GWT: PL Matchweek 8

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Glad you managed to admit I was right and you were wrong.
Because what I stated WAS factually correct : he barely played in the EPL and YET is the team leading scorer.
And the Lukaku post was a different conversation, but whatever.

Anyway, enough, you'll join the other 3 idiots on my IL.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Glad you have conceded that "he barely plays" was an inaccurate statement that implies an ongoing situation, while something more like "his scoring has been impressive despite playing less than his teammates" would be an accurate statement.

It was probably a bit of language issue by Evilo, "barely plays" isn't typically used that way without further clarification as it can lead to a misunderstanding, just like happened here, when people understand differently what is being compared to what.

Funnily, you could also state as a fact, that Edouard is Palace's top scorer, as he is should be, since he has played every match since end of August.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I think the point was quite clear. I said he was their top scorer even though he barely plays. He played less than half his teammates and yet he's their leading scorer.
If people want to understand something else, it's really their problem. It was crystal clear what I meant.
Otherwise I would have said something like "he's benched all the time".

We had a discussion about Edouard leading the line for Chelsea, as I thought he was a good move for Chelsea rather than a lower profile EPL team. Too bad they went the Lukaku route.
Lukaku is a better player right now, but IMO, his price compared to Edouard doesn't make up the difference in talent.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Does Ronaldo really improve Man Utd?
I think this was a masterful piece of chess by City. They knew they'd either get the striker they needed or force United into taking a player on massive wages who cannot be dropped and may be a square peg.

Reactions: maclean

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Yeah, he doesn't press because he's too old. Teams can't win in England anymore without all their forwards pressing. That's why I hoped for City to sign him.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I think the point was quite clear. I said he was their top scorer even though he barely plays. He played less than half his teammates and yet he's their leading scorer.
If people want to understand something else, it's really their problem. It was crystal clear what I meant.
Otherwise I would have said something like "he's benched all the time".

We had a discussion about Edouard leading the line for Chelsea, as I thought he was a good move for Chelsea rather than a lower profile EPL team. Too bad they went the Lukaku route.
Lukaku is a better player right now, but IMO, his price compared to Edouard doesn't make up the difference in talent.

The sample size is way too small to make the kind of overreaching argument you're trying to make with the help of misleading phrasing. You can't say a guy who's a regular starter 'barely plays'. Edouard has done well, but he's got 3 goals to Zaha and Gallagher's 2. A guy can score 3 goals in a half and then not score the next 3 months. A more honest appraisal of his performance can be made in January.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
:facepalm:
How many minutes do Zaha and Gallagher have?
Did I say he was the signing of the season or something?

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
To an extent, but where do you play him? Centrally? He basically would leave the center backs with a free play out of the back

It's not his position, so much as the lack of support, IMO. United would need to switch from the two flanking wings set-up to giving him someone else up top to offer support and take most of the pressing duties. But that's likely not maximizing the rest of their roster if they do that.

He sells kits.
SAF wanted him.
City wanted him. I think there's a strong argument that United's leadership would not or could not allow him to suit up across town. I'm a bit shocked he even considered it.
United is reactive not proactive.
Ole seems like a good dude who thinks they can figure out a way to plug him in.

Of course of course, all valid points. Definitely silly of me to look at it only from an on-pitch perspective :laugh:

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Are you for real?
8 EPL rounds, I say someone has small playing time and you counter with a "he started 3 gamezzzzzz".
And I'm wrong?
This is pretty awful tbh.
270 minutes. Out of 720 possible minutes.
You're really going to count the games where he was still playing in Scotland, huh? How dare Vieira not start him then.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Having read the rest of the thread, I will concede that this seems like the case of a connotation not matching the denotation and can be chalked up to English being Evilo's second language.

Reactions: luiginb

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
He's looked better than I had seen him for Celtic and for that price, definitely wasn't a bad look for Palace. That's one of those situations where being a London club matters. I think Brighton is a more attractive Football project than Palace, but think I'd rather be in London than the south coast (sorry!).

I always had the impression that Brighton was close enough to London that it doesn't make all that much difference. Isn't it like a 45 minute train ride or something? It takes longer than that just to get across London.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
I always had the impression that Brighton was close enough to London that it doesn't make all that much difference. Isn't it like a 45 minute train ride or something? It takes longer than that just to get across London.
I don't think it's that far at all, but just the same, if given the two options...

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W

It's a little over an hour, but of course, you don't exactly live right at the train station on either end of the journey. As a Premiership footballer I suspect you'd not be super keen to take a train either. By car it will depend on where you go in London but of course you most likely have to go 'across London' to some extent, so that could be a 2 hour car ride. I'd say it certainly makes a difference.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Yeah, this is true, though I do think Brighton also offers some things London lacks in terms of recreation and perhaps the point is more that London is quite close by, so you have that option more so than being stranded somewhere up north. But, like, personally I would never want to live anywhere in England for anything so

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Yeah it takes about 45 by train. It's really not that far from London.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Yeah I love you Evilo, but I don't understand how you can continue the debate. Edouard has been given enough time and has showcased himself as a solid striker. He's going to keep getting more and more minutes with the way he's been playing.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Guy, read the thread. I was merely saying the guy was the leading scorer even though he played far less than the players on his team. There's absolutely nothing wrong with what I wrote.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad