Speculation: Play-In Predictions

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I'm actually not sure why I dislike Edmonton so much as a franchise. Buffalo has been just as miserable of a dumpster fire in the last while, but I have to admit I hope they turn it around soon. Maybe it's because Edmonton fans are so cocky about McDavid being the best in the world, maybe it's because despite the fact that McDavid has immense talent, I don't really like watching him play from a purely aesthetic standpoint. And I honestly dislike them more than a couple of teams in the Central division despite us not playing a series in ages. Whatever it is, I definitely hope they lose, and it will be slightly sweeter if we're the ones to do it.

They've been entitled aF since Gretzky's time, and now they have been a circus for a decade. Them and Toronto have the most annoying fans. Chicago and Pittsburgh both have a bunch of bandwagon jack asses for fans.

Nashville as a team is filled with a bunch of cheap shot, whiney, dive artists. They are somewhat better now that Subban is gone.

I'm sure people hate Colorado for reasons, but at least our fan base isn't psychotic. Hell we are so nice we somehow pay Daters bills.

Reactions: McMetal

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Jackets over Leafs in 5
Florida over Islanders in 4
Penguins over Habs in 3
Carolina over Rangers in 5

Oilers over Hawks in 4
Jets over Flames in 4
Wild over Canucks in 5
Nasvhille over Arizona in 3

Round robin results:

1. Boston
2. Philly
3. Tampa
4. Washington

1. Vegas
2. Colorado
3. St. Louis
4. Dallas

Sets up a Colorado vs. Winnipeg 1st round. A matchup the Avs win in 6 games.
Winnipeg would be the most ideal opponent for Colorado imo. Well aside from Chicago but they’ll be lucky to get a 4th game in against Edmonton so I don’t even consider that a possibility. I’ll be rooting for the Hawks anyway lol.

Reactions: ASmileyFace

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
They've been entitled aF since Gretzky's time, and now they have been a circus for a decade. Them and Toronto have the most annoying fans. Chicago and Pittsburgh both have a bunch of bandwagon jack asses for fans.

Nashville as a team is filled with a bunch of cheap shot, whiney, dive artists. They are somewhat better now that Subban is gone.

I'm sure people hate Colorado for reasons, but at least our fan base isn't psychotic. Hell we are so nice we somehow pay Daters bills.
Islanders fans annoy the hell out of me too.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Winnipeg would be the most ideal opponent for Colorado imo. Well aside from Chicago but they’ll be lucky to get a 4th game in against Edmonton so I don’t even consider that a possibility. I’ll be rooting for the Hawks anyway lol.

Tough to say. Hellybuck worries me because he has been fantastic all year long and he's a goalie that could steal a series. He alone makes me more worried about the Jets than a few other teams.

I know theres a lot of talk about Edmonton being a scary team to face but man I just dont see it. They are not deep at all offensively, they don't match up with us Defensively, and there's always the possibility Mike Smith is who we get to face in the playoffs as well which was a real treat last time around as well(Probably not completely fair to say as he did play a couple really good games for the Flames)

Ya there's the possibility that McDavid goes super saiyan against us but if that happens you just have to tip your cap to the best player in the league taking a series over.

For me, if I had to rank them in order of most preferred to least preferred opponents for round 1 I'd have it like this as of today:

Chicago
Minnesota
Vancouver
Arizona
Edmonton
Winnipeg
Calgary
Nashville

That said the only ones I would legitimately feel worried about is Nashville. They're a pretty scary team that just underachieved this year IMO, and I absolutely think they're the most capable of pulling an upset over any of the 4 bye teams.

Calgary will have that extra motivation to beat us if they get us in the first round because of last year.

The rest I'm not concerned about really. Arizona to me is a paper tiger. They play an overwhelming defensive game but especially in a 7 game series I would have all the confidence in the world that our talent group would figure out how to win and get through that series fairly easily.

Reactions: Cousin Eddie

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
Toronto over Columbus in 4
Pittsburgh over Montreal in 5
Islanders over Florida in 4
Rangers over Carolina in 3

Calgary over Winnipeg in 5
Edmonton over Chicago in 3
Vancouver over Minnesota in 4
Nashville over Arizona in 4

Couple quick notes.

If either of the Rangers goalies show up like they did in the regular season... watch out. Breadman is going to eat Carolina for breakfast.

Crosby and co. are going to struggle to solve Price I think. Montreal might steal that series.

I have a feeling the Flames are going to come out strong after the bubble. Getting smacked by us last year still has to sting and while it seems like a lot of folks are expecting them to get rolled, I think they put up a good fight and take a tough series.

Barring McDraisaitl being no shows due to quarantine or whatever else, Edmonton is going to trash Chicago. That Chicago team just isn’t good. Kane and Towes will try their best but that series looks like an easy sweep.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I would to see some upsets in the play-in series, but then I don't want teams like Pittsburgh or Torona to have a chance for Lafreniere so I am very confused on who I want to win compared to who I think will win.

EAST
Maple Leafs beat Blue Jackets in 4
Analysis: It wouldn't shock me in the slightest if Columbus wins and there is a part of me cheering them on. However, I think the break slowed down some of Elvis momentum and Leafs offensive power should be enough to break Columbus' depth. Getting Jones back is a huge deterrent against Toronto, but he can only be out there for a certain percentage of time in a game. Toronto isn't going to go far in the playoffs, but they should at least make them.

Islanders beat Panthers in 5
Analysis: I don't think any of these teams have had good seasons and neither should make any significant noise in the playoffs. Both are quite weak in almost every area of the pitch except for coaching and star forwards, which should be a battle between Barzal/Varlamov vs Barkov/Huberdeau. I suggest that Panthers have a deeper team with the likes of Ekblad, but Islanders play and are built better for Trotz. Goaltending is my major concern and I just don't think Bobs will get it done this season.

Penguins beat Canadiens in 4
Analysis: Canadiens are building a solid roster, but growing pains will be experienced and Penguins should be healthy enough to comfortably win. Also Price hasn't shown at any time this season he can steal a game even though he probably has the best potential of any goaler in the league. I think Habs can steal one, but besides that shouldn't make too much damage.

Rangers beat Hurricanes in 5
Analysis: I am with Hench on this one, if there is a team who has every right to complain when they lose it's the Canes. I know I wouldn't want to play the Rags and they're top line was one of the hottest in the league easily. Then, when you factor in a short series where goaltending is even further exacerbated, New York conducts the upset and enters into the playoffs.

WEST

Oilers beat Blackhawks in 3
Analysis: I really want Oilers to eventually lose, but they should have no problem with the Hawks. Chicago has a ton of veterans with an insane amount of playoff experience, but besides Kane I am not sure I see anyone having that same desire they had five years ago. I think Edmonton will be way hungrier and have the top end talent to match and even surpass Blackhawks. Should be a scoring affair and there is also a decent chance that Oilers lose due to shaky goaltending.

Canucks beat Wild in 4
Analysis: As I mentioned on here months' ago that if I was voting for the trophies, Markstrom is my Vezina winner and now he's healthy for the Nucks. Vancouver has a very fun team to watch even though we'll be eventually driven crazy by that fanbase (for the new posters here, you'll soon understand right @Hasbro ?). I am not a believer in Dubnyk and I think that team will die by the sword if he's not able to even stop saveable shots as he hasn't done this season. That's the difference maker to me because I think Wild can do a good job pulling a Mourinho against Nucks offensive weapons, but hard to keep it when your goaler lets in softies.

Jets beat Flames in 3
Analysis: I might be underrating the Flames in terms of getting swept, but I don't really see how they can win games and pass another Vezina candidate in Hellebuyck. Flames have solid pieces, but too much fake Vanilla everywhere else and I think Rittich has some very big mental problems in net whenever I watch him. Not that I think Jets are good themselves or will ever go far in the playoffs, but both teams remind me of a Western version of the Islanders and Panthers series. Where they're just two under-productive teams that have some solid pieces, but are let down in majority of the squad by averageness.

Predators beat Coyotes in 5
Analysis: Honestly for me this is the biggest toss-up of two teams who both do not deserve to be in the playoffs. I think Preds played better down the stretch and Rinne still has enough talent to get them through at least one round. Coyotes is quite similar to the Habs, where they're building something solid (even without Hall), but should experience some growing pains here and there. Neither team should ever go far whoever wins and makes the real playoffs. I think it would be much better for Arizona to lose out and rub their Genie Taylor for the lottery sweepstakes because Lafreniere could put that market on the map...in a good way.

My final thoughts is that from watching football (EPL and BuLi), that some good teams will have struggles coming out from the gate. There were some teams who started off on fire and in a short play-in series should be enough to cause some upsets. One example is Wolverhampton FC who pretty much dominated their opponents for the first month. Another example on the other end of the spectrum is Leicester City who've had an absolutely miserable start since the EPL came back, but they're a very decent club and were actually one of the best before C19 shutdown took place. I argue that we're going to see something similar to some of the best teams in the NHL, hopefully it isn't us though.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Results time! Remember, it's one point if you guessed the winner, and a second point if you guessed both the winner and the number of games.

CBJ over TOR in 5

Who guessed the winner: MarkT, forsbergavs32, henchman24, McMetal, Pierce Hawthorne, Ararana, Zolik37
Who guessed both: forsbergavs32, henchman24, McMetal, Pierce Hawthorne, Zolik37

MTL over PIT in 4

Who guessed the winner: MarkT
Who guessed both: MarkT

NYI over FLR in 4

Who guessed the winner: Cousin Eddie, henchman24, Richard88, McMetal, Gatorbait19, Ararana, Zolik37, ASmileyFace, S E P H
Who guessed both: Cousin Eddie, henchman24, McMetal, Zolik37, ASmileyFace

CAR over NYR in 3

Who guessed the winner: MarkT, forsbergavs32, Cousin Eddie, The Abusement Park, McMetal, Avsboy, Gatorbait19, Pierce Hawthorne
Who guessed both: forsbergavs32

CGY over WPG in 4

Who guessed the winner: ASmileyFace
Who guessed both:

CHI over EDM in 4

Who guessed the winner: MarkT, McMetal, Zolik37
Who guessed both:

VAN over MIN in 4

Who guessed the winner: forsbergavs32, henchman24, Richard88, The Abusement Park, McMetal, Avsboy, Gatorbait19, Zolik37, ASmileyFace, S E P H
Who guessed both: henchman24, Richard88, Avsboy, Gatorbait19, ASmileyFace, S E P H

ARI over NSH in 4

Who guessed the winner: forsbergavs32, henchman24, McMetal, Ararana
Who guessed both: henchman24

And the winner is:

McMetal

Here are the scores:

USER

McMetal

henchman24
Zolik37
ASmileyFace
forsbergavs32
MarkT
Gatorbait19
Ararana
Avsboy
Cousin Eddie
Pierce Hawthorne
Richard88
S E P H
The Abusement Park
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

The most unpredictable series winners were Montreal and Calgary (1 vote each)
The most predictable series was Vancouver over Minnesota in 4 (11 guessed the winner, 6 guessed both)

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Toronto over Columbus in 5 ---- offense will click earlier than structure, but the longer the series goes the better CBJ will look.
Pittsburgh over Montreal in 4 --- Could be a quick series, especially if Domi isn't playing.
Islanders over Florida in 5 ---Battle of goaltenders, and I think Islanders defense wins out.
Rangers over Carolina in 5 --- Rangers have Carolina's number big time, and are much better in net.

Winnipeg over Calgary in 5 ---- tight call but Winnipeg are built better for playoff style hockey.
Edmonton over Chicago in 3 ---- McDrai are going to utterly destroy Chicago.
Vancouver over Minnesota in 4 --- I fancy Vancouver's star power, especially at C, against a very average Wild team.
Nashville over Arizona in 4 ---- Playoff experience and slightly more skill will win out.
Well that was a great prediction haha. Just the one correct winner in each conference. :laugh:

With that track record I guess it would be appropriate to predict Arizona winning in 5 lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad