Speculation: Play Saros?

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Rinne notoriously has a history of playing weak games in the playoffs. I love him just as much as the next Pred fan, but I wonder if it is time to just roll with Saros for the rest of this series and see where it goes??
He is more than ready..

jonu

Dec 11, 2014
Moon
1 out of 4 goals was on Rinne and even that is debatable so no need. Whole team just sucked, this time Rinne was not there to bail them out like the game before.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
1 out of 4 goals was on Rinne and even that is debatable so no need. Whole team just sucked, this time Rinne was not there to bail them out like the game before.
3 of 4 were on rinne and if you are saying that rebound goal was debatable well i am assuming you are from Finland.

would i play saros? yes. will laviolette play saros? zero chance.

Reactions: nine_inch_fang

korrowan

Sponsor
Feb 8, 2011
No idea how you can blame Rinne for that debacle last night. Until this team can stay out of the box and convert on the PP I don't think you can blame the goalie for anything.

Reactions: predfan98

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
No idea how you can blame Rinne for that debacle last night. Until this team can stay out of the box and convert on the PP I don't think you can blame the goalie for anything.
he will get a pass after game 3 and deservedly so. he isn't the issue but my point is that rinne will never win you a cup unless you have the clear better team like we were in 16-17's run. our team is decent at best right now on a good night.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
How can you seriously blame Rinne right now? One of the only ones to show up.

Now, if Rinne is the man to take us all the way, that's a different discussion.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Rinne did not show up yesterday. That showing is not worth defending. The Stars had 0.99 xGF in the 1st period, who else would the 4 to 1 gap be on if not Rinne?

Now, with that said, Rinne absolutely stole game 3 so there's that.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
How can you seriously blame Rinne right now? One of the only ones to show up.

Now, if Rinne is the man to take us all the way, that's a different discussion.
we are gonna be looking to blame someone/something after last night.

but yeah rinne isn't the problem. i just don't trust him in the playoffs.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
One other point here. I don't care if Rinne is at fault or not. What's most annoying about last night is that the Preds were allowed to completely dominate once that lead was established and they were only able to get 1 goal. 1 freaking goal. This offense sucks so much and that should be the real story.

The Preds generated 36 scoring chances. 12 high danger shots. 1 goal. 1 freaking goal. xGF of 3.31 vs. xGA of 1.98. Awesome, at least the core is intact.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
Goals 1 and 2 were stoppable. Goal 3 is on Ellis for terrible gap control. No reason he had to be that far off Comeau coming down the wing who got a good shot off on Rinne. Rebound control absolutely sucked on that one. Goal 4 is debatable. Zucc got a good shot off.

Lavy should have pulled Rinne after goal 2, if nothing else to settle the team down. Not sure why he left him in there after goal 3 and by goal 4, it was too late.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
Goals 1 and 2 were stoppable. Goal 3 is on Ellis for terrible gap control. No reason he had to be that far off Comeau coming down the wing who got a good shot off on Rinne. Rebound control absolutely sucked on that one. Goal 4 is debatable. Zucc got a good shot off.

Lavy should have pulled Rinne after goal 2, if nothing else to settle the team down. Not sure why he left him in there after goal 3 and by goal 4, it was too late.
i said the same in the GDT.

laviolette mis-managed the situation. rinne should have been pulled after goal 2.

day by day i continue to find more issues with the coaching staff.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
The timing isn't quite right for Saros yet. After Rinne stole Game 3, and the team played like it was Sunday afternoon at the country club last night, Rinne will get the pass and Game 5.

But here's what I propose: if the Preds lose Game 5, then play Saros in Game 6 no matter what. Even if Rinne plays respectably in Game 5. If they lose and their backs are to the wall, put Saros in for Game 6 and see what happens.

Reactions: Predsanddead24

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
I mean we all know when a Rinne special is on deck. We've seen it plenty of times and the signs are always obvious. How do the coaches not see it coming before 4 goals are on the board?

jonu

Dec 11, 2014
Moon
1st goal is a perfectly placed shot at top corner, sure Rinne can stay up rather than go to butterfly but what happens after the initial save or if the puck is deflected by Benn who is ALL ALONE in front of the net? Goaltending is often a game of chances, it favored Rinne something like 80-20 this time for the first shot, but sometimes even with better odds you just lose.

2nd goal is a free shot for Radulov of all people from the best goalscoring sector in the game. It's also way harder to determine pucks trajectory if its not coming flat at you. I'd ask what the hell were the D (#14 and #33) doing in that situation because BOTH of them tunnelvisioned on the Dallas forward (#20) so the goal is more on those two than Rinne.

3rd goal is a big rebound but its a tough angle to play when its a hard shot, it also depends what kind of pads you are using, if Rinne was using softer pads (Vaugh Velocity for example, or the ones Saros uses) the rebound would actually direct in front of him more than to the side. This is something that people who do not play goalie often overlook since its niche information. Anyways, backchecker has lost his man who gets to put it into empty net.

4th goal a shot from nearly the same spot where Radulov scored goal #2. Rinne played a tad too deep in his net in this.

Thats 2 goals from prime slots, 1 big ass rebound and a lost game of chance. Explain to me how 3 of those 4 are on him when team defense loses coverage 3 times out of 4 goals?

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
I love how some say that we should bench him because, say, 2 of the goals last night were "stoppable". Let's just say 2 of them were. Before last night he has been the best player in the entire series for either team.

So I guess he basically has to be 100% perfect and if not lets move on to Saros?? Every goaltender in the playoffs- all 16 of them, have allowed the same goals Rinne allowed last night.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
you can spin the 4 goals scored however you would like. from re-watching the goals, i firmly put 3 of 4 on rinne.

ill leave this here and let anyone justify it that would like.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
and again rinne was outstanding in game 3, good in game 2, average in game 1, and pitiful in game 4.

rinne is FAR from the problem with this team. FAR FROM IT. but i am carrying the conversation over to, he just isn't the one i want in net for my team in the playoffs. im not passing off saros as the answer either.

Reactions: LCPreds

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Thats 2 goals from prime slots, 1 big ass rebound and a lost game of chance. Explain to me how 3 of those 4 are on him when team defense loses coverage 3 times out of 4 goals?

At some point the goalie is also responsible for making big plays. He made more than his share in game 3. He made very few, if any, in Game 4. To your own point he could have played certain shots differently in order to make the save... and he didn't. That's like giving him a pass for not doing his job yet putting the entire blame on a defender who may have also made a poor choice.

And I continue to swing back to this: The OFFENSE has to do something. I don't care if a combination of poor defense and poor goaltending led to 3 or 4 goals. Why can this offense not muster more than 2 or 3 at most?

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
look, i don't care who we start in game 5 but;

i don't blame rinne on any but maybe the first goal. and we put him in that spot by the penalty and then allowing a 25 foot wide open shot
on radulov's goal not only was he all alone in the mid slot because of blown coverage, but i think the puck actually slightly deflected off arvy or ekholm and changed direction a couple inches.
on goal three, admittedly he left a bad rebound, but you had that awful turnover from ellis, then he was beaten back to the spot of the first shot and johansen's man beating him to the spot on the rebound.

you just cann't rely totally on any goaltender being absolutely unbeatable for you to even have a chance to win...and have any legitimate chance to win a series. and we put rinne in those spots all 4 times.

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
Poor Pekka....anyone blaming him for last night is just looking for something to be mad about.

Goal 1 was directly under the bar lol. It takes all kinds of spin to put that on Him.

Goal 2 was Radulov wide open in the slot 10 feet in front of Rinne with a fluttering puck.

Goal 3 was the only goal Peks has the majority of the responsibility. He kicked it out right into the slot. He also had no help from his D.

Goal 4 was Zucc wide open in the slot 10-15 feet out with all the time in the world.

When talented players are wide open in the slot they are going to score sometimes. This is the NHL.

Reactions: Scoresberg

Prediculous

May 11, 2018
Redding, CA
Rinne gave up 4 goals in 8 shots to start the 1st last night. They weren't totally his fault but that's unacceptable for a playoff game. Juuse starting is more of a spark for the team at this point because they've been playing like trash.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad