News Article: PK to be pronounced ''Pay-Kah''

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sword

May 26, 2014
Delete if old

It's not enough for Montreal Canadiens star Pernell Karl Subban to be known as P.K., as there's now a push by a French-language group in Quebec to change the way his initials should be pronounced.

The Association pour le soutien et l’usage de la langue française (ASULF) has a request for the Canadiens' French-language broadcasters: pronounce it "Pay-Kah," not the Anglicized "Pee-Kay."

In a statement obtained by La Presse, the group argues that English-language broadcasters have habitually made Vincent Lecavalier "Vinny" and Daniel Briere "Danny" when calling or analyzing games. The group has also asked for French speakers to stop using the popular English term "tailgate" to describe a pregame party.

http://www.lapresse.ca/sports/hockey/201512/15/01-4931586-pique-ou-peka-subban.php

Stripper

Mar 4, 2013
Just let it go lol. There's nothing to discuss. I'm all pro-french, but this is stupid. Pronounce the names the way they're meant to be said. Should rather target the commentators that don't pronounce the names of francophones in a "french" way... if they really want to start a useless battle, that is.

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
Umm...yeah, okay...
Personally I would want my name pronounced...the way it's supposed to be pronounced (or at least the way my parents pronounce it...which isn't always the same ;))

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
I assume this group is kidding?

Where were they last year when we had Pay-Ahh Parenteau?

quidam1981

Oct 31, 2008
My posting history would confirm that I'm as pro-French as can be, but this is dumb... I actually find it cool that Pierre Houde (and the likes) are not actually "frenchisizing" (I know that's not a word) every name the way most anglophones are "englishizing" names...

Sined

The AndroidBugler!
Jun 25, 2007
My name is Denis and personally I want Anglos to call me "Den-nis" and Francos to call me "De-nis".

But it always end up being the opposite with Francos calling me "Dehn-nis" (because I'm Anglo I guess) and Anglos calling me "Duh-nis" (because my name is spelled in the french way)...

I need this group to fight for me plox.

dreamingofdrouin*

Delete if old

It's not enough for Montreal Canadiens star Pernell Karl Subban to be known as P.K., as there's now a push by a French-language group in Quebec to change the way his initials should be pronounced.

The Association pour le soutien et l’usage de la langue française (ASULF) has a request for the Canadiens' French-language broadcasters: pronounce it "Pay-Kah," not the Anglicized "Pee-Kay."

In a statement obtained by La Presse, the group argues that English-language broadcasters have habitually made Vincent Lecavalier "Vinny" and Daniel Briere "Danny" when calling or analyzing games. The group has also asked for French speakers to stop using the popular English term "tailgate" to describe a pregame party.

http://www.lapresse.ca/sports/hockey/201512/15/01-4931586-pique-ou-peka-subban.php

what the **** am i even reading? :laugh:

Davebo*

I loved PK's response:

“I heard about this,” Subban said in the Canadiens’ locker room after practice Wednesday afternoon. “It sounds kind of sexy, actually. I like it. I’d say c’est très bien, but my name’s P.K. But if they want to call me Pay-Kee or Pay-Kah … I’ve heard Pay-Kah before.

“Since we’re changing the pronunciation of my name and stuff, just start calling me Denzel, why not?”

President XD

Apr 30, 2014
In other related new, l'Office de la langue française would like Walmart to be renamed, Marché du mur in Quebec. They've also asked Canadian Tire to be renamed Pneu canadien

(Yes I'm kidding)

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
I-Dont-Want-to-Live-on-This-Planet-Anymore-Meme.jpg

images

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I hate it when language professionnals comes up with suggestions that are both unfounded and terribly wrong.

What they've done there is about as damaging (for us) as a doctor suggesting blood-letting (not sure if it's the right word) as a way to cure fever in 2015.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
Don't the players decide how they want their own names to be pronounced?

As I understood it there is an NHL guide for broadcasters and it is based on the players' stated preference. For example we saw Marchand change the pronunciation of his name two season back to anglicize it: Mar-'Shand.

So it makes the news, but this is not up to the 90-year-old drama queen Robert Auclair to decide. :laugh:

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008
So it's not acceptable to anglicize Daniel or Vincent, but completely reasonable to do the opposite for PK.

Makes perfect sense really. 10/10 logic.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
So it's not acceptable to anglicize Daniel or Vincent, but completely reasonable to do the opposite for PK.

Makes perfect sense really. 10/10 logic.

- I remember Daniel going on the record that he bored to hear its name butchered, or that it sounded a little too feminine.
- It's not because one group is doing it wrong (anglicizing Vincent, which isn't even hard to pronounce à la française for English people, as opposed to, say, Alexandre, and there are tougher names than this one) without veering into Alexander that the other has to do it wrong too.

And even there, the decision is up to the person whose name is getting pronounced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad