Player Discussion: Rundblad

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
The concerning aspect is that a guy like Connor Murphy, who is younger and drafted two years later in 2011, is now playing regularly for the squad.

It's one thing to wait your turn, it's another to watch guys drafted later on take your spot.

You mean like Patrick Wiercoch and Cody Ceci....? :sarcasm:

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
The concerning aspect is that a guy like Connor Murphy, who is younger and drafted two years later in 2011, is now playing regularly for the squad.

It's one thing to wait your turn, it's another to watch guys drafted later on take your spot.

Connor Murphy was sent back down last Sunday. By all accounts Murphy looks special. He was also drafted after Brandon Gormley who has yet to play an NHL game. Phoenix has an embarrassment of riches with all their young defensemen.

Phoenix need scoring. Eventually they'll move a good defenseman out for a forward. I honestly wish we had an expendable forward they would accept for Rundblad. And yes it's because of that damned pass.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I wonder if Kaigadorov would be willing to come back. Throw him out there with silfverberg, maybe convince magnus arvedson to come out of retirement to play on the other wing.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
That's like saying Ottawa traded Chet Pickard and Taylor Beck to Nashville for Erik Karlsson.

Chet Pickard has played primarily in the ECHL in terms of his professional career.

Taylor Beck has played 18 games in the NHL.

Does that make up for Tarasenko for Rundblad?

Not exactly because Ottawa traded up and no one had an idea who Nashville would take.

In this case it was pretty specific. Once STL knew Tarasenko was available, and Ottawa knew that as well, it was a trade of a player for a pick.

When Nashville made their trade they did not know who would be available. They took a third rounder for moving down three places. Ottawa knew they wanted Karllson, so good on them.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy

Here's a conspiracy theory for you: Tippet knows that he has a potential gem in Rundblad in terms of offense (despite what his stats line says). Furthermore, when on the ice this year he has shown that his defense has improved to the level of a decent/good 3rd pair defenseman. At the same time Tippet also knows that he has options right now which are marginally 'worse, equal or better' defensively and he doesn't really more offense than what is provided but Yandle and OEL. He also knows that even if Rundblad has what it takes right now he will still need about 30 games to really become comfortable in being a NHL regular. Right now he is giving Rundblad just enough time to keep him from going nuts and come the trade deadline he will try to move Yandle if PHX are not in the playoffs. If they are in the playoffs I think that he could still try to move a couple of pieces from his defense for help up front seeing as he has enough depth in his d-core to be comfortable.

In the end I think that next season will be the decisive one for Rundblad's career. I doubt he will accept another season like this one so Tippet will either have to play him or let him go.

Good thread :handclap: :sarcasm:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Here's a conspiracy theory for you: Tippet knows that he has a potential gem in Rundblad in terms of offense (despite what his stats line says). Furthermore, when on the ice this year he has shown that his defense has improved to the level of a decent/good 3rd pair defenseman. At the same time Tippet also knows that he has options right now which are marginally 'worse, equal or better' defensively and he doesn't really more offense than what is provided but Yandle and OEL. He also knows that even if Rundblad has what it takes right now he will still need about 30 games to really become comfortable in being a NHL regular. Right now he is giving Rundblad just enough time to keep him from going nuts and come the trade deadline he will try to move Yandle if PHX are not in the playoffs. If they are in the playoffs I think that he could still try to move a couple of pieces from his defense for help up front seeing as he has enough depth in his d-core to be comfortable.

In the end I think that next season will be the decisive one for Rundblad's career. I doubt he will accept another season like this one so Tippet will either have to play him or let him go.

Good thread :handclap: :sarcasm:

For what it's worth, this thread has nothing to do with Rundblad or the Phoenix Coyotes and more about the navel-gazing of Senators fans.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Has only played 11 games this year despite being on the main roster all season.

This trade keeps getting better and better for Ottawa and their acquisition of Kyle Turris.

BTW, we can use this thread to keep tabs on whether Rundblad suits up for the Coyotes.

Ekman-Larsson, Yandle & co. >>> Rundblad. He's a depth piece for them.
Turris >>> most of our centres.

It's not so much a steal for us as we have an appalling lack of depth of high-end centres and we have very good depth at "D". The fact that Turris is our #1C is great but...we're still not there.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Well, Phoenix's defensive depth certainly isn't helping, but if he were playing a lot of minutes on a team without depth, you might see a Justin Schultz type situation where he's a -33 in two seasons.

I'm not sure if that's good for player development either.

Ideally he'd be in a bottom-pairing, PP situation on a team that plays an up-tempo puck possession style based on skating and offense.

Maybe they should trade him to the Leafs.

Depth is certainly a problem, but Rundblad seems to be getting the Turris treatment over there. He may need it however.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I think it's also a huge testament to the ottawa organisation, to our player development, etc. I.e. if Rundblad were here he'd be better than he is in Phoenix right now and if Turris weren't here he'd be worse than he is here right now.

EssendonBombers

classless
Jan 4, 2011
Straya
I think it's also a huge testament to the ottawa organisation, to our player development, etc. I.e. if Rundblad were here he'd be better than he is in Phoenix right now and if Turris weren't here he'd be worse than he is here right now.

Well, I think it's partly a testament to our development, partly a condemnation of Phoenix's ability to develop offensive talent.

BrawlFan

Apr 17, 2009
I think the ultimate troll in this is Murray. Armstrong committed the original trollin by robbing our 1st rounder for Rundblad and getting Tarasenko, but then Murray be trollin Maloney and got Turris.

Give me a center over a winger any day of the week.

BrawlFan

Apr 17, 2009
Ekman-Larsson, Yandle & co. >>> Rundblad. He's a depth piece for them.
Turris >>> most of our centres.

It's not so much a steal for us as we have an appalling lack of depth of high-end centres and we have very good depth at "D". The fact that Turris is our #1C is great but...we're still not there.

28 other teams also have this other than Pittsburgh.

Nordiques1979

Nov 29, 2009
Laval QC
i don't think Rundblad will ever be sucessful in NHL, some swedish media are claiming that several SHL teams are already discussing with his agent.

Germz

4th liners ftw
Aug 14, 2008
Toronto, ON
I had no idea who Rundblad was at first. Then we acquired him and I was really high on him. Then I started to have my doubts about why St. Louis gave him up, and I was pretty low on him. But then he seemed dominant in a league I never watch, so I was high on him again. Then he struggled with us and I was pretty low on him for awhile. Then I was starting to get high on him again. But then we traded him and since then, I've been low on him.

sensrmyheart*

I had no idea who Rundblad was at first. Then we acquired him and I was really high on him. Then I started to have my doubts about why St. Louis gave him up, and I was pretty low on him. But then he seemed dominant in a league I never watch, so I was high on him again. Then he struggled with us and I was pretty low on him for awhile. Then I was starting to get high on him again. But then we traded him and since then, I've been low on him.

10/10 post, Might be worth me reading again

moz

Gute Post
Oct 30, 2006
Ottawa

Shorty got low, low, low, low, low, low, low.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad