina, etc roll the dice on a 5 year deal based on a small sample size in a contract year.

Except let's ignore the fact that over the last decade, Reimer places in the top 10 of high danger save percentages - EXCLUDING this year from the statistics.
:shakehead

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas
We can only hope the next goalie the organization develops for 10 years reaches his level. I am not sure why anyone is eager to throw that away just to save 2 or 3 mil cap space.

if that.

not to mention that over the next 3-4 years, the leafs really should not have any cap issues until all the kids come off of ELC's.

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
Yeah this isn't an easy decision for me. I'd rather not sign Reimer to a long term deal just because we can afford it. I don't want to overpay "good" players. I would rather roll the dice for a great player.

There is certainly no rush to be good

JonnyMacAwesome

Jan 27, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Yeah this isn't an easy decision for me. I'd rather not sign Reimer to a long term deal just because we can afford it. I don't want to overpay "good" players. I would rather roll the dice for a great player.

Babcock has stated many times he wants the Leafs even right now to be competitive, night in and night out. You need a steady goaltender to help that happen.

To me, Reimer has proven he can be that guy...without a doubt. Re-signing him for 5+ years is a logical move. It doesn't handcuff you when you're a strong team, but it keeps you in games while we re-build...we won't get blown out every night with Reimer backstopping the buds.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
or he walks.

"performance this year has been weak" Wow.

Reimer has the best save percentage in the league right now and if the leafs could score some goals he'd be getting consideration for the Vezina.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario

Nah, trade Bernier. Its high time the Leafs give Reimer a showing of LOYALTY as the starter. Like they should have the season after Leafs made playoffs.

And I'm sure Reimer would like nothing better than to see that happen over being shipped out as a rental.

But who knows with Lou?

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Babcock has stated many times he wants the Leafs even right now to be competitive, night in and night out. You need a steady goaltender to help that happen.

To me, Reimer has proven he can be that guy...without a doubt. Re-signing him for 5+ years is a logical move. It doesn't handcuff you when you're a strong team, but it keeps you in games while we re-build...we won't get blown out every night with Reimer backstopping the buds.

How? How has he proven he can even handle the load of being the #1 guy? He hasn't.
Aren't we through overpaying players who put up good numbers in a contract year? people are looking at this season only it seems....and still over-looking the fact he was injured for s stretch yet again

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas

yes, but I think it says alot to the organization that if you work hard in the off season to improve yourself, take advantage of situations that occur during the year to show your worth - that you will be rewarded.

Babcock has made that point alot this season, especially with Reimer. and it's a lesson I'm sure the leafs want to foster with the younger leafs.

is the lesson worth maybe 1m+ more a season? I think it could.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad