Player Discussion: Jake Virtanen | XII (Mod warning post #722)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I think there's some truth to what you're saying here, but the (unfortunate) reality of the situation is that when you are underperforming relative to expectations on the ice, you're off ice actions are going to be under more scrutiny.

I would agree with that. His off-ice actions wouldn't be of much discussion if he was playing well and contributing. I can definitely see and agree with the argument that he isn't mature enough, and isn't taking this game seriously.

He's still stuck on living the junior hockey life.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
What we really need Virtanen to do, is not go to concerts (stay at home), not hangout with friends (stay at home), and not 'party' with celebs (stay at home).

What we really need Virtanen to do is not have a life, and turn him into the next Nail Yakupov where he literally did nothing after games which ultimately made him an outcast on the team.

This has more to do with Jake Virtanen the hockey player - he's just not good enough.

Off ice is a huge part to a players development. You only spend so much time on the ice. Getting yourself in physical and mental shape is key. If your peers are practicing while you go party, youre going to lose your spot. Its not like oh if he was doing well we wouldnt be talking about his off ice antics. The reason why hes doing poorly is because of his ice off antics. A big part actually. The kid was pretty much gifted a spot last year. His last year of junior was very disappointing. Add to that a piss poor world juniors. He should have been sent back. Duclair was even sent back after dominating the Q.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
I would agree with that. His off-ice actions wouldn't be of much discussion if he was playing well and contributing. I can definitely see and agree with the argument that he isn't mature enough, and isn't taking this game seriously.

He's still stuck on living the junior hockey life.

Based on what exactly? Inside knowledge of what he did this summer?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
What's Tuomo Ruutu doing?....is he still around?.....they need to get Virtanen away from Willie Desjardins as fast as they can.....hopefully he can rebuild his game under Green in Utica.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Seriously? Dude you are a mod.

What does that have to do with anything? There were lots of people saying he exact same things, except worse, about Kassian.

It's not hard to keep tabs on Virtanen when he posts everything he does on social media.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
What does that have to do with anything? There were lots of people saying he exact same things, except worse, about Kassian.

It's not hard to keep tabs on Virtanen when he posts everything he does on social media.

I guess I am "one of those guys" good to know. Crap like that is allowed now? Even endorsed?

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
Ray Ferraro made a great point while discussing Virtanen on the radio this week.

He said every time virtanen gets the puck he wants to get rid of it.
-If he gets the puck in the offensive zone he just shoots
- If he gets the puck in the defensive zone he passes as quick as possible when he has tons of room to carry it.

Then he says any player that is that nervous with the puck shouldn't be playing in the NHL.

Last edited:

cc

Feb 28, 2002

I believe most of us didn't want to give up on kassian although you seem to remember something different. I was certainly upset when they got rid of him

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Ray Ferraro made a great point while discussing Virtanen on the radio this week.

He said every time virtanen gets the puck he wants to get rid of it.
-If he gets in the offensive zone he just shoots
- If he gets in the defensive zone he passes as quick as possible

Then he says any player that is that nervous with the puck shouldn't be playing in the NHL.

Actually very on point. Virtanen did that alone a couple times tonight. Seems like the longer he has the puck, the worse of a play he makes.

I believe most of us didn't want to give up on kassian although you seem to remember something different. I was certainly upset when they got rid of him

This really isn't the right thread for this, but I was upset too. Others trashed him on the way out.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008

I know I was upset we lost him....wasn't as much after the car accident...

Tim McCracken

Good loser = LOSER!
Jan 4, 2010
Jail
What we really need Virtanen to do, is not go to concerts (stay at home), not hangout with friends (stay at home), and not 'party' with celebs (stay at home).

What we really need Virtanen to do is not have a life, and turn him into the next Nail Yakupov where he literally did nothing after games which ultimately made him an outcast on the team.

This has more to do with Jake Virtanen the hockey player - he's just not good enough.

Yep. I remember last year when this kind of stuff first came up and I took a hard line, people really questioned it.

Hopefully it's a combination of being injured and immature because if not, given the other players available in that draft at the time, this is stacking up as a colossal miss. They passed on some significant offensive talent for this guy.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
I didn't believe virtanen made the team and in fact, i thought etem of all players, outplayed him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad