News Article: PK Subban a finalist for the Norris

la25ecoupe

Sep 23, 2008
They won't give a trophee to both Gallagher and PK.. they don't like the Habs that much..

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
I think PK finishes third here. Isn't as recognized yet. The other two both deserve it, and PK will win it one day soon.

But Karlsson was? IMO that was the worst choice for Norris (Chara and Weber, nm Lidstrom were ALL better candidates than player 65).

I think the NHL will give us 1 between Gally and PK even though they should both win if anyone understands the game of hockey.

HankyZetts

Twi2ted
Mar 16, 2004
I'll be so mad if Letang wins. Suter was the best and PK was better than Letang this year, no doubt.

Congrats to PK on a great year so far! Pretty much shut me up on most every critique I've had on his game. If he can be more consistent in the upcoming years, I won't be surprised to see him flirting with the Norris for the foreseeable future.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Therrien should take some cues from Paul MacLean on how he utilizes Erik Karlsson...

This isn't another EK vs PK debate...

But I love the way they use EK in Ottawa, yes he'll sometimes make bad decisions with the puck but the good far outweighs the bad and they play him a ton because the more he plays, the better he is and the better chance they have of winning

In game 1 halfway through the 2nd period Subban had zero offensive zone starts and EK had zero defensive zone starts. I don't think Karlsson is on Subbans level as a defenseman. EK is a glorified Mike Green rehash.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
In game 1 halfway through the 2nd period Subban had zero offensive zone starts and EK had zero defensive zone starts. I don't think Karlsson is on Subbans level as a defenseman. EK is a glorified Mike Green rehash.

Mike Green is playing pretty damn well right now, but I agree with the comparison. Karlsson can do a bit more because he's a much better skater but people trying to say he's good in his own end are stretching their imaginations.

Plain and simple, he's dynamic in the neutral zone and offensive zone and a liability in his own end. He needs to use a longer stick and gain some more strength to be effective in the d-zone.

HeShootsHeScores

Mar 17, 2009
On tsn690 this morning Marinaro was saying he is 100% sure that Letang is stronger than Subban. WTF Subban is one of the strongest player of the entire NHL. I've rarely seen, if ever, a player with such a combination of balance, agility and strenght on his feet. And he can lay the hits for sure.

He then claimed Letang Looks physically stronger than Subban. Again wtf, subban is an athletic machine. I don't know what he smoked.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Marinaro is an idiot. Subban's probably up there as one of the strongest guys in the league. It's almost impossible to separate him from the puck.

Dr Gonzo

#1 Jan Bulis Fan
Dec 13, 2009
Bat Country
Marinaro is an idiot. Subban's probably up there as one of the strongest guys in the league. It's almost impossible to separate him from the puck.

His fenwick numbers (possession) are are top 5 in the league (2nd last time I checked on ES).

So yes, Marinaro is an idiot if he said otherwise.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
I hate to say it but I think Suter deserves it.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
One thing that Letang as over Subban is composure... Letang make for defensive mistakes with compusure.. so it gives the illusion he is close to subban defensively... but he isnt. :)

Teams are so focused on Sid and Malkin it gives Letang more room. Makes him look better IMO.

In MTL, Teams forcus on Subban and Markov and he still had the season he did.

I think Suter will win it but IMO Subban is better than Letang.

HankyZetts

Twi2ted
Mar 16, 2004
Teams are so focused on Sid and Malkin it gives Letang more room. Makes him look better IMO.

In MTL, Teams forcus on Subban and Markov and he still had the season he did.

I think Suter will win it but IMO Subban is better than Letang.

Absolutely. Our best players are Markov and Subban, Pitts best players are Crosby, Malkin, Neal, Iginla then Letang. Letang is really good, obviously, but Suter kills him and PK clearly had a better year this year imo.

Renholder

Racing like a pro
Jun 24, 2005
montreal
It is not clear cut. You have arguments for both sides.
I side with PK just because he has been dominant on the most improved team in the league this year. His offensive stats are better and he did not have the luxury of playing with a good defense men like Brodin. Suter played more minutes. PK was more dominant in less games in every metric beside TOI.

In equal games, Subban's stats would be so skewed, you'd be bonkers to state PK is clearly losing to Suter.

phoque taupe

May 15, 2010
Montréal
Grats PK for being a finalist,well deserved.

Letang will probably wins it,
so PK, beat those Sens and win the Norris next year in a complete schedule!

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Not trolling but I think Montreal as a team is better off if he doesn't win. Skill wise he is there but I think there is a level of maturity he needs to reach before you let the dog off the leash. I think it would benefit him to be passed over this time so it makes him look at the other areas in which he can improve that don't have to do with hockey.

I think the season Suter had seeing as he went to a new team and was teamed up with a rookie is leading the vote count. He started very poorly and then it just started to click. Letang is surrounded by too many stars that it is to difficult to distinguish his play from the rest.

I think if Karlsson wasn't hurt this season it would have been his award to lose just because of how good he is at controlling the game.

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004
Letang and Subban will split the East vote, Suter will get the whole West vote, Suter wins.

The majority of the west writers probably didn't follow the east much, especially with the conference schedules.

Beyond that these votes are popularity contests more then who should win.

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
I'd prefer he doesn't win it. There's still work that needs to be done to perfect his game.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
Does that mean that it will now be unacceptable to cross-check a Norris candidate in the ear without receiving a penalty?

Good one. I wish.

Still lots of KKK out there...just living in hate 24/7.

Still can't believe it was ok to cross-check PK to the head and get away with it (no penalty).

****ing KKK NHL:shakehead.
It's a Don Cherry NHL.

Can't wait till that changes.

Lots of KKK lovers out there that still can't admit that they think Subban is too NBA or too NFL for the NHL.

p.s.: give it to Karlsson again since he's got blue eyes and blonde hair. Forget that he may have black roots 1000-2000-3000yrs ago!!

Last edited:

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
Good one. I wish.

Still lots of KKK out there...just living in hate 24/7.

Still can't believe it was ok to cross-check PK to the head and get away with it (no penalty).

****ing KKK NHL:shakehead.
It's a Don Cherry NHL.

Can't wait till that changes.

Lots of KKK lovers out there that still can't admit that they think Subban is too NBA or too NFL for the NHL.

p.s.: give it to Karlsson again since he's got blue eyes and blonde hair. Forget that he may have black roots 1000-2000-3000yrs ago!!

Cmon, I'm sure subconsciously race plays a role in many peoples view point whether they want to or believe they do, but to call the NHL the KKK league is a stretch.

There are a few reason why PK is hated.
1. He's a Hab (Biggest Reason)
2. Young guy with swag
3. Seems cocky for a young guy
4. Agitates other teams top players (bit of a troll)
5. Coaches/management even seemed to suggest PK had to mature and develop as a person (crock of ****). If management of this young man feels this way, of course it will influence the sheep
6. The media has bought into it after cherry-like rants (management did nothing to minimize the impact imo)
7. He's black ( the least influential part), but it would take complete ignorance to pretend racism isn't alive and well, but I don't agree that it is anywhere near the top of the list of why PK is a polarizing figure.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $2,300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00