Speculation: Play-In Predictions

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Just for fun, I thought we could all post our predictions for the play-in round and then see who got the most right afterwards. If we want to keep score we can give one point for guessing the right team and another point if the number of games is also right.

I'll start it off:

Columbus over Toronto in 4
Montreal over Pittsburgh in 4
Florida over the Islanders in 5
Carolina over the Rangers in 4

Winnipeg over Calgary in 5
Chicago over Edmonton in 5
Minnesota over Vancouver in 5
Nashville over Arizona in 4

Reactions: Gatorbait19

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Columbus over Toronto in 5
Pittsburgh over Montreal in 4
Florida over the Islanders in 4
Carolina over the Rangers in 3

Edmonton over Chicago in 4
Vancouver over Minnesota in 5
Arizona over Nashville in 5

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Toronto over Columbus in 3
Pittsburgh over Montreal in 3
NYI over Florida in 4
Carolina over NYR in 5

Winnipeg over Calgary in 5 (closest series imo)
Edmonton over Chicago in 3 (3 blowouts)
Minnesota over Vancouver in 5

If this was a normal playoffs I’d say Columbus matches up better against Toronto. However I think it will be more similar to October hockey where it’s nothing but offense and penalties. As tight as Torts has his guys play defensively, I don’t think they can pull that much structure together in their first 3 games after a 5 month layoff.

I also think Edmonton are going to absolutely blow the doors off Chicago. Who’s their goalie? Malcom Subban? Lol.

Edit: had to make some changes prior to first puck drop lol.

Last edited:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Pittsburgh over Montreal in 4
Isles over the Florida in 4
Rangers over Carolina in 4

Edmonton over Chicago in 3
Vancouver over Minnesota in 4
Arizona over Nashville in 4

Columbus' structure and goaltending win out over Toronto's offense... but that will probably be the best play-in series. Most surprising is Rags over Carolina. The Rags have at least 2 goalies who are capable of stealing a series and Igor looked amazing in his time. Combine that with Bread, Zibi, and a very underrated defensive group, I think they handily beat Carolina... with a stinker thrown in.

Out West, Winnipeg and Calgary beat each other up to the point where whoever survives gets clobbered in the next round. Edmonton and Arizona have their ways in their series and aren't really close. Vancouver and Minny are closer than the 4 games suggest, but gamebreakers and talent win out.

Reactions: ASmileyFace

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
If this was a normal playoffs I’d say Columbus matches up better against Toronto. However I think it will be more similar to October hockey where it’s nothing but offense and penalties. As tight as Torts has his guys play defensively, I don’t think they can pull that much structure together in their first 3 games after a 5 month layoff.

I also think Edmonton are going to absolutely blow the doors off Chicago. Who’s their goalie? Malcom Subban? Lol.

Good point about Chicago's goalie situation. If Crawford's not playing then I'm changing my prediction to Edmonton in 3 as well.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Toronto over Columbus in 5 ---- offense will click earlier than structure, but the longer the series goes the better CBJ will look.
Pittsburgh over Montreal in 4 --- Could be a quick series, especially if Domi isn't playing.
Islanders over Florida in 5 ---Battle of goaltenders, and I think Islanders defense wins out.
Rangers over Carolina in 5 --- Rangers have Carolina's number big time, and are much better in net.

Winnipeg over Calgary in 5 ---- tight call but Winnipeg are built better for playoff style hockey.
Edmonton over Chicago in 3 ---- McDrai are going to utterly destroy Chicago.
Vancouver over Minnesota in 4 --- I fancy Vancouver's star power, especially at C, against a very average Wild team.
Nashville over Arizona in 4 ---- Playoff experience and slightly more skill will win out.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Toronto over Columbus in 4
Florida over NYI in 4
Carolina over Rangers in 5

Edmonton over Chicago in 3
Vancouver over Minny in 5

I think the high structure teams will come out rustiest as that's a little harder to come out of a long break with. I think the teams with more open styles will come out a little less rusty imo.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Blue Jackets over Maple Leafs in 5
Penguins over Canadiens in 4
Islanders over Panthers in 4
Hurricanes over Rangers in 5

Jets over Flames in 5
Blackhawks over Oilers in 5
Canucks over Wild in 3
Coyotes over Predators in 5

A few hot takes there. Canucks should definitely overwhelm the Mild and their all-around mediocrity. Coyotes and Predators favors Arizona, because the Preds already have trouble scoring and Arizona will shut them down hard. The Canadiens and Price are overrated and should easily drop to the Pens. And the Jackets will once again stun a higher seed, and the Leafs will once again choke.

Chicago over Edmonton is just one I want to see happen. Screw Edmonton, I wanna see them fail against the playoff vets and the city go into a panic spiral.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Toronto over Columbus in 5
Florida over the Islanders in 4
Carolina over the Rangers in 4

Winnipeg over Calgary in 4
Edmonton over Chicago in 5
Vancouver over Minnesota in 4
Nashville over Arizona in 5

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I don't agree with the structure arguments. To me getting up to game speed with real competition and getting used to handling/passing/shooting the puck on potentially bad ice is going to be harder than playing within a structure, for the most part, teams have played for a season and had a camp to strongly implement again.

Reactions: MarkT

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I don't agree with the structure arguments. To me getting up to game speed with real competition and getting used to handling/passing/shooting the puck on potentially bad ice is going to be harder than playing within a structure, for the most part, teams have played for a season and had a camp to strongly implement again.
Why would there be bad ice? It’s well known that the consistent climate will have the ice at its best. Outside temperature doesn’t cause bad ice. 20,000 fans and constant opening and closing of doors does.

The experts (lol first time I’ve referred to a rink attendant as an expert) are all super excited about how great the ice will be.

The structure argument I made is pretty valid imo. Players and systems struggle after summers off and long training camps. This is a longer break without hockey than ever all while having shorter training camps than any other year. If structure and systems are ripped apart every October I don’t know why all of a sudden it will change after the longest layoff these players have ever experienced.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Why would there be bad ice? It’s well known that the consistent climate will have the ice at its best. Outside temperature doesn’t cause bad ice. 20,000 fans and constant opening and closing of doors does.

The experts (lol first time I’ve referred to a rink attendant as an expert) are all super excited about how great the ice will be.

As many games as are played in a short amount of time and in the peak of summer... I can't see the ice being great. I hope to be wrong, but I've never seen a summer tournament held on a select few sheets of ice ever have good ice. Now many of those are not held in NHL arenas and that very well could make the ice better than I think it will be. I just have memories of too many junior tournaments in summers.

The structure argument I made is pretty valid imo. Players and systems struggle after summers off and long training camps. This is a longer break without hockey than ever all while having shorter training camps than any other year. If structure and systems are ripped apart every October I don’t know why all of a sudden it will change after the longest layoff these players have ever experienced.

We will see shortly, but I think jumping into the most competitive hockey and trying to bring back game shape and feel with the puck is going to be harder than sticking within a structure.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cousin Eddie

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I agree about the structure, these players aren't learning a whole new system - it's the same one they played this year and for many multiple years.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I agree about the structure, these players aren't learning a whole new system - it's the same one they played this year and for many multiple years.
Good point. The mess that is October hockey might have a lot to do with new personnel. Never considered that.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Blue Jackets over Maple Leafs in 5
Penguins over Canadiens in 4
Islanders over Panthers in 4
Hurricanes over Rangers in 5

Jets over Flames in 5
Blackhawks over Oilers in 5
Canucks over Wild in 3
Coyotes over Predators in 5

A few hot takes there. Canucks should definitely overwhelm the Mild and their all-around mediocrity. Coyotes and Predators favors Arizona, because the Preds already have trouble scoring and Arizona will shut them down hard. The Canadiens and Price are overrated and should easily drop to the Pens. And the Jackets will once again stun a higher seed, and the Leafs will once again choke.

Chicago over Edmonton is just one I want to see happen. Screw Edmonton, I wanna see them fail against the playoff vets and the city go into a panic spiral.

I think I'm going to have to jump on this wagon lol. Can you imagine the melt down if Edmonton gets tossed and has to deal with every other team still playing in their city?

Reactions: McMetal

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Y'all know that if Edmonton falls, they are surely getting the #1 pick, right?

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
If they can squander McDavid's prime, surely they can find a way to squander Lafs as well. :naughty:

Thank god we can hopefully look forward to building some hatred for other teams here directly that isn't based on how annoying their fans are.

Nashville was looking good, but if they don't get back on track it will die before it really got started.

Reactions: McMetal

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Thank god we can hopefully look forward to building some hatred for other teams here directly that isn't based on how annoying their fans are.

Nashville was looking good, but if they don't get back on track it will die before it really got started.
I'm actually not sure why I dislike Edmonton so much as a franchise. Buffalo has been just as miserable of a dumpster fire in the last while, but I have to admit I hope they turn it around soon. Maybe it's because Edmonton fans are so cocky about McDavid being the best in the world, maybe it's because despite the fact that McDavid has immense talent, I don't really like watching him play from a purely aesthetic standpoint. And I honestly dislike them more than a couple of teams in the Central division despite us not playing a series in ages. Whatever it is, I definitely hope they lose, and it will be slightly sweeter if we're the ones to do it.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Leafs over Blue Jackets in 4
Penguins over Habs in 3
Epstein Islanders over Panthers in 5
Hurricanes over Rangers in 4

Oilers over Blackhawks in 4
Ghislaine Predators over Yotes in 5
Canucks over mild in 4
Epstein Jets over Flames in 5

Avs over everybody in rounds 2-5 :naughty:
:sarcasm:

Last edited:
Reactions: Gatorbait19

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Jackets over Leafs in 5
Florida over Islanders in 4
Penguins over Habs in 3
Carolina over Rangers in 5

Oilers over Hawks in 4
Jets over Flames in 4
Wild over Canucks in 5
Nasvhille over Arizona in 3

Round robin results:

1. Boston
2. Philly
3. Tampa
4. Washington

1. Vegas
2. Colorado
3. St. Louis
4. Dallas

Sets up a Colorado vs. Winnipeg 1st round. A matchup the Avs win in 6 games.

Reactions: Cousin Eddie

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Jackets over Leafs in 4
Islanders over Florida in 5
Penguins over Habs in 3
Rangers over Carolina in 5

Oilers over Hawks in 3 (If Crawford isn't playing)
Jets over Flames in 4
Wild over Canucks in 4 (I feel a repeat of the 2013 playoffs here against a more talented but inexperienced younger team)
Arizona over Nasvhille in 5 (Nashville is done IMO)

Round robin results:

1. Philly
2. Tampa
3. Boston
4. Washington

1. St. Louis (due to tiebreaker)
2. Colorado
3. Dallas
4. Vegas

Zolik37

#1 Nate Guenin fan
Aug 17, 2011
Islanders over Florida in 4
Rangers over Carolina in 5

Winnipeg over Calgary in 4
Chicago over Edmonton in 5 (Edmonton either loses in the play-ins or makes it to the finals IMO)
Vancouver over Minnesota in 5
Nashville over Arizona in 3 (I feel like this will be the most lopsided series)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad