GWT: PL Matchweek 8

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
To be fair, Chelsea supporters had a thousands strong petition for Anthony Taylor not to officiate their matches in perpetuity.

And then he was certainly... generous against Brentford :D
Guess what game he has next weekend?

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Does Ronaldo really improve Man Utd?
There was a good statistical analysis that has been in a number of places. He basically never presses. He scores goals, but he makes it so they can't play how other top sides are playing. He's too stagnant when they don't have the ball, and that has led to problems. He also has led to change of situations for Pogba and Bruno (who also doesn't really press). He's also blocking Sancho to an extent (who also isn't exactly in the side for his defense).

United don't HAVE to press. But they have to play a particular style to get the most out of Ronaldo, and I don't know if that's what is best for the rest of their players.

Ole also does not have the stones to bench Ronaldo

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
To be fair, Chelsea supporters had a thousands strong petition for Anthony Taylor not to officiate their matches in perpetuity.

And then he was certainly... generous against Brentford :D
He has f***ed us in some high profile games against other top clubs with brutal calls, some of them so obvious they looked intentional. I haven't seen a narrative that on balance he has done so in every game though.

Reactions: Say Hey Kid

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Are you for real?
8 EPL rounds, I say someone has small playing time and you counter with a "he started 3 gamezzzzzz".
And I'm wrong?
This is pretty awful tbh.
270 minutes. Out of 720 possible minutes.
It's 270 of 450 minutes. He moved on August 31st, and their next game was on September 11th which he came off the bench for. He then came off the bench again on September 18th, and has started the last 3 games after that.

Reactions: bluesfan94

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Edouard should have never played a minute for Palace.... He should have come to Brighton... ;)

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Two points here -
(1) The comments from (some of) the Arsenal fans are actually insane. That makes some of the anti-vaxer shit I've seen seem almost rational in comparison.

(2) The French take on Edouard isn't much better. He's 'top scorer' as in he's got three goals vs the two goals scored by two others. He's 'barely played' because he's a recent acquisition that was eased into the line-up, and has stayed there as he's done pretty well. I don't even know what point there was to be made. Early impression says he might be a solid buy for Palace?

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Edouard should have never played a minute for Palace.... He should have come to Brighton... ;)
He's looked better than I had seen him for Celtic and for that price, definitely wasn't a bad look for Palace. That's one of those situations where being a London club matters. I think Brighton is a more attractive Football project than Palace, but think I'd rather be in London than the south coast (sorry!).

Reactions: robertmac43

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
Does Ronaldo really improve Man Utd?

There was a good statistical analysis that has been in a number of places. He basically never presses. He scores goals, but he makes it so they can't play how other top sides are playing. He's too stagnant when they don't have the ball, and that has led to problems.

Their formation also isn't going him any favors either. Although, maybe that goes back to "why acquire this player then?"

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Their formation also isn't going him any favors either. Although, maybe that goes back to "why acquire this player then?"
To an extent, but where do you play him? Centrally? He basically would leave the center backs with a free play out of the back. He also doesn't come back to harry the midfielders either. On the wing? They've tried a bit, but he doesn't make any pressing moves, so, AWB has had to basically double time, or in some cases the midfield has had to fill in the pressing gap. It's also taken away what seemed to work for midfield, in allowing Pogba a bit more space out of the middle.

As for why acquiring him?

That's not that hard.

He sells kits.
SAF wanted him.
City wanted him. I think there's a strong argument that United's leadership would not or could not allow him to suit up across town. I'm a bit shocked he even considered it.
United is reactive not proactive.
Ole seems like a good dude who thinks they can figure out a way to plug him in.

I think any of those answers fit the question, but it's a bit hard to know exactly why unless you're in the board room making the choice.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Two points here -
(1) The comments from (some of) the Arsenal fans are actually insane. That makes some of the anti-vaxer shit I've seen seem almost rational in comparison.

(2) The French take on Edouard isn't much better. He's 'top scorer' as in he's got three goals vs the two goals scored by two others. He's 'barely played' because he's a recent acquisition that was eased into the line-up, and has stayed there as he's done pretty well. I don't even know what point there was to be made. Early impression says he might be a solid buy for Palace?
I don't know about anyone else but "Kroenke" is definitely one of the first words that comes to mind when I think of the purity of sport.

Most of this has to be caricature right? .... right?!

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
It's 270 of 450 minutes. He moved on August 31st, and their next game was on September 11th which he came off the bench for. He then came off the bench again on September 18th, and has started the last 3 games after that.
Sorry, how is that relevant?
How is that even a point somehow? He IS the leading scorer. Even though he had few minutes of playing time. Exactly what I wrote.
Some people here...

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
The german take on this is particularly bad. Yes, the point is that a come who has barely played compared to the rest of the team is the leading scorer. Thus making him a very solid acquisition, which I predicted when he moved.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Sorry, how is that relevant?
How is that even a point somehow? He IS the leading scorer. Even though he had few minutes of playing time. Exactly what I wrote.
Some people here...
It's relevant because he's featured in every game since the transfer and has started 3 out of 5 games. They eased him into the team over his first two appearances and now he's a starter. That is a normal practice for a new player.

You also compared his 270 minutes against 720 minutes, which he hasn't even been eligible to play. So clearly you didn't know that Crystal Palace had played 3 games before he got there.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
It's relevant because he's featured in every game since the transfer and has started 3 out of 5 games. They eased him into the team over his first two appearances and now he's a starter. That is a normal practice for a new player.

You also compared his 270 minutes against 720 minutes, which he hasn't even been eligible to play. So clearly you didn't know that Crystal Palace had played 3 games before he got there.
Can you even read my original post?
I said he was leading scorer even though he barely played.
Yes, other players could have played 720 minutes.

How is my post wrong exactly?
FFS. Some people here would start shit for exactly nothing.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Can you even read my original post?
I said he was leading scorer even though he barely played.
Yes, other players could have played 720 minutes.

How is my post wrong exactly?
FFS. Some people here would start shit for exactly nothing.
Of course I read your original post, here it is:
Edouard is Palace's leading scorer even though he barely plays.
You said he "barely plays" which is factually incorrect. He's averaged 54 minutes per match played, which jumps to 66 minutes per match played if you exclude his first 6 minute appearance in his debut. He's played plenty since he has arrived.

Reactions: Jersey Fresh

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Factually incorrect? He DOES barely plays since he played less than half of possible minutes the rest of his team has played.
How is THAT factually incorrect?

Some people are simply mad. No other explanation. So much time to waste on the internet arguing over nothing even though the original post was totally clear :facepalm:

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Factually incorrect? He DOES barely plays since he played less than half of possible minutes the rest of his team has played.
How is THAT factually incorrect?

Some people are simply mad. No other explanation. So much time to waste on the internet arguing over nothing even though the original post was totally clear :facepalm:
270 is more than half of 450. How could have he played the other 270 minutes while at Celtic?

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
And you agree he has barely played this season and thus him being the leading scorer is impressive?

See, that was my original post.
So now go back to studying what press resistance is.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Lukaku has as many goals... in 617 minutes.
And you agree he has barely played this season and thus him being the leading scorer is impressive?

See, that was my original post.
So now go back to studying what press resistance is.
Edouard has been better than Lukaku. That wasn't the point.

Glad you have conceded that "he barely plays" was an inaccurate statement that implies an ongoing situation, while something more like "his scoring has been impressive despite playing less than his teammates" would be an accurate statement.

Reactions: Jersey Fresh

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad