Plan B for Fixing Penn Station Would Wrap Madison Square Garden in Glass

JRinNYC

Section 227
Sponsor
May 11, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
Looks like there are new plans to "fix" Penn Station. Basically tear down the Theater, and wrap MSG in glass. The renders don't look bad. I would not be against this as MSG is pretty ugly. I am surprised that Dolan and Co. didn't do anything to the exterior of MSG during the renovation. They could have cladded it with glass or LED screens. The current brown stone face looks so dated.
00hochul-penn1-02-superJumbo.png
00hochul-penn1-superJumbo.png

Last edited:

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Looks like there are new plans to "fix" Penn Station. Basically tear down the Theater, and wrap MSG in glass. The renders don't look bad. I would not be against this as MSG is pretty ugly. I am surprised that Dolan and Co. didn't do anything to the exterior of MSG during the renovation. They could have cladded it with glass or LED screens. The current brown stone face looks so dated.
View attachment 677447View attachment 677446
lol it would actually become a square garden

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Knock it down and build a new building.
Where would we play in the meantime?

Can we move it out of NYC too? Pop it in a nice open piece of land in Westchester, the less I have to go into NYC the better. Thanks!
Here's the problem with that:

1019.png

And if you think that's New York State, I have a few hundred bridges to sell you.

JRinNYC

Section 227
Sponsor
May 11, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
I wouldn't be against having the Rangers play in UBS or Prudential for two years if they could tear down MSG and the current iteration of Penn Station, and build something modern for both MSG V and the new Penn Station. They would have to work nonstop 24/7 to get it done. It's a pipe dream though..oh well.

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
All of this is mental masturbation while Dolan is alive and in power. He's not going anywhere and will cover the building in as may ads as he can just to piss the city off.

Reactions: yrrebbor

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
I wouldn't be against having the Rangers play in UBS or Prudential for two years if they could tear down MSG and the current iteration of Penn Station, and build something modern for both MSG V and the new Penn Station. They would have to work nonstop 24/7 to get it done. It's a pipe dream though..oh well.

if they tried to knock down and rebuild msg the timeline would be more in line with bostons big dig...rangers would be playing in like chelsea piers for 20 years

Reactions: Boris Zubov

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
As I get older, I care less and less about asthetics and just want whatever the current set-up is to be clean and well-maintained.
Too bad that for most people aging just causes the exact opposite. Obsessive NIMBYism to prevent any changes to the 'historical' landscape.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
I’m surprised how little nostalgia and sentimentalism you guys have for MSG
It's the fourth building and third location so named and is still viewed with major shade by people my parents' age and older because it was an unlovely brown watch battery that replaced a beautiful and historic train station and replaced it with a shit hole. Landmark preservation efforts in NYC were sparked by the construction of the Garden.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
View attachment 677447View attachment 677446
where's the homeless caravan area?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad