Player Discussion: Markus Granlund

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
I heard a lot from the usual suspects last summer about Vey being "gifted a spot" only to see him waived before game 1.

You'd think those people would have a learned a lesson and wouldn't be so quick to shoot their mouth off about "gifting spots" ....

SgtToody

Mar 16, 2013
they haven't gifted him anything yet. We'll see how the offseason and training camp goes. This organization loves to fill the bottom of its lineup with expensive ****.

The fact that this is a one-way contract -- and yes, its obvious that Benning isn't going to expose Granlund to waivers at the cost of looking dumb and dumber after giving up a first-round pick for him -- alone makes this horrible. His numbers suggest a $800000/$300000 contract would have been generous.
But praise the fourth line, we have a new saviour! Oh, Willie's going to slot him on the PP with the Sedins? Nevermind...

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
The fact that this is a one-way contract -- and yes, its obvious that Benning isn't going to expose Granlund to waivers at the cost of looking dumb and dumber after giving up a first-round pick for him -- alone makes this horrible. His numbers suggest a $800000/$300000 contract would have been generous.
But praise the fourth line, we have a new saviour! Oh, Willie's going to slot him on the PP with the Sedins? Nevermind...
Francesco thanks you for being so concerned about his money. Why else would you want A two way contract? I find it funny when folks are concerned about 1 %'rs money.

coldsteel79

Sep 28, 2015
sask
The fact it's a one way contract probably makes this an attractive location for young players. Kudos to Francesco for allowing it

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Francesco thanks you for being so concerned about his money. Why else would you want A two way contract? I find it funny when folks are concerned about 1 %'rs money.

If they have more money we keep the Canucks

If they have money it keeps people like u happy with work instead of begging

Thats why we all care about your so call 1%ers

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Contract numbers almost immaterial...because t if Shinkaruk lights it up with the Flames, which I suspect will happen, then any contract for Granlund is going to be just adding insult to injury.

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
I heard a lot from the usual suspects last summer about Vey being "gifted a spot" only to see him waived before game 1.

You'd think those people would have a learned a lesson and wouldn't be so quick to shoot their mouth off about "gifting spots" ....

So when he was called back up, what was he then? Not gifted more ES ice time then the Sedins? Or are those stats wrong too?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I'm not saying Vey's ice time was appropriate but he actually produced pretty decently on his call up.

He really didn't.

He had 10 ES points in 41 games - a 20 ES point/30 total point season from a guy getting #2 center minutes and #1/2 unit PP time is awful, especially when he brings so little else to the table.

He had a brief blip of production in February and then settled back into being same old garbage Linden Vey, but his icetime stayed pretty much as high as ever right through the end of the year.

2 ES goals in 67 games between Utica and Vancouver last year. :laugh:

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
He really didn't.

He had 10 ES points in 41 games - a 20 ES point/30 total point season from a guy getting #2 center minutes and #1/2 unit PP time is awful, especially when he brings so little else to the table.

He had a brief blip of production in February and then settled back into being same old garbage Linden Vey, but his icetime stayed pretty much as high as ever right through the end of the year.

2 ES goals in 67 games between Utica and Vancouver last year. :laugh:

Its not his fault cause the opposition defense knew to target him cause hes just THAT good :laugh:

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
Honestly, he doesn't really 'fit' on this team. He doesn't do any one thing spectacular, so I guess the signing is perfect in a sense.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Expectations of Granlund this year?

Why kind of a developmental step does he take?

Kid just finished his 22 yr old season...
He's going into his 23 yr old season..
Has 100 gms under his belt now..

Obviously he'll progress. .. to what degret? (On 2nd thought I should scratch "obviously" considering how some think here)

What do ya think?
PPG rate? Over under 0.35 PPG?
Games played?

Whatchya thinking?

Also any word of how and where his offseason training is going??

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

Obviously he'll progress. .. to what degret? (On 2nd thought I should scratch "obviously" considering how some think here)

What do ya think?
Games played?

Whatchya thinking?

He's been a pretty "meh" player so far and I don't see that changing. At his age, he's close to a make-or-break point in the NHL. And I just don't see the upside.

Maybe ~20ish points. Maybe he can carve out some type of bottom-six utility role.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
He's been a pretty "meh" player so far and I don't see that changing. At his age, he's close to a make-or-break point in the NHL. And I just don't see the upside.

Maybe ~20ish points. Maybe he can carve out some type of bottom-six utility role.

Why wouldn't you see a 22 yr old changing?

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Basically like bossma is saying that Shinkaruk is a yr away from being what he is... kinda silly imo.
Imagine freezing 22 yr old Burrows, Hansen, Twins, Kesler, etc... Silly.

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I think Games played is a factor with Granlund, not just age, though. The combination of his being nearly 23 now, having 100 games under his belt, generally looking pretty comfortable with the pace/strength/conditioning of the NHL, and still not showing much that's particularly promising or even show all that much existing improvement seems to indicate that he's starting to lean into "he is what he is" territory, IMO.

I can imagine some improvement, but I just can't picture him doing it quickly enough to turn into anything viable (other than as a tweener/replacement player, which he arguably is right now, and is a role I don't mind him in).

Last edited:

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Potential to become smarter, stronger, faster, more skilled, improve his shot, defensive awareness, etc ..

Question I'm asking is what aspects and to what degree.

I would not be expecting big changes in skating or skill at his age. Likewise strength is close to set, unless he wants to downgrade speed as often happens when physically developed players try and bigger, he doesn't have the speed to afford it. Smarts are pretty set for a player of his type.

So it is down to experience and improving his shot.

MattiOEdler

Mar 3, 2004
VAncouver
SCOUTING REPORT
Assets: Like older brother Mikael, he oozes creativity and offensive ability. Also makes his teammates better around him as a general rule. Has some two-way ability, as well.
Flaws: Doesn't have ideal NHL size, so he will need to add significant bulk in order to prove he can produce quality numbers at the highest level over time. Isn't an elite goal-scorer.
Career Potential: Talented playmaker with some upside.

His weakness is faceoffs. His defensive play, offensive vision and playmaking ability will continue to improve and stand out. I expect he's have put 8-10 pounds of muscle on, and will be one of the players who will benefit from Jarvis/Manny coaching on faceoffs. he will be considered an asset on the team in the 4th line center role. He'll even see time on the wing on other lines because of his playmaking abilities.

I see him matched with Sutter on a line at times to provide a more complete line (as sutter's weekness is playmaking ability).

brokenhole

Aug 12, 2015
SCOUTING REPORT
Assets: Like older brother Mikael, he oozes creativity and offensive ability. Also makes his teammates better around him as a general rule. Has some two-way ability, as well.
Flaws: Doesn't have ideal NHL size, so he will need to add significant bulk in order to prove he can produce quality numbers at the highest level over time. Isn't an elite goal-scorer.

His weakness is faceoffs. His defensive play, offensive vision and playmaking ability will continue to improve and stand out. I expect he's have put 8-10 pounds of muscle on, and will be one of the players who will benefit from Jarvis/Manny coaching on faceoffs. he will be considered an asset on the team in the 4th line center role. He'll even see time on the wing on other lines because of his playmaking abilities.

I see him matched with Sutter on a line at times to provide a more complete line (as sutter's weekness is playmaking ability).
Well you would have to put Sutter on wing as Granlund already admitted he doesn't like playing on wing.

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
Him and his brother are supposed to be pretty hardcore 'gym rats', so I'd assume his training isn't an issue.
If you're asking how much size has he put on, it's likely very little.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
SCOUTING REPORT

Isn't this just his scouting report from his draft?

Games played is a strong indicator of improvement. He has shown none and actually if anything taken a step backwards, since coming to North America. I don't see a lot of upside, I would much prefer Gaunce getting his minutes.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012

What do ya think?
Games played?

Whatchya thinking?

I really think he's being completely undersold on these boards. He's a btm 6 forward which like a defenseman takes a few yrs to really understand the positioning and decision making required to be effective. Not to mention get familiar with new surroundings systems and line mates. Look around at guys like D.Moore, Richardson, Kruger or as mentioned within our own franchise it takes awhile. At 23 and 100 games I'd expect a solid contributor with some holes to fill.

The comment about Jarvis and Malhotra working with him is a good one and he's a really committed athlete and good teammate from everything I've heard.

I'm expecting 8-10 goals and 12-15 assists 20-25 pts..with improved defensive play and faceoffs.
He also versatile and can play the wing PP PK and move up and down the lineup when needed. Shinkaruk just wasn't in the plans as a top 6 forward for this management team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad