GWT: PL Matchweek (mostly) 30: Project Restart

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
City have looked great in small sample size since restarting play. Too bad for them the season is over.

Cancelo works so much better in this side than Walker. I’m not sure why Pep hasn’t completely handed the spot over to Cancelo yet.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Burnley has a good statement about what happened.

Though, they do have a bit of a tradition of being proud of playing mostly white European players. I'm not saying that's inherently the cause of some obvious idiots, but when you've got a minimal number of people who aren't that mold down through your recent history, it might attract support of dinosaurs.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I will say that Manchester City are not feeling the effect of the break though...

If anything, the rest and time away probably helped them the most. Pep's stuff probably wears a bit thin, and I'm sure he was a bit worn down after a couple of seasons of really going after it. Even when they got summer breaks, they didn't really, as so many of them played other tournaments or tours.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
They’re not going to win the league, and they’re not going to fall out of a CL spot (assuming they feel they’ll get the ban overturned). I’d say they’re loose and relaxed, which helps.

They should really be using the rest of the season as a means to do everything possible to prepare the club for the continuation of the current CL run.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
If anything, the rest and time away probably helped them the most. Pep's stuff probably wears a bit thin, and I'm sure he was a bit worn down after a couple of seasons of really going after it. Even when they got summer breaks, they didn't really, as so many of them played other tournaments or tours.

They played one of the worst defenses in the league in their first game back and then this game is against a lineup that would be a guarantee for relegation if they played the whole year.

That's given then a great chance to get back into the swing of things.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Burnley have been a dumpster fire in this one. I know the talent gap is enormous, but they are getting shredded by counter attacks.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Burnley is also missing half of their normal starting XI too.
True, which you would think would be even more reason to not commit too many bodies forward. They aren't forcing Manchester City to try and break through them clogging up the box, they are turning the ball over with numbers going forward and City are killing them coming back down.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
They played one of the worst defenses in the league in their first game back and then this game is against a lineup that would be a guarantee for relegation if they played the whole year.

That's given then a great chance to get back into the swing of things.
It also didn't hurt that a few of their most important players were able to get some time to rest and get back to fitness. Laporte might have been back, but he wasn't really match fit. Give Pep some time to organize and basically another training camp, and you see what you get. Sure, they're playing some meh teams, but it helps to have what they have.

SSF

Oct 5, 2017
Burnley are missing 3 starters, but they have their starting back 4 and 3 of their 4 regular starting midfielders. Let's not act like this is a B team being thrown out there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->