PL Round 19

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
How so? He would probably have saved two of those and definitely one of them. Meanwhile Migs probably saves two of the many chances Liverpool had. If that.

I don't think he saves either of the Joe Gomez specials but you have to think he would have easily had the Xhaka goal.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Spurs better win tomorrow.

Some were quite ignorant that he was good enough just this summer.
I mean last season he was decent enough but bringing Mignolet to a Top 6 fight is like bringing a knife to a gun fight.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Gomez to blame for the Sanchez header but not totally unexpected, defenders often switch off when they're having a really easy time of the game. He made a lot of great plays during the full course of the game. The other two are on Migs IMO. The first obviously and the 2nd he took himself out of the play way too early by diving when he didn't need to. If he stays up he probably saves it. That said it was a really nice play by Lacazette and probably deserved a goal anyway.

Mignolet has a habit of this kind of thing and aside from a half season form last season I don't think he's going to change at this point. We need consistency in goal. Karius can be given a chance he's looked good this season.

How about Firmino? What a player.

Last edited:

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
We get it, you love Gomez. It's still OK to admit when he screws up and not try to do everything you can to find an excuse.
I get it. You guys don't like Gomez. Feel free to continue to ignore everything good he does and only pop up if he makes a mistake. Whatever floats your boat.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
I like Gomez. Don't understand why you shouldn't be allowed to criticize a player for a large mistake even if he played well for the rest of the match though.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I get it. You guys don't like Gomez. Feel free to continue to ignore everything good he does and only pop up if he makes a mistake. Whatever floats your boat.

I don’t dislike Gomez at all. I think he’s a good young player. Not as good as you think he is, but still good.

That doesn’t excuse falling asleep on the first goal. That’s exactly the time you can’t fall asleep. You just went up 2-0, it’s time to focus and see the game out, not turn your brain off and let the other team back in it.

Same with the 3rd goal, sure Mignolet didn’t play it ideally, but he played it well enough for the level of keeper everyone should know he is. Gomez on that play fell asleep, didn’t track the run, reacted late, and then was too concerned with not giving up a penalty than he was with trying to put in a real challenge.

He had a good game outside of those mistakes, but those are still two mistakes, one of them massive, that had a significant impact on the outcome of the game.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Everton actually played out a little bit against Chelsea which was surprising. They had a few passages of play and chances where they should have done better. Chelsea came close a few times but I don't feel like they had any particularly great chances they "should" have scored. Pickford showing what it's like to have a competent goalie on those half chances Chelsea was creating. Give them Mignolet and that game was probably 5-0 for Chelsea. Hazard lucky to come out of that game with his ankle intact.

I like Gomez. Don't understand why you shouldn't be allowed to criticize a player for a large mistake even if he played well for the rest of the match though.
Who said you're not allowed to? Did I not say that it was his fault? Did I disagree with anyone saying such?

The point is that when he's playing well all of the people that jump on his mistakes disappear. I don't ever hear anyone talking about the good plays he makes, or his overall play. If people legitimately don't see how well Gomez has played this season, especially for his age and being played out of position well...it is what it is.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Sterling is a very good player.

Meanwhile Ibe has completely fallen off. Looks a shadow of what he was even a few years ago.

LemmyUlanov55

4th line grinder
Apr 3, 2016
..and Ayew makes up for his crappy penalty..
COYI, Newcastle hasn't won in TWO months, don't let the Hammers be the team to end this curse..

LemmyUlanov55

4th line grinder
Apr 3, 2016
Well.. Needless to lose this one, defending a 1-0 lead against CFC and swallowing 3 goals against the Toonies sounds like West Ham.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I don't get why we seem to love short corners so much.

They seem to kill any chance far more than create anything.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Are they booing Alli because he drew a clear penalty?

Shouldn't they boo their defender that stuck his leg in and pushed on Alli's back?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad