News Article: PK to be pronounced ''Pay-Kah''

Status
Not open for further replies.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
They should call him Denzel before they call him Pay-kah. I mean... the players do get to tell the broadcasters how they pronounce their name.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
They should call him Denzel before they call him Pay-kah. I mean... the players do get to tell the broadcasters how they pronounce their name.

Hell I'd prefer it if he was called Pernell Karl instead of Pay-Ka.

Not The One

Feb 28, 2002
Montréal, Qc.
Meh. It's a well-known fact that the only acceptable way to pronounce hockey names is the american way, whether the name is french, scandinavian, german, swedish, czech, russian or chinese. :nod:

Which actually only makes sense with PK... but if francos have been subjected to years of Patty Waaaahh, maybe Pé-Ka isn't so bad. :)

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Yeah,
But only Pierre takes notice. :laugh:

Well, it was sort of tradition with the guys at Radio-Canada. We're pretty good with languages and accents here in Quebec. Much better than in France, for example.

And Pierre now says that english speaking announcers are trying to up their game a bit in that department.

But yeah, PK is PK. He's an english speaking guy, from an english speaking place, with an name in english. Bunch of loonies. :loony:

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Meh. It's a well-known fact that the only acceptable way to pronounce hockey names is the american way, whether the name is french, scandinavian, german, swedish, czech, russian or chinese. :nod:

Which actually only makes sense with PK... but if francos have been subjected to years of Patty Waaaahh, maybe Pé-Ka isn't so bad. :)

It just means Pierre oozes with professionalism, as opposed to 99% of the other broadcasters.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Makes me think about the journalist that write Kostistyne, Ovechkine etc.. :laugh:

...That is actually correct. Because russian names are the result of a translitteration and are, broadly speaking, an adaptation.

No serious French media would write "Putin". It's "Poutine".

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
Double standard. It is good for anglos to pronounce everything the english way, but not the other way around. Clear sign of the assimilation process that is going on. Even the French from France now puts english words everywhere.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Double standard. It is good for anglos to pronounce everything the english way, but not the other way around. Claer sign of the assimilation process that is going on. Even the French from France now puts english words everywhere.

No, it's not, but English people mostly don't complain about this.

void

Jan 5, 2006
Double standard. It is good for anglos to pronounce everything the english way, but not the other way around. Clear sign of the assimilation process that is going on. Even the French from France now puts english words everywhere.

giphy.gif

Apr 1, 2006
Montreal
100% guaranteed they'll vote for that "french" GDT I made :laugh:

Seriously, even as a francophone, I find this very embarassing. Proper names is something I take very seriously and I always double check when emailing. His name isn't Pierre-Karl, it's Pernell-Karl. Period.

President XD

Apr 30, 2014

This irks me so freaking much. You're watching a show on Canal Investigation and it's translated in France and there are so many English words pronounces in French like:

Des talkies walkies
fusil de longue riffle (Long Range Riffle)
Smart "faune"
Dze Voice
Josianne habitait un traileur home

And so on and so forth.. and then they have the balls to criticize Quebec French?

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
The use of "Pay-Kah" is sure to spread like wildfire...just like the "hambourgeois".

Names and "food specialties" should always be translated "as is" (in other words, not translated). A "Poutine" remains a "poutine" in English.

And "hambourgeois" was a great solution, compared to "saucipain".

Nynja*

Denzel Subban? I'm on board with this. Maybe he'll start playing better if we call him Denzel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad