GWT: PL Matchweek 1

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
1 x 2 prediction (1 = home win, x = draw, 2 = away win)

Liverpool - Norwich 2
West Ham - Man City 2
Bournemouth - Sheffield x
Burnley - Southampton 2
Crystal Palace - Everton 2
Watford - Brighton 1
Tottenham - Astonvilla 1
Leicester - Wolverhapton 2
Newcastle - Arsenal 2
Man Utd - Chelsea 2

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Didn't notice this thread here already existed... oh well.

1 x 2 prediction ( 1 = home win, x = draw, 2 = away win)

Liverpool - Norwich 2
West Ham - Man City 2
Bournemouth - Sheffield x
Burnley - Southampton 2
Crystal Palace - Everton 2
Watford - Brighton 1
Tottenham - Astonvilla 1
Leicester - Wolverhampton 2
Newcastle - Arsenal 2
Man Utd - Chelsea 2

Juve

May 13, 2011
Somewhere around the world
I can't wait for tomorrow's game. I think I was going through football withdrawals.

It felt like
giphy.gif

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Pensionsraddare

May 18, 2018
Karlstad
It's a well known thing that it is always tricky for a top team to go up against a newcomer on the opening night, but i do not think that will apply here. Liverpool win comfortable. Not exactly the most exciting opening game on paper, but still looking forward to it. Remember that friday opener against Leicester two years ago. Absolute bonkers!

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I think it'll be a very exciting game. Norwich has some pretty good offensive players on their team, and they scored a ton of goals last season...of course they also allowed a lot of goals for a team finishing comfortably in 1st place.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Norwich isn’t going to be a cakewalk, but I don’t see them taking points at Anfield

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Norwich are tough customers. I am honest, I am scared to death for this match, as dropping points here would be catastrophic for Liverpool season.

I found Liverpool defense and coordination was clearly subpar during pre season and an attacking team like Norwich will definately try exploiting that.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Norwich are tough customers. I am honest, I am scared to death for this match, as dropping points here would be catastrophic for Liverpool season.

I found Liverpool defense and coordination was clearly subpar during pre season and an attacking team like Norwich will definately try exploiting that.
Are you going to do this every week?

But Chelsea have Pulisic who scores vs LFC

But Southampton away is after Istanbul and they played us tough there

But Arsenal spent over 100m this summer

But even Klopp says Burnley away is no picnic

And that is just August

Scared to death? Of Norwich at Anfield? Really? That is needlessly pessimistic. Liverpool kept a 97 point team together and (focusing on this week) they are great at home. We get it. You like the London teams too, but how many points worse do you really think Liverpool will be worse this season? There is nothing wrong with respecting Norwich but “scared to death” is really over the top. There are very few easy games.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fro

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Are you going to do this every week?

But Chelsea have Pulisic who scores vs LFC

But Southampton away is after Istanbul and they played us tough there

But Arsenal spent over 100m this summer

But even Klopp says Burnley away is no picnic

And that is just August

Scared to death? Of Norwich at Anfield? Really? That is needlessly pessimistic. Liverpool kept a 97 point team together and (focusing on this week) they are great at home. We get it. You like the London teams too, but how many points worse do you really think Liverpool will be worse this season? There is nothing wrong with respecting Norwich but “scared to death” is really over the top. There are very few easy games.
It is all about starting on the right foot and not increasing the pressure on the team.

Last year Liverpool managed pressure very well and were very consistent and part of that was the great start of the season. A loss or a tie here will set up doubts from players and fans and will increase the pressure on Liverpool.

I am a very anxious person in general and I have possibly seen this team not deliver when the pressure is on too often. That being said Klopp is a great manager and I believe in the players. I am just scared of the rustiness of the squad and apparent over confidence from the fans and media about this game.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
It is all about starting on the right foot and not increasing the pressure on the team.

Last year Liverpool managed pressure very well and were very consistent and part of that was the great start of the season. A loss or a tie here will set up doubts from players and fans and will increase the pressure on Liverpool.

I am a very anxious person in general and I have possibly seen this team not deliver when the pressure is on too often. That being said Klopp is a great manager and I believe in the players. I am just scared of the rustiness of the squad and apparent over confidence from the fans and media about this game.
No s***. Your first two paragraphs apply to EVERY team.

There is a lot more good than bad with LFC right now. That doesn’t mean they will win the league, but that’s soccer

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008

Screen-Shot-2017-10-03-at-8.29.06-AM.png

Reactions: Cassano

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010

I don't think there's much to worry about here. The only thing I think to worry about is not keeping a clean sheet; I'd much rather they opened the season in exciting fashion though and really look to pot a bunch of goals against a team that just doesn't play defensively. While they looked rusty a lot in preseason they certainly looked great in the 2nd half of the community shield as well as in their last preseason game against teams that should be much better than Norwich this season.

Plus as mentioned before...this team is battle tested. Early in the season I don't think is going to be the issue before the depth really has to be called upon. I don't think that the performance from last season will be replicated but they're still clearly the 2nd best team in the PL.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA

Subs: Adrian, Matip, Milner, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Keita, Shaqiri, Mane

Excellent bench first of all. Second of all, been waiting for this since the CL win and it's going to be strange to see the boys playing a real game.

Reactions: YNWA14

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010

Subs: Adrian, Matip, Milner, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Keita, Shaqiri, Mane

Excellent bench first of all. Second of all, been waiting for this since the CL win and it's going to be strange to see the boys playing a real game.

Too bad Mane couldn't start with the opening day record for goal scoring on the line. Hope he pots one anyway!

Great team and bench though.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Klopp/Edwards

If you are going to sell me that we didn’t need a forward because we have Brewster, you need to start picking Brewster, at least on the bench. Wasn’t named in Community Shield either when teams had six subs.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Too bad Mane couldn't start with the opening day record for goal scoring on the line. Hope he pots one anyway!

Great team and bench though.
Norwich has some of their firepower on the bench too. Would like to put them away early. Could see cagey first 60 with Norwich trying to ramp up at the end.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad