GreetingsFromCanada

Mar 19, 2016
BC
Stick him in the AHL til he's ready

CQb2vpjWsAIUr7v.png

VanCity15

Apr 8, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Definitely keep Virtanen in Utica. Don't even call him up when injuries occur. Young prospects are not the same as depth players. The latter group is for filling in for injured players from the big club.

Let's hope Green gives Virtanen the kind of guidance that he wasn't getting with the Calgary Hitmen.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Like December 2015?

November or December. Was when Jake was struggling to get in the line up and the sentiment was he needed to be back in the dub. They were running the Trudeau attack ads at the time (or recently I guess) and the "He's just not ready" slogan seemed fitting.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
November or December. Was when Jake was struggling to get in the line up and the sentiment was he needed to be back in the dub. They were running the Trudeau attack ads at the time (or recently I guess) and the "He's just not ready" slogan seemed fitting.

Whoa.. generally I'm in here a lot and completely missed that somehow.

So good... then the poster above with the perfect followup.. Nice hair tho. Heh

Virtanen2Horvat

BoHorvat53
Nov 29, 2011
Vancouver
I don't think Virtanen will be with the Canucks next season. I think he will need a full year with Utica next season. I don't know if Benning will sign Burrows to a short term contract. But I can see a similar roster next season and Boeser will probably be with Utica.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008

The reason why I ask is the article was written in October 2015 and an October 7 2015 cache version of the web page has this picture on it.

http://web.archive.org/web/20151007...proves-virtanen-should-be-sent-back-to-junior

:dunno:

Kale Hulls

May 15, 2013
I think they're rushing him in the AHL. He needs some time in Alaska with McKenze.

No, that will erode his confidence. We need a goalie for my beer league and I think this would work great. Does anybody know Benning's email?

On a realer note, I don't see top 6 potential anymore.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I don't think Virtanen will be with the Canucks next season. I think he will need a full year with Utica next season. I don't know if Benning will sign Burrows to a short term contract. But I can see a similar roster next season and Boeser will probably be with Utica.

Boeser? Really? What "budding star" has Benning given AHL time? They don't rush the kids. They simply "accelerate" them. If you can explain the difference please do. The two he wasn't going to accelerate made it there anyways, Hutton and Stecher. I look for similar behavior with Boeser.

It's not so much a testament to how good the kids are, but to how bad the team actually is that they are able to play better than what's there. They were going with Bartkowski and Weber, but Hutton and even Biega were better. This year it was Larsen and Gudbranson and turns out Stecher is better. Now they are playing Megna and Chaput rather than pick up better through the waiver wire. Hutton, Cracknell, Stecher, Chaput and Megna were all slated for Utica and shocked them into being better than Benning realized or as Benning thinks are better than what's available in the cases of Chaput and Megna, which I don't buy and neither do most of this Board.

Then in the cases of Virtanen and McCann instead of sending them back to Jrs. and then starting them in the AHL this season, they were "accelerated" and proved not to be ready. Results? He dumped Jarred in a trade before the kid had any real chance of developing and Jake is struggling to even keep his head above water in the AHL.

He's essentially rushed 2 first rounders and traded a third without giving him any chance to prove himself when he was just starting to break out at the AHL level. The ones playing in Vancouver are all older than the 1st round prospects after playing in the NCAA. People forget this when seeing them perform successfully. Bo succeeded in spite of them. Just in these cases alone for those who feel he is a genius in talent evaluation, I'm not seeing it. We won't even go into all the trade blunders.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad