Confirmed Signing with Link: Player Arbitration (Dates in OP 1&2)

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
That’s alarming that none of Toronto’s RFAs filed for arbitration.

Leaves them open to offer sheets...

Guess I had better get more popcorn.

Acetylene

Every dog has it’s day
Jul 10, 2010
Sweden
It will be interesting to see what W. Karlsson, Dumba and Edmundson are awarded if they don’t settle before the arbitration.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
If Ceci and Stone are awarded significant raises.. Does Melnyk let them walk?

No too valuable, and it would only be for one year so at worst you keep and trade as both have significant trade value.

I don't think Ceci is command much different than his 3.4 from last year and even if he got a major raise, say 5M he still has trade value.

Stone at least would be worth a good amount even if he got 10, just purely as a rental.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Per nhlpa

July 20 Phillip Danault
July 20 Chris Tierney
July 20 Devin Shore
July 20 Jacob Trouba

July 22 Adam Lowry
July 22 Blake Coleman

July 23 Brett Kulak
July 23 Liam O'Brien
July 23 Mathew Dumba

July 24 Brandon Montour

July 25 Joel Armia
July 25 Joel Edmundson
July 25 Brandon Tanev

July 27 Mark Jankowski

July 28 David Rittich
July 28 Jamie Oleksiak
July 28 Jason Zucker

July 29 Troy Stecher

July 30 Jimmy Vesey
July 30 Tomas Nosek
July 30 Garnet Hathaway
July 30 Mackenzie Weegar
July 30 Marko Dano

July 31 Brady Skjei

August 1 Cody Ceci
August 1 Elias Lindholm
August 1 Stefan Noesen
August 1 Gemel Smith

August 2 Miikka Salomaki
August 2 Kevin Hayes

August 3 Mattias Janmark
August 3 Mark Stone
August 3 Taylor Leier
August 3 Brock Nelson

August 4 Ryan Spooner
August 4 Patrik Nemeth
August 4 William Karlsson

Last edited:
Reactions: WeDislikeEich

Flyerfan52

May 3, 2012
Winnipeg
This means less than a week of Trouba speculation & lowball offers left.
Now that Helle is re-signed expect Trouba to be the next 1 announced.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Can a team trade a player that is due for an arbitration hearing? Or are things on hold till after the hearing?
Yes if it's player elected, no if it is club elected?
Don't quote me on that. Trying to see if I can find something in the CBA...

I might be conflating that with walkaway rights.
I can't find info on trading

Last edited:

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Which of these players might become UFAs after this process?

"Player elected Arbitration Settlements of 1 year and greater than $4,222,941, Club can walk away from the awarded salary, making the player a UFA [CBA 12.10(a)]"

In other words: none will.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
"Player elected Arbitration Settlements of 1 year and greater than $4,222,941, Club can walk away from the awarded salary, making the player a UFA [CBA 12.10(a)]"

In other words: none will.
Clubs can also "walk" from a two-year, by accepting the terms as a 1 year deal and letting the player go to UFA next year.

Not necessarily relevant to the question of "who may be UFA this year", but a little quirk of the process

There's also a limit to the number of times a team can walk away, which will play into the teams that make it to multiple hearings

Its pretty rare for teams to walk though

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
And that's why I think Wild Bill is going to be one of the guys who will go all the way to a hearing - his season was seemingly unprecedented and it's SO hard to come up with a term/dollar amount that makes sense for both sides.

It'll be the same scenario as Schmidt: player elects arbitration, VGK selects 2-year award that takes the player to UFA, arbitrator decides the salary, and (hopefully) VGK gives the player a long-term extension after Year 1.

Why on earth would Vegas elect to give a 2 year contract to Karlsson? They give him a 1 year contract, and spend until January talking to his agent about what acceptable terms are for a contract, while getting a chance to see if last year was a fluke. And if they can't reach favourable terms, then they repeat thie arbitrationpprocess next year and sign him to a 2 year contract, taking away one of his UFA years.

I just don't understand all the people who believe that teams want aby promising players to obtain UFA status... As RFAs, they can only be given a 1-2 year contract in arbitration - that's next to no leverage to get a bigger or longer contract.

If the team allows a player to become a UFA, suddenly the player can rebuke with, well Team XY offered me 13x7, match it or I walk... There's absolutely no benefit to allowing a player that you want to keep to become a UFA. The players if they're lucky become subjects of a bidding war and chose where they want to go.

Should a RFA not take the offered contract all they can do is not play hockey. They can't go play elsewhere. They lose money, development time, the option to play high level hockey - which if you play in the NHL you're absolutely passionate about (at least at the age you're an RFA at).

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
oh man, yet again Trouba contract dispute. How many years does he owe to Winnipeg before he can leave?

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
And if they can't reach favourable terms, then they repeat the arbitration process next year and sign him to a 2 year contract, taking away one of his UFA years.

Not relevant to this year, as these were all player-elected arbs, but if any were club elected, then no club could take them to arbitration next year.

It's unique case where the plan doesn't work.
Otherwise, I agree with all your other points.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Someone tell Marko Dano he's on his way to following Yakupov so just shut up and take what's offered.

A lot of players to to arbitration for guaranteed employment not for a huge pay day. The team can't shut him out, refuse to negotiate and wait for him to break. Arbitration will guarantee he has a contract on day 1 of the season either negotiated or arbitrator assigned. He can go into negotiations over the next week or so with his safety net in place, and many of these guys sign before arbitration.

Also his previous contract was 2-way, so QO was would be based off that. He can get to arbitration and he might get that to 1-way. Again a step up over 2-way.

Reactions: uncleben

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad