Player Discussion: Jake Virtanen | XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
If it was Jake they would have likely shut him down rather than struggling in the AHL. If Jake has anything my guess is he has more likely shoulder injuries that can be played through by not being too physical.

This is probably giving the team too much credit...

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
This is probably giving the team too much credit...

I have dark fears about the Canucks' medical staff.

Who would be surprised if shortly after the end of Utica's season the Canucks announced that Jake was having shoulder surgery? I wouldn't be.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I have dark fears about the Canucks' medical staff.

Who would be surprised if shortly after the end of Utica's season the Canucks announced that Jake was having shoulder surgery? I wouldn't be.

You and me too.....just too many bizarre and contradictory injury diagnoses for my liking.....Rodin brought back and then shut-down; Hutton and Tanev try to play through injuries and then shut down for six weeks.....Gudbranson plays a quarter of the season and then has wrist surgery....turns out Baertschi had a serious concussion when he played in Abbotsford; so what's his status?....and Dorsett shut down for the season after what was termed a long-term, progressive degenerative neck condition.

So if Jake's struggles are at least partially injury-related, wouldn't be a shock to me.....if the owner is bringing out the push broom in the off-season, it should extend deep into the hockey ops department.

None of this would never have happened under Gillis and Mike Burnstein.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
You and me too.....just too many bizarre and contradictory injury diagnoses for my liking.....Rodin brought back and then shut-down; Hutton and Tanev try to play through injuries and then shut down for six weeks.....Gudbranson plays a quarter of the season and then has wrist surgery....turns out Baertschi had a serious concussion when he played in Abbotsford; so what's his status?....and Dorsett shut down for the season after what was termed a long-term, progressive degenerative neck condition.

So if Jake's struggles are at least partially injury-related, wouldn't be a shock to me.....if the owner is bringing out the push broom in the off-season, it should extend deep into the hockey ops department.

There was that horrifying, disgusting moment when Mason Raymond was dragged off the ice.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014

If he does undergo shoulder surgery, look for his next season to be similar to Shinkaruk's first year. It took him 20+ games to get back into shape since he didn't work out much in the off season. This has been a problem for Jake without any physical holdups. Add to that, it took Shink half of the season to get any real ability to play the game with a shoulder that responded the way he was used to it working. He then finished strong managing to become the team's #6 scorer on the season with most of his points in the final 2 months. His second season he came out on fire. He was the player expected when he was drafted late in the first round.

That would mean next year is another write off. Jake would regain his form in the 2018-19 season. Yeah, there will be 0 patience from management and most of the fan base on that one. If he succeeds in the NHL after the surgery, it will end up as a reclamation project by a team that didn't draft him and if he becomes really gud, it will be another blunder by Benning in mismanagement.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

to take just one part of that stream of innuendo and supposition and try to understand what you are implying, are you reaching back to baertschi's concussion in abbotsford as a reason to not acquire him in the first place, or as evidence of a bad or contardictory medical treatment, or what exactly?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
On a terrible bottom of their division team that Jensen leads the team with 22 goals and 2nd in goals has 12

What's Etem doing?....where is Etem?....Jensen must be thanking his lucky stars he got out of the Canucks quagmire.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Not looking good. What a waste of a high pick. In my opinion it should cost Benning his job. It's the type of pick that sets this team back years.

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
If Jake officially becomes a bust and doesn't ever play a full season (for any team) in the NHL where does he rank in Canucks history among other first round blunders? Consider draft position and importance/timing of said draft and what was passed on.

Hard to compare to P. White because he was such an off the chart pick to begin with; but worst case Ontario, where does a JV bust rank among other gems like Stojanov, Herter, Woodley, N. Smith........

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
If Jake officially becomes a bust and doesn't ever play a full season (for any team) in the NHL where does he rank in Canucks history among other first round blunders? Consider draft position and importance/timing of said draft and what was passed on.

Hard to compare to P. White because he was such an off the chart pick to begin with; but worst case Ontario, where does a JV bust rank among other gems like Stojanov, Herter, Woodley, N. Smith........

Considering it was a pretty good draft year it could go down as the worst.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012

I'm only 31 years old, so I can't speak to picks made earlier than the mid-to-late 90s, but Virtanen is tracking to be the worst of the bunch. With respect to White and Smith, they were both drafted considerably later than Virtanen, so they don't really compare in terms of bust-to-expectation ratio.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Not looking good. What a waste of a high pick. In my opinion it should cost Benning his job. It's the type of pick that sets this team back years.

Michale dal Cole and Hayden fleury is not doing that well either.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth

A 6th OA pick and considering who was still available, definitely would be the worst ever for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad