News Article: PK to be pronounced ''Pay-Kah''

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Makes me think about the journalist that write Kostistyne, Ovechkine etc.. :laugh:

This is how their names are transcribed in French. Unless you want to put Овечкин, you have to transcribe his name. His wiki in French has him as "Aleksandr Ovetchkine", which is a lot closer to the actual pronunciation than the americanized Alexander Ovechkin.
We don't use the cyrillic alphabet.

PK is anglophone and everyone calls him Pee-Kay. He is not Peladeau, these guys should stop obsessing over trivial stuff like this.

DyerMaker66*

Delete if old

It's not enough for Montreal Canadiens star Pernell Karl Subban to be known as P.K., as there's now a push by a French-language group in Quebec to change the way his initials should be pronounced.

The Association pour le soutien et l’usage de la langue française (ASULF) has a request for the Canadiens' French-language broadcasters: pronounce it "Pay-Kah," not the Anglicized "Pee-Kay."

In a statement obtained by La Presse, the group argues that English-language broadcasters have habitually made Vincent Lecavalier "Vinny" and Daniel Briere "Danny" when calling or analyzing games. The group has also asked for French speakers to stop using the popular English term "tailgate" to describe a pregame party.

http://www.lapresse.ca/sports/hockey/201512/15/01-4931586-pique-ou-peka-subban.php

I'd like it if broadcasters called him Pernell more often, but I was told he doesn't like it.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
there arent enough facepalms in the world for the stupidity of the french journalists for this case :facepalm:

From what I could gather, the journalists are mostly reporting this piece of news. If you meant that it was worth reporting... Well, I can agree to a certain degree, but but it probably attracted quite a bit of clicks, so according to journalisms standards of today, it was a relevant piece.

On the other hand, am I the only one who noticed that a journalist asked MT yesterday about the trade of Christian Thomas (and pronounced Christian Thomas à la française?)

Goldthorpe

Meditating Guru
Jan 22, 2003
Montreal
Pierre Houde has always made it his rule to pronounce player's name in their native language - he has repeated so many times in the past. Trying to "frenchize" anglophone names would totally go against that policy.

Capitaine Subban*

This is how their names are transcribed in French. Unless you want to put Овечкин, you have to transcribe his name. His wiki in French has him as "Aleksandr Ovetchkine", which is a lot closer to the actual pronunciation than the americanized Alexander Ovechkin.
We don't use the cyrillic alphabet.

PK is anglophone and everyone calls him Pee-Kay. He is not Peladeau, these guys should stop obsessing over trivial stuff like this.

I agree and ppl here too.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
This is the dumbest crap I've ever heard...
So will they ask for Subban to be pronounced in french too? ''Ban'' in english is different than French. What about Gallagher? Will it be Gallaghé? Brendan? Jilbert instead of Gilbert?..Carré Prisse instead of Carey Price?..
I certainly hope nobody actually takes this crap seriously.

Capitaine Subban*

This is the dumbest crap I've ever heard...
So will they ask for Subban to be pronounced in french too? ''Ban'' in english is different than French. What about Gallagher? Will it be Gallaghé? Brendan? Jilbert instead of Gilbert?..Carré Prisse instead of Carey Price?..
I certainly hope nobody actually takes this crap seriously.

You and many posters here ...

Goldthorpe

Meditating Guru
Jan 22, 2003
Montreal
The reason it's so bad an idea is because it basically boils down to a schoolyard revenge. "So these jerks mispronounce french name all the time? Well, we'll do the same with yours!" Very mature.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
They asked PK and he told the media he wants to be called "Denzel".

that was some G ****

tumblr_n9p5gj85sw1txw6s1o1_500.gif

http://www.rds.ca/videos/hockey/lnh/canadiens/p-k-ou-denzel-3.1165796

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
I loved PK's response:

“I heard about this,†Subban said in the Canadiens’ locker room after practice Wednesday afternoon. “It sounds kind of sexy, actually. I like it. I’d say c’est très bien, but my name’s P.K. But if they want to call me Pay-Kee or Pay-Kah … I’ve heard Pay-Kah before.

“Since we’re changing the pronunciation of my name and stuff, just start calling me Denzel, why not?â€

Ok for Denzel but we'll pronounce it Dent-zèlle. :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad