GWT: PL Matchweek (mostly) 23

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
This is a bit misleading. From watching the press conference, it seemed to me at least (and If I am wrong that’s fine), Klopp the context was more around two Matchweeks (games in hand) rather than a two week vacation. But obviously the media went with it because that’s not as exciting.
That explanation doesn't make sense.

Here is the full quote:
"We haven't had a break -- I think City had a two-week break for COVID reasons," Klopp said. "It's really tough. It's a tough season for many teams.

"It's the first time I felt that way, but after a week of twice travelling to London, two intense games, I don't think we really ran too much in those games. We ran exactly as much as we had to do to win the games."

"Then we came back and faced a Brighton team who had a good idea and we were not ready at that moment, obviously. The players couldn't do it and you have to think why they couldn't, that's why I said what I said after the game. But we now have four days between games, things are different. Last week we had two days between games and travel, that's not an excuse, that's just how it is and we therefore weren't fresh enough."

The context is clearly referring to time off and he was just straight-up wrong. And completely ignored City's condensed break to start the season compared to Liverpool.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
It did seem like that Covid break did really help City though. Pretty much all the other teams looked flat as eff in the weeks after Christmas while City looked much sharper. Of course that could have other reasons, but if you're gonna have to postpone a match because of Covid then that time is probably the best time to do it.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Saw this in the Spanish press. I had a quick look at City's fixtures and am I missing something? I don't see a two week break. Does he mean at the beginning of the season? Wasn't that because City were in the CL knockouts?

Anyway, I don't think he's making an excuse with regards to Liverpool's fixtures. Legitimately sounds like he's trying to explain the result. That said if he thinks back-to-back trips to London is some sort of chore then don't come to Spain. Since December 20th Barça have only had 2 home matches out of 11 in all competitions and will only have those 2 home matches out of 13 total in all competitions when it's all said and done. Now with league matches, like the trips to Spurs and West Ham you get a corresponding home fixture. With the 9 away matches Barça have already had they'll only get corresponding home fixtures for 4 of them. Now coming up soon Barça will have 5 of 6 matches at home. Anyway, it sucks, but it's Covid and everyone is dealing with it.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
ESR looks tired, Arteta doesn’t understand the concept of resting players. Ødegaard in at the half please

Reactions: King Makar19

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
It's so hard to score with this refereeing. When you start breaking through, they commit a foul and never get the yellow. Not giving the red also changed the game. Also, Pepe needs to be subbed for Auba or Martinelli. Involved in so many situations that result in nothing.

SSF

Oct 5, 2017
And that earlier red was more of a foul on Saka than a foul on Konsa

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Yikes that was horrible by Pepe after ESR made a great pass to create that chance.

King Makar19

Dec 5, 2019
Shit performance. Kavanagh had q great game. Fans complaining about him today are wrong.

Villa deserved it.

We miss Tierney so much. Pepe was horrrendous

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
So since United didn’t open the scoring until the 18th minute, and Newcastle scored in the 16th minute, it means that Southampton have given up 10 goals in the last 90 minutes of game time.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
hqdefault.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad