Speculation: Play Saros?

jonu

Dec 11, 2014
Moon
At some point the goalie is also responsible for making big plays. He made more than his share in game 3. He made very few, if any, in Game 4. To your own point he could have played certain shots differently in order to make the save... and he didn't. That's like giving him a pass for not doing his job yet putting the entire blame on a defender who may have also made a poor choice.

And I continue to swing back to this: The OFFENSE has to do something. I don't care if a combination of poor defense and poor goaltending led to 3 or 4 goals. Why can this offense not muster more than 2 or 3 at most?

Just trying to point out to the extreme posters here who make it seem like it was all his fault and he is not to be trusted. The whole team sucked, except maybe Saros.

Predigree

Dec 4, 2015
Ebensee, Austria
I dont blame Rinne but imo its time for Saros to Play. It doesen´t matter if we loose with Rinne or Jusse. Give him a Chance to Play and save Playoff experience. Just my Point.

So for me, Yes play Saros.

Last edited:
Reactions: maplepred

jonu

Dec 11, 2014
Moon
Saros should play only because this team needs something to wake them up. Not Rinne's fault that the team in front of him is playing like shit

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Game 5 isn't Rinne's fault either. But they need to feel like they're at their most desperate for Game 6, and start getting ready for The Future. Saros in Game 6.

Won't happen, but should.

Reactions: jonu

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Rinne has let in 9 goals in his last 3.8 periods of play. It’s not his fault we are losing?

I love Rinne and he’s our all time franchise goalie, but he’s never been a top notch playoff goalie. I just don’t know what it is but he will be stellar then he brutal, obviously more down than positive or we would have a cup by now with the teams we have been icing. Although the on and off offensive help form our team is also weak but at the end of the day, you cannot let us 9 goals in less than 4 periods of ice time and expect to win. Period.

Juuuuuuuuuuuuuse, please step up to the plate.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Rinne has let in 9 goals in his last 3.8 periods of play. It’s not his fault we are losing?

I love Rinne and he’s our all time franchise goalie, but he’s never been a top notch playoff goalie. I just don’t know what it is but he will be stellar then he brutal, obviously more down than positive or we would have a cup by now with the teams we have been icing. Although the on and off offensive help form our team is also weak but at the end of the day, you cannot let us 9 goals in less than 4 periods of ice time and expect to win. Period.

Juuuuuuuuuuuuuse, please step up to the plate.
Yeah and look at those goals and show me how many most goalies are going to stop. Rinne is the least of our issues. That said play Saros because he is the future.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
I know we are all frustrated. but people blaming rinne for any of those first 4 goals are smoking hockey crack. even the last one (the only one of the five he had an remote chance of stopping) was a perfect shot from 25 feet out over the pad, under the glove in a high danger area wide open, straight down the slot after another awful turnover. all of them were off god-awful turnovers that caught us defenseless without any help for rinne in very high danger scoring locations. Turnovers cost us this game, not rinne.

Tysonson3

Feb 20, 2017
Definitely think it’s time to start Saros. Wouldn’t blame these last few games on Rinne but it would be good to get him the experience and who know it may just provide the spark the team needs

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
I say start saros just to show everyone how much better than us dallas is and has been the whole series.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Yeah and look at those goals and show me how many most goalies are going to stop. Rinne is the least of our issues. That said play Saros because he is the future.
Several of those goals were his fault. Not all of them but a lot could have easily been saved.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Yeah and the team in front of him could have not played like a pile of dung too. He stole game 3, I'm not sure what you people want.

He’s been given ample credit for stealing game 3. I still come back to expectations of a goalie. Forget Rinne let’s just be general.

What should be expected out of a great goaltender? Obviously they shouldn’t let in any softies. They should also do a good job with rebound control and puck control in general. Ability to handle the puck and make great passes is a definite plus.

But when the play breaks down in front of them, and they are exposed to high risk chances, then what should a great goaltender do? Let all of them in? Let most of them in? 50/50?

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
it doesn't matter who we have in goal if we don't protect the slot. Just look at this:

This brings up an interesting point. The heat map is pretty hot on both sides. I know the graphics can't tell the entire story but does it tell us that Bishop is better than Rinne at stopping high danger shots? OR does it tell us that the Stars have just been more effective at burying their chances? (The 'ol our players love shooting right into the goalies chest deal).

It's possibly a little bit of both but I do know that Dallas did a great job at placing their shots the last couple of games.

Stats from Game 5 for reference:
Dallas Stars @ Nashville Predators, 2019-04-20

Last edited:

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
This brings up an interesting point. The heat map is pretty hot on both sides. I know the graphics can't tell the entire story but does it tell us that Bishop is better than Rinne at stopping high danger shots? OR does it tell us that the Stars have just been more effective at burying their chances? (The 'ol our players love shooting right into the goalies chest deal).

It's possibly a little bit of both but I do know that Dallas did a great job at placing their shots the last couple of games.

Stats from Game 5 for reference:
Dallas Stars @ Nashville Predators, 2019-04-20
Also look at how many of their high danger shots were uncontested vs ours. Bishop has let in the softer goals in this series, and when you look at the goals we scored in game 5 they were almost exactly the same type that Dallas scored, no one between the goalie and the player.

The difference isn't Rinne or Bishop, the difference is that Dallas is allowed to freely skate and pass into the center of the ice.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Yeah and the team in front of him could have not played like a pile of dung too. He stole game 3, I'm not sure what you people want.
Yes the team in front of him could absolutely be better. But letting in 9 goals in less than 4 periods of playoff hockey is absolutely terrible, you will never win, even if you have mcdavid and kucherov on your team.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
the difference was our bald faced turnovers where we gave the puck away when the rest of the team was heading up ice or to the halfboards trying to set up a breakout. defensive zone turnovers are what is killing us. I mean just look at the five goals allowed yesterday.

1)Dickenson just beats Jarnkrok straight down the slot for an easy tap in after we turn the puck over trying to swing it around boards
2)ekholm loses the puck in the corner and subban gets beat to the far post for Radulov's first
3)Eliis gets knocked off the puck and turns it over to benn for rad's 2nd
4)we give up the puck in the neutral zone and allow a 2 on 1 (somehow) when we had 4 guys back in the d-zone
5)Watson's blind pass gets picked off for the 2nd Dickenson goal

now i'm not saying rinne has been great, but we have left him out to dry totally. I also don't mind if we start saros simply to shake up the team. but I don't think that will happen.

jonu

Dec 11, 2014
Moon
Yes the team in front of him could absolutely be better. But letting in 9 goals in less than 4 periods of playoff hockey is absolutely terrible, you will never win, even if you have mcdavid and kucherov on your team.

When you give free reins to players like Radulov, Zuccarello etc right at the slot period after period it is not the goalies fault. It's starting to seem to me that you have never even played hockey

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
This is part of why we need a coach. Rinne has given the organization great service and all, and I don't think anybody has outright blamed him for anything in Game 5. But there's no accountability on anybody anymore. We've got a really good young goalie who is SUPPOSED to be pushing to take over the #1 job anyway. If the team loses a game badly and you just keep trucking the same guys out there in the same spots to do the same thing over and over again... well, why expect any different outcome? Goaltending hasn't been a problem this series, but there should be no sacred cows anymore either. The players need a swift kick out of their comfort zone. Let them feel the shame of their crappy play putting Rinne on the bench. Let them do a better job protecting the young guy. Something.

KurtAngle

Mar 31, 2016
Man, I think we would be swept without Pekka and some of you want to pull him? He is the only one besides Rocco who has showed up for this series.

I say we start pulling our very overrated blueliners.

valeriammm

Beers/Bikes/Bums
Sep 21, 2018
Yes play Saros, move him to starting in goal too. Hes too young and too good not to, I feel for him, I think hes wasting his youth and growth if we dont play him more often. Yes Rinne is entirely to blame for the season and playoffs, but for Saros to not have had a taste post season isnt right. Rinne is getting older lets face it

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I wouldn't say Saros is being wasted. He's still young for a goalie, I think the average age of taking over the #1 spot is 26 or 27.

I do think he could be an effective starter, or at least a 1A in a good tandem. But there's still time before we could say Saros is being held back in his current position.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad