Confirmed Signing with Link: Player Arbitration (Dates in OP 1&2)

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
Why on earth would Vegas elect to give a 2 year contract to Karlsson? They give him a 1 year contract, and spend until January talking to his agent about what acceptable terms are for a contract, while getting a chance to see if last year was a fluke. And if they can't reach favourable terms, then they repeat thie arbitrationpprocess next year and sign him to a 2 year contract, taking away one of his UFA years.

I just don't understand all the people who believe that teams want aby promising players to obtain UFA status... As RFAs, they can only be given a 1-2 year contract in arbitration - that's next to no leverage to get a bigger or longer contract.

If the team allows a player to become a UFA, suddenly the player can rebuke with, well Team XY offered me 13x7, match it or I walk... There's absolutely no benefit to allowing a player that you want to keep to become a UFA. The players if they're lucky become subjects of a bidding war and chose where they want to go.

Should a RFA not take the offered contract all they can do is not play hockey. They can't go play elsewhere. They lose money, development time, the option to play high level hockey - which if you play in the NHL you're absolutely passionate about (at least at the age you're an RFA at).

I see what you're getting at with bolded, but if memory serves, when a player is one year away from UFA when he goes to arbitration he can only get a one-year deal - two-year deals are not an option at that point. Any mods want to clarify this for me?

EDIT: Found it - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

"Players who are in their final year Restricted Free Agency are only entitled to a 1 year term."

Like I said, we went through this with Schmidt last year. By selecting a 2-year deal, GMGM has exclusive negotiating rights with him next summer - no other team can speak to the player and an offer sheet is off the table. That's why I'm very curious to see if Schmidt gets his extension this summer, which would set the template for Wild Bill to follow. A 2-year contract for Bill right now will also keep his cap hit low as we wait for Eakin's contract to come off the books - then Eakin's $$ can go into Bill's extension beginning in 2020.

Reactions: GatorDave

ATLbound

Aug 3, 2006
Ontario
I still think Trouba's motive is take the likely 1 year and force them to deal him next summer as he only has 2 years until UFA. He apparently pulled his trade reqeust but I believe he still wants to go to an American team. He is a huge part of the Jets blueline but still gets 0 PP time as he is behind Buff, Morrissey, Laine on the point and Myers when it comes to coaches PP usage. That has to upset him a bit as well IMO

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
I still think Trouba's motive is take the likely 1 year and force them to deal him next summer as he only has 2 years until UFA. He apparently pulled his trade reqeust but I believe he still wants to go to an American team. He is a huge part of the Jets blueline but still gets 0 PP time as he is behind Buff, Morrissey, Laine on the point and Myers when it comes to coaches PP usage. That has to upset him a bit as well IMO

As opposed to what? He doesn't really have any options

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
Jets, Trouba $3 million apart: Arbitration filings are in with Friday’s hearing approaching

"According to a source, the Jets are offering $4 million, while the Trouba camp is countering by asking for $7 million."

if they Really offered 4M/yr that's an insulting offer... yes I do understand it's a negotiating tactic, but lowballing a player doesn't do you any favors
Keep in mind those dollar values are what each side is proposing for 1 RFA year. Consider:
A 4-year deal with 2 RFA years at $4 million and 2 UFA years at $6 million would be 5.0 million AAV.
A 4-year deal with 2 RFA years at 7 million and 2 UFA years at 10 million would be 8.5 million AAV.

This is probably closer to what each sides starting point on value if they are at $4 million and $7 million for 1 RFA year.

Aug 10, 2015
I confess I usually am not that interested in arbitration, but with a number of recognizable names among the defensemen going to arbitration (Trouba, Dumba, Ceci, Montour, Edmundson for example), and that Edmonton is negotiating with Nurse and both sides are probably watching the outcome of these hearings with interest, I find myself paying more attention this year, but I do not know the process. Trouba for example has his hearing today, so I assume at some point negotiations cease and they are locked into the arbitration process, but how long before we hear any decisions? (I assume that many of those scheduled for arbitration will be settled before the hearing date, as many already have been).

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Jets, Trouba $3 million apart: Arbitration filings are in with Friday’s hearing approaching

"According to a source, the Jets are offering $4 million, while the Trouba camp is countering by asking for $7 million."

if they Really offered 4M/yr that's an insulting offer... yes I do understand it's a negotiating tactic, but lowballing a player doesn't do you any favors

As a Sens fan, you should know as well as anyone that going low in arbitration can be the best move.

Flyerfan52

May 3, 2012
Winnipeg
I confess I usually am not that interested in arbitration, but with a number of recognizable names among the defensemen going to arbitration (Trouba, Dumba, Ceci, Montour, Edmundson for example), and that Edmonton is negotiating with Nurse and both sides are probably watching the outcome of these hearings with interest, I find myself paying more attention this year, but I do not know the process. Trouba for example has his hearing today, so I assume at some point negotiations cease and they are locked into the arbitration process, but how long before we hear any decisions? (I assume that many of those scheduled for arbitration will be settled before the hearing date, as many already have been).
The arbitrator has 48 hours before handing down his ruling. Until then the team & player can continue to negotiate in hopes of reaching a settlement.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
there's going low and lowballing someone... and there's also RFA negotiations and presenting an arbitration hearing... both completely 2 different things

There are good reasons to "low ball" so to speak. Specifically, next years QO. If Trouba really wants to bolt, it is not in WPGs interest to be forced to tender him a high QO - if he accepts it, they have no choice in the matter. Keeping the total low for the QO simply gives WPG way more leverage to get a long-term commitment.

Nov 24, 2006

It’s not an offer to Trouba. It’s an estimate of value to the arbitrator. Just like Trouba’s estimate of himself was $7 million to the arbitrator. Few people would agree that Troubas value is either of those.

I’m sure the Jets offered multiple contracts to Trouba that are more than $4 million. My hunch is $5.5 - $6 million per year. He either wants more money or he wants out.

Reactions: Flyerfan52

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Is there a hard limit on the 48hrs after the meeting?
Is it 48hrs exactly from the time the meeting ends or is it a soft limit and just more like 48hours -ish.
Very curious to see what happens with Trouba.

Last edited:

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Is it 48hrs exactly from the time the meeting ends or is it a soft limit and just more like 48hours -ish.

im not sure if they announce things on sundays

Flyerfan52

May 3, 2012
Winnipeg
im not sure if they announce things on sundays
According to local media out here & what I've read on a few sports sites the word will come down & be announced this afternoon. Hockey signings don't punch a timeclock. I think it was the Dumba deal that happened late into the night. So a Sunday announcement would be the norm.
The hearing started @ 9 am ET & concluded @ 2:30 which is much longer then most of the few that actually make it that far.
My guess is the 2 parties are informed (after all, they're sitting there with bated breath :D) & then it gets registered with the league. So by the time i's are dotted & t's crossed we the customers will get word around 5ish ET.

Of course until the arbitrator calls them back in the sides can still try to reach a deal.

So we'll be in :popcorn: & beer country for a while yet.

Reactions: BatVader

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

It's a soft limit. There have been cases in the past where the arbitrator took 3-4 days, usually due to other commitments.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It’s not an offer to Trouba. It’s an estimate of value to the arbitrator. Just like Trouba’s estimate of himself was $7 million to the arbitrator. Few people would agree that Troubas value is either of those.

I’m sure the Jets offered multiple contracts to Trouba that are more than $4 million. My hunch is $5.5 - $6 million per year. He either wants more money or he wants out.
It’s the process. If they did it like mlb the arbitrator picks one of the numbers presented.

So, if trouba is awarded $5.5 in the arbitrators mind, which side is them closest to he number. If trouba came in at $6 mill and Winnipeg came in at $4.8, you award trouba $6 million for being closer. If the jets come in at $5.1 them you take the jets number.

I really hate these wide range of numbers between the 2 sides.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad