PK Subban part II: Norris and stuff Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Wasn't a veteran play for sure. Subban not being strong on the puck and having is stick lift by McDavid, which he probably ly wasn't expecting, was a rookie play. The defensive coverage in both the Vancouver and Edmonton games was awful.

... The Subban on McDavid thing was a nothing play. Something you wouldn't remember today if not for the puck ending up behind Price. And again, that one was mostly on Markov.

Was Subban perfect in those two games? Far from that. Blaming him specifically for that play in particular? That's a big reach.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
... The Subban on McDavid thing was a nothing play. Something you wouldn't remember today if not for the puck ending up behind Price. And again, that one was mostly on Markov.

Was Subban perfect in those two games? Far from that. Blaming him specifically for that play in particular? That's a big reach.

Just watched the goal. Both Markov and Subban got schooled by McDavid. Subban needed to be stronger on the puck, that was wat too easy by McDavid and I'm surprised Markov went for McDavid instead of picking up Pouliot.

Baruch

I like DD (Cups)
Apr 26, 2014
Montréal
Just watched the goal. Both Markov and Subban got schooled by McDavid. Subban needed to be stronger on the puck, that was wat too easy by McDavid and I'm surprised Markov went for McDavid instead of picking up Pouliot.

At least it's McDavid we're talking about, and not some third liner ;)
(looking at Giordano getting schooled by Flash :D ).

mustardnight*

Aug 11, 2011
Nice to see PK concentrating on defense first in the Winnipeg game. Thought he played much better.

I think that if the team scores 5 he knows he's more valuable shutting the game down, which is interesting.

expy

Nov 2, 2010
He should be taken off the first PP wave, he's a liability in the offensive zone lately. Shaky, slow at making decisions, brisebois'ing shots at the point, giving away pucks at the point... Terrible.

HabsCowboysOwn

Wak Prescott the 40M/yr fraud, here we gooo!
Feb 28, 2008
Montréal
He should be taken off the first PP wave, he's a liability in the offensive zone lately. Shaky, slow at making decisions, brisebois'ing shots at the point, giving away pucks at the point... Terrible.

I hope you're being sarcastic because if not, this is the most pathetic post I've ever seen. Subban is doing just fine.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
He should be taken off the first wave? I'm going to have to say that I disagree with you this.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
He should be taken off the first wave? I'm going to have to say that I disagree with you this.

I think there's some merit to the idea. When the powerplay starts, you're obviously "gifted" an offensive zone faceoff. Don't need Subban and Markov's skills in getting the puck up the ice - job's already done. I've got confidence in Petry's and Beaulieu's ability to move the puck around on the PP, and if we shifted PK in on the fly from there, it's harder for the defense to bring in someone to cover him on the fly (guys on the PP can change at will without leaving odd man situations, not so much guys on the PK) AND he might see a few more tired defenses to exploit. I'd do it enough to keep the opposition defenses on their toes.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I think there's some merit to the idea. When the powerplay starts, you're obviously "gifted" an offensive zone faceoff. Don't need Subban and Markov's skills in getting the puck up the ice - job's already done. I've got confidence in Petry's and Beaulieu's ability to move the puck around on the PP, and if we shifted PK in on the fly from there, it's harder for the defense to bring in someone to cover him on the fly (guys on the PP can change at will without leaving odd man situations, not so much guys on the PK) AND he might see a few more tired defenses to exploit. I'd do it enough to keep the opposition defenses on their toes.

Except Petry has arguably been better than PK or Markov in transition this season. The PP is top-5 and PK is 2nd for D in points. Why is now the time to change things up? Especially since PK will occasionally play on both units anyways.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
PK's game changed a lot since he's in the NHL. He's becoming more and more a Markov type defenseman.

You barely notice him on the ice some nights, but when you look at the game recap stats after the game , he played 25 minutes picked up 2 assists and is +3 .

He became a steady all rounded force out there.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
Except Petry has arguably been better than PK or Markov in transition this season. The PP is top-5 and PK is 2nd for D in points. Why is now the time to change things up? Especially since PK will occasionally play on both units anyways.

True about Petry, but a couple of things. First, maybe it's a good idea to have the best transition guy out there getting pucks back up the ice if cleared early on in the PP - keep the pressure on, catch any early PK personnel changes on the fly, etc. Second, Montreal's average shift length is under 50 seconds, I believe, and every PP point Subban has this season came more than (or close to) 50 seconds into those powerplay's anyway. So it's not really a change in special teams personnel as much as deployment. Sometimes you just have to get your best players away from set piece (ex: faceoffs) defensive strategies and try to work some mismatches on the fly.

Having said that, without PP points PK would be pointless for more than 2 weeks, so maybe status quo is what's best to keep him going.

Davebo*

You're thinking of Tom Gilbert - you must be. He's the only Habs D that fits any of those attributes

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Subban isn't playing that good right now (though he had a good game tonight), but I'm not worried.Let's put thingsi nto context, we're solidly first in the league and it would take a miracle for us to miss the playoffs with this roster.

He's managing his long-term energy pretty well, I want an absolutely on fire Subban in the playoffs.

Mrbubble

Jul 20, 2008
Montreal
C'mon he has been awesome all season long minus 2 or 3 games. It's not just the fact that he is producing offensively, he's doing so many great plays that nobody else in the league can do. He is solid defensively too. I would absolutely put him in the Norris race right now with Josi, Suter, Carlson and Klingberg.

He can do better for sure but people saying that he is not playing great are expecting way too much.

Ps: I am not the typical homer, i am actually a fan of hockey before a fan of my team and i watch a lot of games. Subban is defenit a top 5 Dman this year thus far.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
He looked much faster last night. Might have been very well an injury that make him lose a step, the rest is getting him back to form.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Subban is top 10 in scoring... overall! :amazed:

I know it won't last, but with our improved system where we don't always dump the puck, I see Subban raking up points like the boss he is.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
He was great last night. Just a bunch of little things he did that won't always show up on the scoresheet but make a big difference.

His poise at the blueline is incredible to watch, he doesn't get flustered when opponents pressure him and 9/10 times he makes the right move.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Read a lot of comments about Subban not being that good this year

Don't agree one bit, but if that's true, that's a scary thought for opposing teams

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Read a lot of comments about Subban not being that good this year

Don't agree one bit, but if that's true, that's a scary thought for opposing teams

I think he's been stellar as always. I really don't think there is a better Dman in the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad