Confirmed with Link: PK Subban signed - 8y x 9M$ - Part II Meehan Strikes Back

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
:laugh:

Actually kid, being upset at a process in no way implies any type of judgement on the outcome. For example, many people oppose stem cell research. If a cure for cancer were developed through it, according to you they'd be unhappy with the termination of cancer (the "ends"), and not the method used to end it (the "means") which is obviously absurd.

Look kid, I get it, you like MB, but try reading the example I provided above, calmly, slowly, and two or three times before responding, because there really is a difference between how people can feel about "means" and "ends".

I didn't think it was possible to write so much, yet have so little actual content. As if your insecurity couldn't be more transparent.

Fact is, you're arguing ferociously over something that you're purely speculating on. At the end of the day, none of us know how the negotiations went, and what went on behind closed doors. There couldn't be a more pointless argument than what you are currently having, because it is about a process we know nothing about.

Winter Eclipse

Nov 28, 2013
New York, NY
I didn't think it was possible to write so much, yet have so little actual content. As if your insecurity couldn't be more transparent.

And your partisanship couldn't be more odious; I wonder where your moral outrage is at other posters throwing around pejoratives?

Fact is, you're arguing ferociously over something that you're purely speculating on. At the end of the day, none of us know how the negotiations went, and what went on behind closed doors. There couldn't be a more pointless argument than what you are currently having, because it is about a process we know nothing about.

Again, spare me your moralizing from on high. Everyone in this thread is speculating, and yet when PK is called "a selfish SOB" you remain obediently silent, when Meehan is characterized as the source of all problems, you stay cowed. And yet, when those ridiculous speculations are responded to, out you come, to feign righteous, unbiased indignation!!

You mistook anger for insecurity, I wonder what you'll mistake contempt for?

Non Player Canadiens

Jan 25, 2012
Maplewood, NJ
^ ^ ^

Romany-Malco-Kevin-Hart-Argue-At-The-Electronics-Store-In-40-Year-Old-Virgin.jpg

can't believe you guys are still arguing about this, though.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011

Amen!!

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
And your partisanship couldn't be more odious; I wonder where your moral outrage is at other posters throwing around pejoratives?

Again, spare me your moralizing from on high. Everyone in this thread is speculating, and yet when PK is called "a selfish SOB" you remain obediently silent, when Meehan is characterized as the source of all problems, you stay cowed. And yet, when those ridiculous speculations are responded to, out you come, to feign righteous, unbiased indignation!!

So now, instead of admitting that you are arguing over your own blind speculation, you accuse me of not partaking in this ridiculous conversation at every possible moment as a reason as to how I'm wrong? I think you arguing on every page of this thread is more telling of anything than the fact that I have contributed so little. Know why I've contributed little? Because this is one of the most stupid ongoing threads on our boards. All blind speculation without knowing a lick of how things actually work, and you're one of the biggest culprits.

Nice to hear from you SouthernHab! Eager for the season to start so I'll be a little more active.

Winter Eclipse

Nov 28, 2013
New York, NY
So now, instead of admitting that you are arguing over your own blind speculation, you accuse me of not partaking in this ridiculous conversation at every possible moment as a reason as to how I'm wrong? I think you arguing on every page of this thread is more telling of anything than the fact that I have contributed so little. Know why I've contributed little? Because this is one of the most stupid ongoing threads on our boards. All blind speculation without knowing a lick of how things actually work, and you're one of the biggest culprits.

And yet I'm the only "culprit" you called out. I ask you again, where was this self-righteous wroth against blind speculation when PK was called an SOB?

Where was your virtuous outrage when ECW called multiple people "kid" and "kiddo"?

Where was this upright call for fact based discussion when Southernhab called anyone who didn't agree with him a CPA spreadsheet dependent video game nerd?

Oh, but lo! Now all of a sudden Mr. Jingles transforms into a harbinger of fury and outrage. "It's all baseless speculation you jerk!!" he rages, despite that not apparently being the case previously:

I think it's fairly obvious that the Habs saved money on the bridge contract, and that in the end this was a good deal.

So a thread with nothing but "baseless speculation" has, in fact, a "fairly obvious" right answer it seems. What a surprise to find out which way you lean on that issue! No, the reason you've contributed so little is because most other posters have displayed enormous patience when dealing with the inconsistencies, hyperbole, and hypocrisy of your "favorites" and I hurt your feelings with the tone I used; but now's your big chance to impress them isn't it? :laugh:

Nice to hear from you SouthernHab! Eager for the season to start so I'll be a litte more active.

I rest my case.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Your insinuating that MB was being an *******. But let me ask you this, put yourself in PK's shoes, if MB was being an ******* and offered you $8.5m, would you really agree to sign long term for a mere half million more per season? I know, of someone was an ******* to me, I wouldn't sign up for 8 more years of working with him.

Therefore its reasonable to assume 98% of the time that PK was telling the truth when he said the negotiations were respectful.

I'm not insinuating that MB was an *******. All I'm saying is, even if he were, PK wouldn't say it publicly. Subban's statement was PR and that's it. And even then, he did mention that Molson was "instrumental" in getting it done.

The problem with this argumentation is that people assume you are either 100% behind Bergevin, or 100% behind Subban.

My stance is neither of these. I just think Bergevin does a very good job overall, and made a minor, inconsequential mistake in this specific case. I'm sure Subban is looking forward to what he can do with this team and with Bergevin at the helm for the next few years.

He made some good moves this summer so that the young guys, including Subban, will have more responsibilities next year. What's not to like if you're Subban?

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
So because you haven't read a quote of mine saying so it means I'm unhappy? :laugh:
Do you read every single post of mine? :laugh:

God, you've used some seriously weak arguments before but this one tops it off. :laugh:

you failed, but hey! at least you tried.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Considering the value of the other thoughts you've posted on here, I'm not too worried :laugh:

In case it's not already clear, you've become the sitcom whacky neighbour -- the one who butts into a conversation, says something weird and then leaves. We're left scratching our heads while the audience laughs.

On the plus side, maybe you'll get your own spinoff.

Winter Eclipse

Nov 28, 2013
New York, NY
In case it's not already clear, you've become the sitcom whacky neighbour -- the one who butts into a conversation, says something weird and then leaves. We're left scratching our heads while the audience laughs.

On the plus side, maybe you'll get your own spinoff.

In case it's not already clear, I have utter contempt for your opinions. Have you honestly never had your hypocrisy pointed out before?

EDIT: It's a rhetorical question, now back to your Cheerios :)

jacks*

Mar 29, 2013
I give my props to Bergevin, in the end the team has reached an adequate solution. We now have security for another 8 years, we're in a good position moving forward.

Actually from what i have seen/read, below

Montreal Canadiens owner Geoff Molson reportedly intervened in the P.K. Subban contract negotiations.

Molson overruled general manager Marc Bergevin and made the decision to sign the defenseman to a long-term deal, Jack Todd of the Montreal Gazette reports.

I think the bridge was a great move and Molson also made a great move on the 8 yr contract.
As it stands we got P.K from the age of 23-33 for an average cap hit of 7.75 mil a season.
How can anyone be upset about that.I call that great management.

The Canadiens signed Subban to an eight-year, $72-million contract earlier this month, avoiding arbitration and the possibility of a one-year deal.

From the report:

A highly place source has confirmed our theory that it was indeed Molson who overruled GM Marc Bergevin, when it appeared that the club might be saddled with a single-year arbitration contract and a disgruntled star. It was Molson’s call to sign P.K. long-term and it was exactly right.

I give my props to Geoff Molson if true.

Not The One

Feb 28, 2002
Montréal, Qc.

I've said what I had to regarding this matter already but.... Odious Partisanship?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Actually from what i have seen/read, below

Montreal Canadiens owner Geoff Molson reportedly intervened in the P.K. Subban contract negotiations.

Molson overruled general manager Marc Bergevin and made the decision to sign the defenseman to a long-term deal, Jack Todd of the Montreal Gazette reports.

I think the bridge was a great move and Molson also made a great move on the 8 yr contract.
As it stands we got P.K from the age of 23-33 for an average cap hit of 7.75 mil a season.
How can anyone be upset about that.I call that great management.

The Canadiens signed Subban to an eight-year, $72-million contract earlier this month, avoiding arbitration and the possibility of a one-year deal.

From the report:

A highly place source has confirmed our theory that it was indeed Molson who overruled GM Marc Bergevin, when it appeared that the club might be saddled with a single-year arbitration contract and a disgruntled star. It was Molson’s call to sign P.K. long-term and it was exactly right.

I give my props to Geoff Molson if true.

It's 72 million $$$$$! I would think it obvious that the owner be deeply involved in the decision, and also be the one actually pulling the trigger. How could any self-respecting businessman leave those $$$ decisions to a subordinate?

Last edited:

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
He might have meant obvious partisanship and been redacted by a combination of a typo and auto correct.

jacks*

Mar 29, 2013
We basically signed Subban from the age of 23-33 for an average cap hit of 7.75 mil a season.That is great work from the owner and management.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
In case it's not already clear, I have utter contempt for your opinions. Have you honestly never had your hypocrisy pointed out before?

EDIT: It's a rhetorical question, now back to your Cheerios :)

Are you still here?

Your utter contempt is surprisingly lightweight, along with your posts.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
It's 72 million $$$$$! I would think it obvious that the owner be deeply involved in the decision, and also be the one actually pulling the trigger. How could any self-respecting businessman leave those $$$ decisions to a subordinate?

Well, the reasoning is that Molson decides that yes, the GM can spend to the cap each year. And it should stop there.

Then, the almighty, all-knowing GM manages this precious cap money to the best of his abilities. That means no more than 6 or 7M for a player. Anything above that is overpayment, as per HFBoards. Might as well keep that precious cap space, you never know.

:sarcasm:

In reality, the GM does his best to get a good team on the ice for next year, while having a plan for the mid- and long-term. And yes, some of these long-term decisions might require the owner's input... oh, the horror! :scared:

I'm still completely dumbfounded that some posters here find this concept strange or somehow unacceptable. Hey guys, if you put Bergevin's and Therrien's contract end to end, it doesn't even add up to the amount of time that Subban will be here. :laugh: Guess who's more important for the owner?

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
It would be nice if people started getting Molson's role correct. He's the President, there's a direct reporting line to him for Bergevin. Presidents get involved.

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
And yet I'm the only "culprit" you called out. I ask you again, where was this self-righteous wroth against blind speculation when PK was called an SOB?

Where was your virtuous outrage when ECW called multiple people "kid" and "kiddo"?

Where was this upright call for fact based discussion when Southernhab called anyone who didn't agree with him a CPA spreadsheet dependent video game nerd?

Oh, but lo! Now all of a sudden Mr. Jingles transforms into a harbinger of fury and outrage. "It's all baseless speculation you jerk!!" he rages, despite that not apparently being the case previously:

So a thread with nothing but "baseless speculation" has, in fact, a "fairly obvious" right answer it seems. What a surprise to find out which way you lean on that issue! No, the reason you've contributed so little is because most other posters have displayed enormous patience when dealing with the inconsistencies, hyperbole, and hypocrisy of your "favorites" and I hurt your feelings with the tone I used; but now's your big chance to impress them isn't it? :laugh:

I rest my case.

Do you not realize how silly you look like right now? I didn't have any outrage with other posters, and frankly didn't have any with you, because no one has embarrassed themselves quite like you have. You've managed to turn yourself into a sideshow because you are taking this so seriously that it is getting pathetic.

As for myself, I think that the bridge contract ended up being a good deal and we saved money in the long run. I explained my point and I think most would agree I have a good argument. The problem here is that I never once said I disagreed with your argument, but rather the way you conduct yourself.

This thread should be deleted at this point. It has devolved into Winter Eclipse getting overly defensive and everyone picking on him. This almost has nothing to do with Subban anymore.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
As for myself, I think that the bridge contract ended up being a good deal and we saved money in the long run.

Who cares if we save money 6 years from now? Really, what do you care about that?
Can you tell me anything that is set about our team 6 years from now?

So what's the point? Wouldn't you like to have PK for 4M cheaper over the next 3 years now?

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
It would be nice if people started getting Molson's role correct. He's the President, there's a direct reporting line to him for Bergevin. Presidents get involved.

Shhhhh... Stop that right there!

Bergevin is the almighty manager of this team. He can't do wrong. Like most of the posters here... :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad