Plan B for Fixing Penn Station Would Wrap Madison Square Garden in Glass

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
I wouldn't be against having the Rangers play in UBS or Prudential for two years if they could tear down MSG and the current iteration of Penn Station, and build something modern for both MSG V and the new Penn Station. They would have to work nonstop 24/7 to get it done. It's a pipe dream though..oh well.
Theres not enough F's for the F off on this idea.

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011

RosensRug

Oct 1, 2020
Curious how many of the other Penn Station projects get completed in the next 5 years before this permit expires. The new LIRR concourse is just about done and only waiting for the retail shops and restaurants to open. The old Amtrak/NJT upper concourse isn't in horrible shape as of now but will eventually be redone. Plus its had 2 new bars/restaurants open in the last few months.

I heard Amtrak is knocking down a bunch of the buildings on 31st street between 7th and 8th to further modernize the station complex as well. With all these moving pieces hopefully MSG and the city can come to some sort of long term deal and make some improvements to the exterior of the arena so it blends in with the rest of the modernizations.

TopShelfSnipes

May 5, 2011
USA
Curious how many of the other Penn Station projects get completed in the next 5 years before this permit expires. The new LIRR concourse is just about done and only waiting for the retail shops and restaurants to open. The old Amtrak/NJT upper concourse isn't in horrible shape as of now but will eventually be redone. Plus its had 2 new bars/restaurants open in the last few months.

I heard Amtrak is knocking down a bunch of the buildings on 31st street between 7th and 8th to further modernize the station complex as well. With all these moving pieces hopefully MSG and the city can come to some sort of long term deal and make some improvements to the exterior of the arena so it blends in with the rest of the modernizations.

I have zero faith in anything related to NYC or the entire public transportation industry to get anything done on time or within budget, ever.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Once again, is it really a bad thing if the Rangers move a few blocks or to a new building?

MSG has an iconic roof and a cool organ and a few really memorable events a very long time ago happened there.

I want better ice, better accessibility, and an arena that isn't such a pain in the ass for the players who play there.

The acoustics in that building for concerts are not good. It's more to say you played there than the actual performance.

We'd all like to see at least one if not two or three championships from the Rangers, Knicks, and I'll include Liberty there in our lifetime.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Once again, is it really a bad thing if the Rangers move a few blocks or to a new building?
Without knowing the specific details, it's impossible to say. They might only move it a few blocks, or they might move it somewhere less accessible. Any move might cause an increase in already high ticket and merchandise prices. People who have season tickets might find themselves priced out of a new building.

The Giants moved across the parking lot and I doubt you'll find a single Giant fan who prefers the new stadium to the old.

Reactions: nyrmetros

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
I reckon many people go to the games via public transport. The people who drive in and out are the ones who can afford the exorbitant parking. I think MSG is fine where it is. I remember the days where I had to make arrangements with base camp and a sherpa to make the trek to Javits Center for the annual car show.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
Without knowing the specific details, it's impossible to say. They might only move it a few blocks, or they might move it somewhere less accessible. Any move might cause an increase in already high ticket and merchandise prices. People who have season tickets might find themselves priced out of a new building.

The Giants moved across the parking lot and I doubt you'll find a single Giant fan who prefers the new stadium to the old.

Not even 10 years after all the money spent on the renovations that we STHs are still paying for.

Regarding the new stadium for the Giants, I don't know how the Jets got suckered into joining. Jets are still the only team in all 4 major sports to never have their own stadium.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

The new stadium is much better than the old for pure comfort and food options alone. Look, I get the nostalgia. I also get that Met Life is gross looking. But it's functional, it has nice amenities, etc. It is what it is. It's certainly an improvement over the old Giants Stadium.

nyrmetros

May 3, 2007
The new stadium is much better than the old for pure comfort and food options alone. Look, I get the nostalgia. I also get that Met Life is gross looking. But it's functional, it has nice amenities, etc. It is what it is. It's certainly an improvement over the old Giants Stadium.

The food concessions at Giants Stadium could have been renovated and upgraded. The seating in the middle and upper deck are not any better than before. Can't speak for the lower level which I am sure is more comfortable. At least Giants Stadium had a pop of color.

RosensRug

Oct 1, 2020
it’s already located in the best location. Where else is going to have all the walkable train options, subway, and ability to drive and walk?

Any new build is gonna be a scam. The city/state will pay for it. it’s going to
Cost billions of dollars to move it a few blocks?

This is exactly right.

If MSG was ever going to move it should have been done while Hudson Yards was being developed and there was land/air rights that could have been used for an arena somewhat close to the current one.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
As a Giants STH, completely disagree. New stadium sucks. Give me back Giants Stadium with the escalators to each tier. With tailgating, I could not care less about the concessions.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
As a Giants STH, completely disagree. New stadium sucks. Give me back Giants Stadium with the escalators to each tier. With tailgating, I could not care less about the concessions.
Give me the old spirals too. The ramps they have now suck. No one uses them unless they have to.

Cygnus 2112

Aug 7, 2014
Long Island
All I know is I was at MetLife for Metallica in the beginning of August (twice) and I thought the venue was atrocious. The concession options were pitiful as compared to MSG and the concourses resembled a factory in a movie or video game where you might have to fight zombies. I was there in 2016 fir GnR as well- I think I prefer the old Giants Stadium.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY

Honestly if we're talking just stadium itself and not PSLs or price increases but architecture and team performance, there is literally no difference between Giants and Metlife.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
it’s already located in the best location. Where else is going to have all the walkable train options, subway, and ability to drive and walk?

Any new build is gonna be a scam. The city/state will pay for it. it’s going to
Cost billions of dollars to move it a few blocks?

Best location? Parking for the average Jane/Joe is atrocious unless you know the hacks/tricks of the trade.

It's about the arena being the best and on ice performance.

We all love it because the Rangers play there and it has a super cool roof. From and out of towner perspective it's expensive and difficult.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Honestly if we're talking just stadium itself and not PSLs or price increases but architecture and team performance, there is literally no difference between Giants and Metlife.
This is silly. The concourses in the new stadium are wider, the food is better, and the bathrooms are better. Out of those three improvements, the only one I actually care about as a tailgater is the bathrooms.

The new stadium has zero personality. The old stadium was Giants Stadium in every conceivable way. The new stadium might as well be a neutral field. The old stadium had the spirals and the escalators that went straight to the top. The new stadium has long-ass ramps and a series of escalators to get to the top.

I haven't missed a Giants home game since 1999, so I've been to both stadiums many, many times. The new stadium sucks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad