Pre-Game Talk: Play-In Round: Vancouver Canucks vs. Minnesota Wild - Game 1 - Aug 2 - 7:30PM PST

Status
Not open for further replies.

dombrova22

Apr 12, 2017
How's everyone feel about a lineup like the following?

Ferland-Petey-Boeser
Pearson-Horvat-Toffoli
Gaudette-Miller-Virtanen
Roussel-Beagle-Motte/Mac

Miller has played center before and this gives us a LEGIT 3 scoring line team.

datboichoi

May 26, 2020
No team is releasing any information other than not fit to play.
So since Jake isn’t playing, he’s “not fit to play”, right?
This isn’t rocket science, you’re trying to push a narrative that hasn’t been collaborated by any sources. Patrick Johnson stated Virtanen’s conditioning wasn’t an issue, so why should I trust your opinion over a credible journalists?

Reactions: CherryCoke

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
One could argue that all of this leadership is EXACTLY why this shit isn't accepted anymore.

Again, I get your sarcasm and appreciate it. I'm not necessarily a big fan of some of that "veteran leadership" but there is something to be said about a team's culture and building it the right way.

Don't have to look too far East to see what a poor team culture can look like..
If there's one thing I'm sick of seeing on here, it's blather about "team culture". Culture is no substitute for skill. Culture doesn't win hockey games. It's like "intangibles"; it's just another red herring used when someone has no argument that's actually backed up with goals, assists or wins.

The team's being going through troubles with Virtanen ever since he got here. Showing up overweight, out of shape, partying too much...whatever the hell is going on it's something that all the leadership and culture in the world hasn't helped. The Sedins were here, Burr and Hansen were here, vets like Beagle have been overpaid...hasn't done shit. But you know what? I'd still put him in over probably half a dozen guys creeping around on the roster.

Reactions: racerjoe

ErrantShepherd

Nostalgic despite the Bad
Dec 2, 2018
...Canada, eh?
How's everyone feel about a lineup like the following?

Ferland-Petey-Boeser
Pearson-Horvat-Toffoli
Gaudette-Miller-Virtanen
Roussel-Beagle-Motte/Mac

Miller has played center before and this gives us a LEGIT 3 scoring line team.

Not opposed to the idea. For some reason though I don't see Miller being put there, even if it could help.

Wasn't Ferland with Petey and Brock the original september training camp line that didn't go anywhere?

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Has anyone said he showed up in tip top shape?

Has anyone said Virtanen played above average at all during camp?

Multiple Canucks quoted saying Jake made a mistake blah blah blah, canned answers. Behind scenes bigger deal than you obviously think.

During camp he got into multiple skirmishes including loudly being called out by the team captain after throwing a hissy fit after missing a breakaway. If this is normal or we can't conclude this makes Jake different, why didn't anyone else get yelled at like that by the Captain?

I'd argue at least 3/4 things I said in that post are very much public knowledge.

Players get into skirmishes all the time this doesn’t say a damn thing. We have no clue what it’s like behind closed doors none. Me or you. You could argue he hasn’t played well, I would probably agree, but I would still easily dress him.

I’m curious as to how he hasn’t been handled well.

In my opinion, he never should have been in the league as early as he was, they def rushed him . . That’s on the organization, but that’s also a long time ago

Jake isn’t a pro, he shows that consistently. At the risk of sounding juvenile, Jake is a dummy, just doesn’t get the simple shit that I expect leaves his teammates and coach extremely frustrated.

So, they’re holding him accountable. . . Again. It’s part of creating a culture of dedication rather than selfishness. All of the other young players in Van seem to get this. Why should they allow Jake to step outside of the expectations that the rest of them are all fulfilling?

What should they be doing differently with him?

it starts with yes year 1 in the nhl, totally agree should not have been in the NHL. Then that offseason they tell him to bulk up. Give him a training regime, he bulls up and it is terrible for his game. They put him in the ahl, where he way under performed still.

I think they way too often give him the stick instead of the carrot

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
Players get into skirmishes all the time this doesn’t say a damn thing. We have no clue what it’s like behind closed doors none. Me or you. You could argue he hasn’t played well, I would probably agree, but I would still easily dress him.

I do have a little experience, but nonetheless. If your argument is that I am wrong about my various suggestions as to why Green is sitting Virtanen because we have no idea what it's like behind close doors...Then I'd say the same to you. How can you say he should play? If you have no clue what it's like behind closed doors?

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
If there's one thing I'm sick of seeing on here, it's blather about "team culture". Culture is no substitute for skill. Culture doesn't win hockey games. It's like "intangibles"; it's just another red herring used when someone has no argument that's actually backed up with goals, assists or wins.

The team's being going through troubles with Virtanen ever since he got here. Showing up overweight, out of shape, partying too much...whatever the hell is going on it's something that all the leadership and culture in the world hasn't helped. The Sedins were here, Burr and Hansen were here, vets like Beagle have been overpaid...hasn't done shit. But you know what? I'd still put him in over probably half a dozen guys creeping around on the roster.

Yeah, I mean he had the same issues as a Junior in Calgary and as a Midget in Fraser Valley and as a Bantam in Abbotsford. He's a self centered, narrow minded kid who was always put on a pedestal because how his skill and size package.

I think we both are saying the same thing about Virtanen not getting it...

Having said that, team culture is everything. You teach boys to be men within a teams culture. Sure, you need skill. No question...but having skill and no team culture instilled gets you a lot of 2nd place finishes.

Reactions: timw33

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I do have a little experience, but nonetheless. If your argument is that I am wrong about my various suggestions as to why Green is sitting Virtanen because we have no idea what it's like behind close doors...Then I'd say the same to you. How can you say he should play? If you have no clue what it's like behind closed doors?

I put him in cause as the third leading scorer in the series I think he will be more valuable then most of our other options.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Yeah, I mean he had the same issues as a Junior in Calgary and as a Midget in Fraser Valley and as a Bantam in Abbotsford. He's a self centered, narrow minded kid who was always put on a pedestal because how his skill and size package.

I think we both are saying the same thing about Virtanen not getting it...

Having said that, team culture is everything. You teach boys to be men within a teams culture. Sure, you need skill. No question...but having skill and no team culture instilled gets you a lot of 2nd place finishes.
Having culture and no skill gets you a lot of "Hey, we're drafting in the top five!" finishes.

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
Having culture and no skill gets you a lot of "Hey, we're drafting in the top five!" finishes.

Yes, to be a Championship team, you need both.

My argument isn’t skill is irrelevant. My argument is that culture isn’t irrelevant either.

Both are very important and usually you don’t win with just one or the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad