Player Discussion: Jake Virtanen | XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Did you just hear Willie?....apparently the reason Virtanen returned was because they'd sent him to Utica during the last roadtrip, and he didn't have any of his "stuff"...so he had to come back to Vancouver....is this management group for real? Forget the Cleveland Browns...this is like the Bad News Bears:laugh:

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Well, Virtanen wasn't prepared to be sent to Utica on the road trip, he was expecting to play in the NHL, and come back with the team. That's probably why he didn't have his "stuff". We all know Benning said he's coming back after 2 games anyways so I don't think not having his stuff is the main reason as to why he's back.

I just hope Green said something that will spark Virtanen to get back to his game of speed, intensity, physicality.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
Unacceptable really. It looks obvious to me what is going on. Willie isn't happy with Virtanen's play and wants him in Utica (rightly so) and Benning doesn't want to look like a buffoon to the fans and media for screwing up when he drafted Virtanen 6th overall. So Benning and his "pride" are likely going to screw up another pick like they did when they refused to tank at the end of last season and be in a position for Matthews or Laine. Benning really needs to go.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Just heard the audio quote, i think Willie was being completely serious.

It's pretty clear there is some disconnect between coaching and management. Willie sounded like he expects Jake to be down there for a while but Jim said from the start this was just two games.

Gilbert Brule for a new generation

Yeah. It's appearing more and more like there's a disconnect between WillieD and Benning when it comes to Virtanen. They really don't seem to be on the same page at all here.

Have to wonder at some point, if this press box and no minutes treatment for Virtanen continues, if this might be the flashpoint in pulling the trigger on firing WillieD. Virtanen is an important piece for this team to get right for the future...and right now, it looks like the GM and Coach are at odds on this player.

Jrtu

Jun 22, 2010
I heard that Virtanen has found a permanent spot on this team!
in the press box, that is

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I don't see how playing Jack Skille over Jake Virtanen helps us win hockey games.

What intrigues me the most is Virtanen's responses. To Willie's credit, he's never had a guy come out and say he doesn't know what Willie expects of him. Having conversations with Willie and knowing exactly what Willie expects has always been the story. Not so here with Virtanen's recent comments that suggests he doesn't really know what the coach wants.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
So even Jake was encouraged about how things went in Utica...said he was starting to get his game back, particularly his second outing....skating was better getting shots through to the net. So what do they do?....instead of leaving him there, why they recall him for more press-box duty...and immediately he's back in the same crap with media as before he left....it just keeps getting better and better with this hockey ops group.:shakehead

I'm pretty sure the hockey department wants him in Utica. I think they've been overruled by the marketing department; not only is the Virtamen 18 sweater a big seller but Jake is a key figure in this season's 'bright future' advertising theme. The hockey department must have promised them they would have Jake for the season.

ShouldveDraftedFiala

Feb 20, 2007
In that highlights package its cringeworthy how many shots Virtanen takes. He's not even trying to make plays, just looks desperate for goals. This is what a complete developmental screw-up looks like; how they didn't teach him how to make a pass in the A before sending him to the NHL I'll never, ever understand. It's also a confidence issue: he feels he needs to show he's offensively capable in his sophomore year when this should be a rookie year for him with offence only a tertiary concern.

This is exactly how he has always played, and why people didnt want to draft him. He has no hockey IQ

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
I'm pretty sure the hockey department wants him in Utica. I think they've been overruled by the marketing department; not only is the Virtamen 18 sweater a big seller but Jake is a key figure in this season's 'bright future' advertising theme. The hockey department must have promised them they would have Jake for the season.
Is it? I've only attended three road games since he came to the team, but I haven't seen even one. (And I saw a Sbisa jersey!)

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Botch just tweeted that there is a good chance Virtanen will be send down again today.

He's had time to gather his stuff.

It's quite hilariously sad. They could have just let him sit the trip, get him home let him back and then send him down and no one says really anything other than wondering why he wasn't sent down.

Instead they send him down for two games and just two games. Bring him back. Make up some nonsense about stuff and then send him back down.

What a ridiculously run organization. Embarrassing to be a fan right now.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Did you just hear Willie?....apparently the reason Virtanen returned was because they'd sent him to Utica during the last roadtrip, and he didn't have any of his "stuff"...so he had to come back to Vancouver....is this management group for real? Forget the Cleveland Browns...this is like the Bad News Bears:laugh:

That's absolutely hilarious and pathetic.

As of Virtanen couldn't physically come to Vancouver without being added to the canucks roster. What the actual ****?

I'm glad he was sent back down but these clowns Ar looking more clownish with every day.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It is absolutely astonishing how hard it is for this team to get the smallest, simplest, most obvious things correct.

But yeah, finally, this is the right thing. Hopefully they have the patience to leave him there until after Christmas at least.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Now that Virtanen has his stuff, hopefully he can become elite so he can be called up again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad