Player Discussion: Markus Granlund

Status
Not open for further replies.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
....based on one game with the parent club.

Granlund will fill a role that could be done by picking up somebody off of waivers.

Crackers was much better then Wrong Granlund last year

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009
He also versatile and can play the wing PP PK and move up and down the lineup when needed. Shinkaruk just wasn't in the plans as a top 6 forward for this management team.

Im not insinuating that you're in favor of the trade - and I think the points you made are all fair.

With that said - even if you don't see Shinkaruk as a top-6 forward on this team, they still had him on his ELC for 3 more years and his progression from year 1 to year 2 in the AHL was very impressive.

It just seems like you're cashing out at the wrong time with Shinkaruk, and they pulled the trigger early to acquire a player that this team really didn't need, and I think the difference between Granlund and Gaunce is pretty much negligible as far as 4th line center options go.

Why not wait it out until you get a player that compliments your teams needs better? I mean we saw Anthony DeAngelo get traded for the 37th overall pick... I have to imagine Tampa would have strongly considered a swap of Shinkaruk/Deangelo (although im just playing armchair GM here).

Between dumping Shinkaruk for pennies on the dollar, and waiving Corrado despite being injured all offseason - this is twice now where the team has sold low on young players who were getting over injuries.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Shinkaruk just wasn't in the plans as a top 6 forward for this management team.

Which is an indictment of the stupidity of this management regime. Of course he wasn't in their plans. John Weisbrod didn't draft him in Calgary because he didn't like him, so once he got here Hunter's days were numbered. I mean, to think that the worst offensive team in the NHL could maybe find a spot for their leading pro prospect from the AHL? Such a crazy concept.

I think you're expecting way too much out of Granlund. The guy is a sub-replacement level player.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Which is an indictment of the stupidity of this management regime. Of course he wasn't in their plans. John Weisbrod didn't draft him in Calgary because he didn't like him, so once he got here Hunter's days were numbered. I mean, to think that the worst offensive team in the NHL could maybe find a spot for their leading pro prospect from the AHL? Such a crazy concept.

I think you're expecting way too much out of Granlund. The guy is a sub-replacement level player.

Not being confrontational, just wondering your opinion... Were you high on Shinkaruk as a prospect? Do you think he'll become a top a 6 NHL winger?

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Not being confrontational, just wondering your opinion... Were you high on Shinkaruk as a prospect? Do you think he'll become a top a 6 NHL winger?

Yes I was very high on Shinkaruk, and still am. I can see him becoming a top 6 winger and a 20 goal scorer. Meanwhile, I would legitimately be surprised if Granlund is still in the NHL in 3 years.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...

A lottery pick. Still I'd keep the lottery pick over a guy that had the "upside" of Granlund at this point in his career. Not like we have a farm system full of goal scoring wingers (granted Benning inherited a barren farm).

Given the contract status of both players - no reason to make the trade at that time (at least from the Canucks POV).

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
A lottery pick. Still I'd keep the lottery pick over a guy that had the "upside" of Granlund at this point in his career. Not like we have a farm system full of goal scoring wingers (granted Benning inherited a barren farm).

Given the contract status of both players - no reason to make the trade at that time (at least from the Canucks POV).

What upside?

Trevor Linden thinks Granlund is the next Patrice Bergeron. I think that tells you all you need to know about the laughable state of this team's management. Granlund is a replacement level player who was a regular healthy scratch down the stretch in Calgary, who likely would have been waived this upcoming season because he really isn't that good.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Why wouldn't you see a 22 yr old changing?

Statistically, he'e entering where forwards "peak" in their career curves. I see him improving. But to what degree?

He's not really good at anything right now. He would need to improve significantly to become some type of impact player. And he's already played 100 NHL games without much upside to speak of so far. I just don't see some combination of tools improvement + hockey IQ to make him that much better. The best I can see is maybe re-adjusting his game to be a bottom-six utility player, but in his NHL minutes so far, his defensive impact has been less than desirable.

Just based on the numbers and my own viewings, I just am not seeing that he has much higher of a ceiling. of course, everything is couched in probabilities. But I'll gladly eat my words if he can help the Canucks down the road.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
What upside?

Trevor Linden thinks Granlund is the next Patrice Bergeron. I think that tells you all you need to know about the laughable state of this team's management. Granlund is a replacement level player who was a regular healthy scratch down the stretch in Calgary, who likely would have been waived this upcoming season because he really isn't that good.

You're good at hyperbole.

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
So you also feel that quote equals Trevor Linden thinks Granlund is the next Patrice Bergeron?

You don't think he meant that when he said "thats the skill set he brings". What else could you possibly glean from that?

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
The skill set he brings.

He literally said Markus Granlund brings the same skill set as Patrice Bergeron. What is your point here? That he didn't think that? The mental gymnastics here just gets me every time :shakehead

TacitEndorsement

Jul 2, 2009
Granlund is small, not particularly fast, or skilled, and doesn't strike me as having an extremely high hockey IQ.

We traded the chance, however small, at having a dynamic, scoring, top 6 forward for him.

Awful trade.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Unfortunately for Granlund his career will be from hereon in measured against Shinkaruk's...supposedly the deal was done because Granlund is a more versatile player who can switch from centre to wing, and play up and down the roster. Shinkariuk on the other hand is a somewhat one-dimensional offensive winger. But unfortunately Granlund looked shaky at centre and doesn't appear to have the speed or grit to play on the wing. But of course the Canucks were so terrible down the stretch last year, it's hard to judge the overall play of anyone. But if Granlund doesn't have another gear to get to, this will be a terrible trade for Benning.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
He literally said Markus Granlund brings the same skill set as Patrice Bergeron. What is your point here? That he didn't think that? The mental gymnastics here just gets me every time :shakehead

I'm not sure what Linden actually said, but if I am to judge based on your paraphrasing I take it as meaning he has the same skillset (which I disagree with Linden, but that's besides the issue). Saying someone has the same skillset simply means that that player has the same range of skills.

You can have the same skillset but not have the same style of play. You can have the same style of play and not the same skillset. You can have the both the same skillset and the same style of play and not be close to being the same player. I mean you can say that Kassian has a similar skillset to Bertuzzi. Doesn't make him the next Bertuzzi.

Beansy*

Sep 10, 2016
Yes I was very high on Shinkaruk, and still am. I can see him becoming a top 6 winger and a 20 goal scorer. Meanwhile, I would legitimately be surprised if Granlund is still in the NHL in 3 years.

Have you ever been wrong with regards to your player assessment skills?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Unfortunately for Granlund his career will be from hereon in measured against Shinkaruk's...supposedly the deal was done because Granlund is a more versatile player who can switch from centre to wing, and play up and down the roster. Shinkariuk on the other hand is a somewhat one-dimensional offensive winger. But unfortunately Granlund looked shaky at centre and doesn't appear to have the speed or grit to play on the wing. But of course the Canucks were so terrible down the stretch last year, it's hard to judge the overall play of anyone. But if Granlund doesn't have another gear to get to, this will be a terrible trade for Benning.

Unfortunate or fortunate. I'm not sold on Shinkaruk being a top 6 NHL player, although last season gave me hope. At this point, I don't see Granlund ever being a top 6 NHL player either. I said this at the time of the trade and I say this now. I do think Granlund is an NHL player. He's not good with faceoffs and he lacks the physical traits you want, but he's a good all-around player with an NHL shot. What does that mean? He could either be a dime a dozen fringe NHL player or a bottom line contributor with the skill to move up and down the lineup. Hopefully, he just needs more NHL experience to translate some of his AHL scoring over to the NHL.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
I'm not sure what Linden actually said, but if I am to judge based on your paraphrasing I take it as meaning he has the same skillset (which I disagree with Linden, but that's besides the issue). Saying someone has the same skillset simply means that that player has the same range of skills.

You can have the same skillset but not have the same style of play. You can have the same style of play and not the same skillset. You can have the both the same skillset and the same style of play and not be close to being the same player. I mean you can say that Kassian has a similar skillset to Bertuzzi. Doesn't make him the next Bertuzzi.

It's understood the difference between 'type' of player and 'caliber' of player. Using Bertuzzi to describe Kassian is a perfect example. Kassian is a 4th/3rd line equivalent to Bertuzzi.

In Granlund's case though, he's a waiver wire, cheap FA, borderline NHL version of Bergeron, and I think that's where people have the problem. It's not worth of the comparison, because, unlike Kassian, it's easy to describe what Granlund is w/o bringing up much better players.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015

1) He should be compared to Shink if traded for him

2) This is the problem that mgmt seems to have. They're trading a (potential) hammer for swiss army knife when they're trying to build a house. Does that make sense when the swiss army knife is cheaper and not overall as effective at the overall goal?

3) Agreed. Granlund COULD settle into a slightly smaller, shiftier Higgins type player IMO, which wouldn't be bad. It's just comical that they traded a "maybe" in Shinkaruk for another "maybe". SMH

banme*

Jun 7, 2014
I really think he's being completely undersold on these boards. He's a btm 6 forward which like a defenseman takes a few yrs to really understand the positioning and decision making required to be effective. Not to mention get familiar with new surroundings systems and line mates. Look around at guys like D.Moore, Richardson, Kruger or as mentioned within our own franchise it takes awhile. At 23 and 100 games I'd expect a solid contributor with some holes to fill.

The comment about Jarvis and Malhotra working with him is a good one and he's a really committed athlete and good teammate from everything I've heard.

I'm expecting 8-10 goals and 12-15 assists 20-25 pts..with improved defensive play and faceoffs.
He also versatile and can play the wing PP PK and move up and down the lineup when needed. Shinkaruk just wasn't in the plans as a top 6 forward for this management team.

Trading Shinkaruk was totally fine IMO, but the target sucked. Made as much sense as the theatrical version of Batman vs Superman. Or any version for that matter, even the extended ****ing sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad