Player Discussion: Brock Boeser | III | Our Boy in College

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 31, 2006
Have to consider attempting to sign Boeser mid-season at this point? Have him finish the semester or something and then go pro.

It's been done before (Okposo for example).

donut

Sep 5, 2012
The more I watch Boeser highlights, the more I hope we find a way to get Jost too.

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
WTG has been posting clips on twitter....dear god. This kid may just be that next star. I think if he got drafted this year coming up, he'd go 5th. Guys I know it's early...but we may have found our diamond in the rough.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
I hope he doesn't get the short end of the stick in Vancouver. This guy deserves the dignity of playing with a certain caliber of player. A certain... Blabe Blilardi, if you will.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
I like Jost too, but I would not trade Juolevi for him.

In the games I've watched Jost seems to be pretty passive. Still a great prospect, but on occassion he kind of seems a bit of a passenger on Boeser's side. Not that it's a bad thing, Boeser is the type of player you go to the game to see, he's just dominant at this level. Boeser went through the same stint as Jost last year in Boeser's first 10 ish games. Then he turned on the back burners and put up insane numbers. So it's not out of the question Jost can improve to be dominant at this level, but I'd like to see it before declaring he can. But Jost does all the little things right, it's hard to really put a finger on the type of player he can be. He's drawing a lot of Toews comparisons and I think that's pretty accurate, but I haven't seen Jost take over the game before like Toews does. Boeser didn't do it till like 10 games in either, when Schmaltz and Cagguila were injured, so there is plenty of time to say that Jost is still acclimatizing to the league.

Boeser exploded once he got acquainted at this level. He's a bit of a slow starter.

jonnygf40

Oct 23, 2009
I just wrote this in another thread, thought I'd post it here too ....

Man this kid better pan out for us .... I'm loving his numbers, but after him our cupboards are pretty empty. I've only really seen clips from his games, anyone actually watch a whole UND game? How's his skating this year compared to the end of last year? I know his shot is lights out, but what about his positioning and defensive play. Any NHL comparisons? I've seen everything from Patrick Sharp, to Bobby Ryan, and now Markus Naslund.

Thanks in advance.

Roy Baby*

Sep 28, 2015
Phoenix,AZ
I just wrote this in another thread, thought I'd post it here too ....

Man this kid better pan out for us .... I'm loving his numbers, but after him our cupboards are pretty empty. I've only really seen clips from his games, anyone actually watch a whole UND game? How's his skating this year compared to the end of last year? I know his shot is lights out, but what about his positioning and defensive play. Any NHL comparisons? I've seen everything from Patrick Sharp, to Bobby Ryan, and now Markus Naslund.

Thanks in advance.

The cupboards are fine and Boeser is going to be a hell of a player. He's like Neal to a T. Watch them both play side by side and tell me they don't have very similar styles

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I hope Boeser signs too, but then I remember the kind of treatment Willie reserves for younger players....one mistake and they're parked....I'd much rather he started under Travis Green in Utica.

Lemmiwinks

Jun 11, 2011
B.C.
I hope Boeser signs too, but then I remember the kind of treatment Willie reserves for younger players....one mistake and they're parked....I'd much rather he started under Travis Green in Utica.

A tonne of coaches in the NHL do that, not just Willie... it's very important that a young player earns his spot. Not to mention, the coaching staff has recently given young players a chance to flourish in the bigs, provided they demonstrate that they're initially capable of holding their own.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
A tonne of coaches in the NHL do that, not just Willie... it's very important that a young player earns his spot. Not to mention, the coaching staff has recently given young players a chance to flourish in the bigs, provided they demonstrate that they're initially capable of holding their own.

Then if Willie is obsessed with using veteran players in order to save his job, then Boeser is far better off playing 25 minutes a night in Utica....look at what's going on with Virtanen right now....in his second season, and still 'in and out' of the lineup..and getting 6-8 minutes a night even when he does play.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
How are our cupboards empty aside from Boeser?

I will say I am actually quite intrigued by Lockwood now. Clip from a couple weeks back where he took a hit from a D-man and just leveled him then went down and sniped top shelf was pretty impressive for NCAA.

Demko is also a good bet to be a starter and hopefully he picks it up in a couple months of adjusting.

Juolevi is also safe to be a #3 ish d-man.

Everything else is pretty mediocre.

Lockwood hit+goal at 3:30:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Actually things look better with the 'Nucks prospect pool than they have in a long time...Juolevi, Boeser and Demko are legitimate 'A' level prospects, who just need a year or two of development time....and looking at some of the rest, Lockwood and Gaudette have made huge strides since being drafted....and there's some decent depth on the blueline with Tryamkin, Brisebois and Olson.....and going out on a limb, loving Michael Carcone's game as an undrafted UFA...one more solid draft and Canucks development pool will be solid.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I will say I am actually quite intrigued by Lockwood now. Clip from a couple weeks back where he took a hit from a D-man and just leveled him then went down and sniped top shelf was pretty impressive for NCAA.

Demko is also a good bet to be a starter and hopefully he picks it up in a couple months of adjusting.

Juolevi is also safe to be a #3 ish d-man.

Everything else is pretty mediocre.

Lockwood hit+goal at 3:30:

U forgot Gaudette who will be a top 6 centre PLUS tater tot olsen and Neill

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Carcone too forgot about him hes legit. If benning is good at anything its finding mid and late round gems and beyond

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad