Player Discussion Thread: James Reimer 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

BodaciousBeefBazooka

Go Leafs Go
Apr 4, 2013
Toronto
It's negotiations. You start high and get a counter. They probably meet at around a 4.5x3 or something.

You ask for the world so you can have a high starting position. That's what Bautista is doing. That's what Kadri did.

It's not that hard to understand actually.

Exactly, it's like pawn stars :sarcasm:

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
I give him acknowledgement when he plays well almost all of the time. In fact, I sometimes post on his thread after a good game well before you do. Although you seem to pepper the game day threads with unwarranted praise for Bernier even while he's letting in 4 goals.

Reimer deserves more than Bernier, that's not even debatable. So he would be somewhere around 4.5.

IF he starts at 6, and his agent is refuting that, that's in line with asking for about 1.5x what they'll eventually settle at.

Agent negotiations with teams fluctuate until a compromise is made. People who are using this to slag Reimer seem to think this is Reimer saying "I want a 6x6 or I'm not playing hockey". That's not what it is at all.

But it's okay, the hate for Reimer is fun to watch. You have your wish, Bernier is here and Reimer is gone.

How? Bernier was coming off of back to back 50+ game seasons with SV% of .923 and .912 respectively. Reimer hasn't played more than 40 ever in his career and he's hit a rut of late, with dipping numbers across the board. Currently sits at .918 if you're wondering. I don't think you could make a logical argument as to why Reimer deserves to be paid more than Bernier. If you can, I'm all ears.

And fwiw, I'm merely lukewarm on Bernier. He was pretty good tonight yes, but the team wasn't, and we all know if a certain someone was in net you'd have a different opinion on the game.

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
Exactly, it's like pawn stars :sarcasm:

The only difference is the player is usually not involved in what that starting point is. Agents use comparative numbers, if Dubnyk's negotiation numbers started at 6M, they would probably use that to start Reimer's negotiation.

In all fairness, the player is only made aware when a decision has to be made like, "will you take a three year deal at a higher AAV?"

This is why a lot of players are embarrassed when this stuff leaks because fans misinterpret it as a demand, when it's really the beginning of a negotiation.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
I don't even dislike Reimer, but his fans really make it tough not to sometimes.

I have no delusions that Bernier is on borrowed time either, in case anyone wants to call me a "fanboy" or what have you.

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
How? Bernier was coming off of back to back 50+ game seasons with SV% of .923 and .912 respectively. Reimer hasn't played more than 40 ever in his career and he's hit a rut of late, with dipping numbers across the board. Currently sits at .918 if you're wondering. I don't think you could make a logical argument as to why Reimer deserves to be paid more than Bernier. If you can, I'm all ears.

And fwiw, I'm merely lukewarm on Bernier. He was pretty good tonight yes, but the team wasn't, and we all know if a certain someone was in net you'd have a different opinion on the game.

Do you remember when they took Bernier to arbitration? They weren't very keen on paying Bernier. He was looking for a longer deal, they gave him 2 years.

In case you missed the Lou presser today he didn't mention Bernier. He said this deal was made to see what they had in the kids. I bring those two points up to establish that they seem to like Reimer. This plays into where Reimer deserves to get more than Bernier, if hypothetically, the Leafs wanted to sign him. I don't think they will, but if they do, there's an established rapport Reimer has developed, Bernier has not.

Reimer would negotiate now and have a large sample where he was top-5 in the league in save percentage, better than Bernier in high danger zone percentage and a better career SVPCT than Bernier. In fact, Bernier has trended down, scarily similar to Trevor Kidd in that way, and Reimer has trended up. Is it Reimer's fault he didn't play 40 games in the last two seasons when Bernier was anointed? When a good coach came in, he got the net finally this year, he outdueled Bernier by as wide of a margin as you can imagine.

Reimer is a better goaltender than Bernier, rrc has posted stat after stat. He deserves more than Bernier, but not by too much because Bernier got more than he deserved. 4.5M I would say, depending on term.

If Reimer was in net tonight, I wouldn't post how well he was doing in the game day thread. I'm not sure if you were trying to convince others or yourself.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
is that true, 6M for Reimer for multiple years? Come on now. wtf was his agent thinking.. proposing that to Leafs management would have soured the tastes in their mouths right away and the meeting would have lasted about 45 seconds.

If they had come forward with a reasonable demand, then maybe the meeting could have lasted 3 minutes.

Still either way, he wasn't going to be re-signed, they wanted Reimer out of here. How the hell does a backup make 6M a year? That can't be right.

MikeBabchuk

Mike Bobcat
May 24, 2013
Toronto

Bernier is vile.

MikeBabchuk

Mike Bobcat
May 24, 2013
Toronto
is that true, 6M for Reimer for multiple years? Come on now. wtf was his agent thinking.. proposing that to Leafs management would have soured the tastes in their mouths right away and the meeting would have lasted about 45 seconds.

If they had come forward with a reasonable demand, then maybe the meeting could have lasted 3 minutes.

Still either way, he wasn't going to be re-signed, they wanted Reimer out of here. How the hell does a backup make 6M a year? That can't be right.

What do you think Bernier's agent was asking for last summer? Sure didn't seem to be very agreeable... Maybe 8x8?

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Do you remember when they took Bernier to arbitration? They weren't very keen on paying Bernier. He was looking for a longer deal, they gave him 2 years.

In case you missed the Lou presser today he didn't mention Bernier. He said this deal was made to see what they had in the kids. I bring those two points up to establish that they seem to like Reimer. This plays into where Reimer deserves to get more than Bernier, if hypothetically, the Leafs wanted to sign him. I don't think they will, but if they do, there's an established rapport Reimer has developed, Bernier has not.

Reimer would negotiate now and have a large sample where he was top-5 in the league in save percentage, better than Bernier in high danger zone percentage and a better career SVPCT than Bernier. In fact, Bernier has trended down, scarily similar to Trevor Kidd in that way, and Reimer has trended up. Is it Reimer's fault he didn't play 40 games in the last two seasons when Bernier was anointed? When a good coach came in, he got the net finally this year, he outdueled Bernier by as wide of a margin as you can imagine.

Reimer is a better goaltender than Bernier, rrc has posted stat after stat. He deserves more than Bernier, but not by too much because Bernier got more than he deserved. 4.5M I would say, depending on term.

If Reimer was in net tonight, I wouldn't post how well he was doing in the game day thread. I'm not sure if you were trying to convince others or yourself.

For the first time in his career. Well done Reims! :laugh: Using high danger in isolation as to why he should be paid more is just :shakehead: You just have theories as to why he should be paid more, no hard evidence like stats over a long period. Lou probably likes alot of players, doesn't mean he's going to be a fool and overpay just because he likes him.

Oh, and if Reimer wanted to play more under Carlyle, he should of played better when he got the chance and not have a feud over the "okay" statement.

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
For the first time in his career. Well done Reims! :laugh: Using high danger in isolation as to why he should be paid more is just :shakehead: You just have theories as to why he should be paid more, no hard evidence like stats over a long period. Lou probably likes alot of players, doesn't mean he's going to be a fool and overpay just because he likes him.

:laugh:

I wrote a post but I deleted it. I'll just say this: I hope Bernier does well.

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
We both know you don't mean that.

I truly want him to get to a place where someone will take his contract without us retaining or having to throw something in. Lou doesn't seem to see him as our starter, this is a chance to see what we have in Sparks. I can see them splitting games but I would prefer Bernier get a large portion and rebuild his value.

Then I'd like a fresh start with our goalies.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
What do you think Bernier's agent was asking for last summer? Sure didn't seem to be very agreeable... Maybe 8x8?

I'm not following... he was asking for 8 years at 8MIL? I dont get it.

And guys - Reimer is the first of the 2 goalies to go, that's all. Bernier will be done after his contract expires as well, assuming he doesn't improve in the next full season. But he could very well bounce back, there's lots of time. This wasn't a "we like Bernier better than Reimer" thing, this was a business thing and moving Reimer was the right thing to do business-wise, that's all. If it was Bernier's contract expiring this year and Reimer was still around for another year, then it's Bernier that would be have been traded - no question. Although if it's true that Reimer asked for ridiculous money for a ridiculous amount of years, then yeah, that helped them kick him out the door even faster.

Did some fans have an emotional attachment to the guy or something? Is that why they defended him to the end and are sad to see him go? The guy is just another filthy-rich millionaire who gets paid unrealistic money to play a game. He's in the 1% and is in the rich club along with all others in the league. No need to feel sad or sorry for a guy who makes more on one paycheck that most of us do in a year. All players come and go - yes, all. His time was up with this team, but he gets to go to another team and make millions more over there... just like Bernier's time will be up, Kadri's time will be up, Babcock's time will be up... Reimer isn't crying one little bit, infact he's laughing all the way down to San Jose and can't wait to get started down there, smile on his face, probably wishing a big fat good riddance to the Leafs and their fans. And that's totally fair. Fans who are sad or upset over this need to get a grip

MikeBabchuk

Mike Bobcat
May 24, 2013
Toronto
I'm not following... he was asking for 8 years at 8MIL? I dont get it.

And guys - Reimer is the first of the 2 goalies to go, that's all. Bernier will be done after his contract expires as well, assuming he doesn't improve in the next full season. But he could very well bounce back, there's lots of time. This wasn't a "we like Bernier better than Reimer" thing, this was a business thing and moving Reimer was the right thing to do business-wise, that's all. If it was Bernier's contract expiring this year and Reimer was still around for another year, then it's Bernier that would be have been traded - no question. Although if it's true that Reimer asked for ridiculous money for a ridiculous amount of years, then yeah, that helped them kick him out the door even faster.

Did some fans have an emotional attachment to the guy or something? Is that why they defended him to the end and are sad to see him go? The guy is just another filthy-rich millionaire who gets paid unrealistic money to play a game. He's in the 1% and is in the rich club along with all others in the league. No need to feel sad or sorry for a guy who makes more on one paycheck that most of us do in a year. All players come and go - yes, all. His time was up with this team, but he gets to go to another team and make millions more over there... just like Bernier's time will be up, Kadri's time will be up, Babcock's time will be up... Reimer isn't crying one little bit, infact he's laughing all the way down to San Jose and can't wait to get started down there, smile on his face, probably wishing a big fat good riddance to the Leafs and their fans. And that's totally fair. Fans who are sad or upset over this need to get a grip

Bernier is definitely gone, and I won't feel anything but relief and happiness when he is.

Reimer might be re-signed in the summer, however.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I really hope we can move on from both Bernier and Reimer doesn't come back. There's just so much bad history, fan drama, crap discussion that would be great to bury once and for all.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
James Reimer's agent, Ray Petkau, has since taken issue with Damien Cox's report.

Damien Cox insisted that his sources are accurate and stands by his report.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad