GWT: PL Matchweek 35 & 36

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
At this point there's really no reason for Klopp to throw out a very significantly rotated team for the last two games.

Can't get any more records, so might as well give the kids a chance.
I think the kids showed more hunger when they played and probably would have helped in a game like this anyway, but yeah would be nice to see.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
At this point there's really no reason for Klopp to throw out a very significantly rotated team for the last two games.

Can't get any more records, so might as well give the kids a chance.
I'd still like to win on the day we lift the trophy.

Couldn't care less about Newcastle now.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
So it sounds like Arsenal lost corsi and all the advanced stats but capitalized on their few chances with a high shooting percentages?

sounds like a 2010 Habs playoff game

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
How do Burnley, West Ham and Spurs fans watch this brand of football every week? Almost had a heart attack.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Yeah. I’m more annoyed than mad. LFC should have won both games.
I could care less about any records. Media loves that narrative though.

They already set the most important record to me. Best start ever of any team in any major league ever. Other teams in other leagues have had 100 points, or long runs, but they alone had the start they had.

Liverpool fans turning on each other after they've won the title is a plot twist I didn't expect

The only thing this game really mattered for was banter. I have to say that I expected this and said numerous times that this would probably happen. All that matters for the team now is avoiding injuries. The hard work was already done a while ago. This was the third season of this kind of form in one competition or another. This is the first time in those three seasons that they have played games in the league or CL where they didn't actually need to perform well in them. I expected nothing from this run whatsoever, I'm pleased with how this is going, and the team will be back strong and healthy next season should nobody be injured in the last two matches.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
One legitimate criticism is that we need goals on the bench.

All of the other elite teams in Europe can bring guys on in the 65th minute where you go "oh shit.."

Origi serves a role and Minamino is promising, but we don't have that.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA

All of the other elite teams in Europe can bring guys on in the 65th minute where you go "oh shit.."

I think they actually need someone who can create more than another scorer. Not to create assists but to make the incisive pass. There are things that can be done with the formation in order to ensure that we always have one or two of the front three on the pitch at all times. Brewster is having a really good scoring run for Swansea and should get a chance upon return.

In a game against that kind of football, I don't think throwing on another striker would have done much of anything. Shooting threat from midfield however tends to draw out defenders to force them to close down the shot, which is why someone like Thiago should be bought to play that killer pass.

Reactions: Machinehead

VEGASKING

Dec 23, 2002
Sin City
www.facebook.com
I think the kids showed more hunger when they played and probably would have helped in a game like this anyway, but yeah would be nice to see.

The sad thing is a mix of Origi, Shaqiri, Minamino and kids probably beats this Arsenal team pretty easily. That sort of team should have been starting the final 5 matches of the season. They're out of the FA Cup too right? So it's not like you need to keep your core players fit for other competitions.

Reactions: YNWA14

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA

Agreed. This is especially concerning with the 5 substitution rule.

City can bring on guys like Mahrez/Sterling/Jesus/Foden to change games. Plus whoever they buy this summer Lol.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
3 losses in past 9 league games. 3 losses in past 74 league games before that.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
The sad thing is a mix of Origi, Shaqiri, Minamino and kids probably beats this Arsenal team pretty easily. That sort of team should have been starting the final 5 matches of the season. They're out of the FA Cup too right? So it's not like you need to keep your core players fit for other competitions.
Yeah I know the narrative is ‘who cares’ but Klopp and a bunch of the players made it clear that they did care. It was our strongest team out there every game and very limited chances for the young players who would have really gained from the experience of it I think. I just think they ran out of steam, they haven’t been super sharp despite playing relatively well. I’d have liked to see Jones, Williams and Elliott get starts in all the rest of the games to end the season, and if you’re really trying to sell guys like Shaqiri, Lovren and Origi why not let them play more as a showcase?

Anyway the records are gone but there are still a few opportunities hopefully for the kids to get some more game time in. We’ll see.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Agreed. This is especially concerning with the 5 substitution rule.

City can bring on guys like Mahrez/Sterling/Jesus/Foden to change games. Plus whoever they buy this summer Lol.
City: *buys another world class attacker to sit behind Bernardo, Mahrez, and Foden*

FSG: "You guys remember Curtis Jones. Pretend he's a transer."

Reactions: Cassano

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
As an Arsenal fan, I can't put into words how relieving it is to hear that from him .

His predecessors never called out recruitment and financial backing.
Love to see it. Coming from City, Arteta knows what money can get you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad