GWT: PL Matchweek (mostly) 26

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I'm actually speechless. There has to be some kind of explanation for this and I expect to hear it after the game.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
So I went back to watch the replay with sound.

The camera wasn't on the FK when it happened, but you hear the whistle blow, the announcer yells, ball goes in, then the whistle blows again for Mason to take it back.

When you watch the replay, when Dunk strikes the ball, Mason's hand (with the whistle in it) is down by his side indicating that he had blown it (it was audible) and then lowered it again.

Reactions: robertmac43

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I'm fine with the explanation that the ref blew the whistle a second time before it went in, sure. But why are you changing your mind and calling it a goal instead of going straight to VAR. Obviously, Mason believes he screwed up and thinks it should have been a goal otherwise he wouldn't have gone back on it.

Just another moment of the refs not being good enough!

Reactions: hatterson

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
lol the explanation they just said on the broadcast makes it even worse.

The official word is that he blew the whistle not to start play but instead to not start play because the keeper wasn't ready. Not only is that stupid, it also offers zero explanation as to why he'd suddenly change his mind and allow it.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Ok so halftime explained it better.

Ref blows his whistle to take the kick. Dunk kicks it. Ref notices that the keeper isn't ready, so he blows it again. Apparently the second blow occurred before the ball went in so the goal doesn't count.

It's an absurd comedy of errors and should result in some actual discipline.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Dunk did the same thing to Liverpool last season and it counted.

No consistency

Yea it's never been the refs job to give the keeper whatever time he wants to get ready. He gives some time to set the wall, but the keeper doesn't have as long as he wants and if the ref decides it's been long enough, it's on the keeper. Unless apparently the ref feels bad for you and stops play after decided it was good to start it.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad