GWT: PL Matchweek (mostly) 13

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Juan Mata doing crucial defensive work in stoppage time, who would have thought? He's had a very underrated season so far.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Based on this game, United are going to struggle against Leeds. Their press is going to be relentless and that backline is not good at distributing the ball. United are also going to have a field day on the counter. I predict the game ends 3-3.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Based on this game, United are going to struggle against Leeds. Their press is going to be relentless and that backline is not good at distributing the ball. United are also going to have a field day on the counter. I predict the game ends 3-3.

United got out of City's press a couple of times in fine style last week.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
@Savant Manchester United win cementing their spot as best team in the league. With one game in hand and only 5 point back from Liverpool, obviously they’re going to win the title.
They can try. I don’t even think LFC are the favorites but whatever floats your boat.

Reactions: Gecklund

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
United are currently better than ever since Fergie was sacked, which has a lot to do with Ole. Solskjaer is a great manager tactically and his reliance on natural dynamits and fluidity in attack makes them so, so effective in attack.
Solskjaer is doing better than Lampard with far less investment.

Last edited:

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
They can try. I don’t even think LFC are the favorites but whatever floats your boat.

How can Liverpool not be favorites? There is no logical argument against them being clear favorites. Do you think City are favorites or what?

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
How can Liverpool not be favorites? There is no logical argument against them being clear favorites. Do you think City are favorites or what?

We're playing our fifth and/or sixth CB every week, we have four fit midfielders and one has to play CB the rest of the season, and we have five fit forwards one of whom sucks complete shit. We also don't have endless money and the club has suffered from lack of revenue, which will keep them from making further additions. It would be a miracle if we won any trophy.

Our injury list right now is: van Dijk, Tsimikas, Gomez, Matip, Ox, Keita (may barely be fit), Thiago, Milner, Jota, and Shaqiri. It would be hilarious if this wasn't Liverpool's best chance to win a double but I'm sure we've absolutely never had more players injured.

Last edited:

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
We're playing our fifth and/or sixth CB every week, we have four fit midfielders and one has to play CB the rest of the season, and we have five fit forwards one of whom sucks complete shit. We also don't have endless money and the club has suffered from lack of revenue, which will keep them from making further additions. It would be a miracle if we won any trophy.

Our injury list right now is: van Dijk, Tsimikas, Gomez, Matip, Ox, Keita (may barely be fit), Thiago, Milner, Jota, and Shaqiri. It would be hilarious if this wasn't Liverpool's best chance to win a double but I'm sure we've absolutely never had more players injured.

Fair point. However, you could still field a starting 11 of

Alisson

Trent - Fabinho - Matip - Robertson

Wijnaldum - Henderson - Jones/Keita/OX/ Jota and a front four

Salah - Firmino - Mane

That is a top 2 team in the league on paper and you have one of the best managers of all time. Some players you have listed will be back long term too.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Too early to call a favorite. Liverpool was before their injuries, and even with the injuries they should have at least 4 more points in the table. If they hadn’t been screwed by VAR I would be okay calling them favorites but it’s just too close right now.

Chelsea is interesting because they only have to leave London once in the next 50 days. If they can take advantage of that, they can easy be at top by Valentine’s Day.

City still have the most talent, but they can’t take a punch anymore. They might be more focused on Champions League too.

Tottenham is only three points back. And while EVERYTHING has gone completely right for them so far this season, and they are the media’s favorite team; they also might just have the right manager and play style for this type of a season.

And although I don’t think they are better than any of the other teams on this list, you kind of have to include Man Utd based on their point total and talent.

Liverpool have the best signature win of this group though, and have done the best against the other contenders. Chelsea and the Manchester teams haven’t beaten anyone good yet; but this is a weird season so it might not matter.

You also have that weird Everton/Leicester/Southampton group that have better managers than United and Chelsea so they might be feisty too. Honorable mention to West Ham who are plucky and Aston Villa , who have slowed down but are still dangerous. They will probably beat Liverpool again in the FA Cup

before the season started, I said whoever handled Covid/the schedule the best would be the favorite. Liverpool has handled it the worst but here they are at the top. Still a long way to go this season though.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
They are the favorites. But it’s a long season. That might change awful quickly.
Only the favorite on having done it before, and the hope that they get healthy. But it’s been a lot of smoke, mirrors and riding three or four players.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
They are the favorites. But it’s a long season. That might change awful quickly.
Only the favorite on having done it before, and the hope that they get healthy. But it’s been a lot of smoke, mirrors and riding three or four players.
You can’t be the favorites with no healthy CBs especially when most of, if not all of the competition is better this season

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
There is no clear favourite but the smart money is on LFC. It wouldn’t take a “miracle” but something special for sure.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
No VVD, Gomez or Matip for large stretches causing Fabinho to turn into the #1 centerback option yet Liverpool is still rolling.

They are the favorites. Klopp just knows how to push all the right buttons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad