News Article: PK Subban a finalist for the Norris

Price My Man Crush

Aug 27, 2011
Montréal
PKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK, dats my boy :cry:
Even if he had a great season, I'm not sure he's gonna win it with the season Suter had in Minnesota.

Maybe in 3-4 years, we'll see.

Coldplay

Courage
Aug 21, 2008
Montréal
Erik Karlsson will still win it.

Dion Phaneuf will win it.

PKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK, dats my boy :cry:
Even if he had a great season, I'm not sure he's gonna win it with the season Suter had in Minnesota.

Maybe in 3-4 years, we'll see.

Suter is the only finalist whose team has worse puck-posession metrics when he's on the ice versus when he's off it, so I'm not sure he's a slam dunk. But then again, not like advanced statistics are a factor in this voting process, or any pro sports journalist voting process (see: Trout, Mike & Cabrera, Miguel for AL MVP last year in baseball).

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
I think PK finishes third here. Isn't as recognized yet. The other two both deserve it, and PK will win it one day soon.

Subban deserves it more than both. This is my horribly biased opinion, but I don't see how Letang deserves it more. He's mediocre defensively and his offensive output wasn't that much better.

And when it comes to Suter...put it this way, the Wild had better possession metrics with him off the ice than on it. And even if you want to blame that on how difficult his job was, previously Subban and other Habs defenders were allegedly disqualified for carrying a defense on a mediocre or bad team. The Wild barely deserves to be in the playoffs.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Letang is probably going to win it but I feel like if Letang had the season Subban had and vice versa, Letang would still win it. Everybody hates Subban :(
While Letang is a good Dman I think his numbers get inflated because of the teammates surrounding him. I hope the writers take that into consideration because the dislike for PK is pretty strong although unwarranted.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
While Letang is a good Dman I think his numbers get inflated because of the teammates surrounding him. I hope the writers take that into consideration because the dislike for PK is pretty strong although unwarranted.

Sadly I think voters will do anything it takes to downplay how good Subban was this year. Playing with Markov on the power play will hurt him, while Letang playing with Crosby and Malkin won't be factored in.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
I think Suter is a worthy winner. I wouldn't mind seeing him take it over Subban. But Letang... worthy finalist, but I wouldn't be quite so mollified if he won it, I tend to find him pretty weak on his D - agile and still overall a contributor defensively with his stick and puck movement, at times, but still not really the kind of D I like to see get the Norris.

Subban with a full season of 1st-pairing utilization would have won this walking away, strange to say. The contract impasse is one thing, but the next month where he was 3rd-pairing with Bouillon, and Diaz sometimes got the PP, well that to me seals the deal on Subban not being able to win the award. And that's totally on management/coaching staff, not on the player. Not a criticism of management/coaching staff either, just cool that we have a player who is that good for a change.
:handclap:

thom

Mar 6, 2012
The question now is how much will be asking for next contract ?Will he break the bank.The hab's gm made a steal in short contract but what now?

void

Jan 5, 2006
Suter will win it but it's ok! Subban is incredible and I'm proud to have him our team.

1ibi2s.gif

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Therrien should take some cues from Paul MacLean on how he utilizes Erik Karlsson...

This isn't another EK vs PK debate...

But I love the way they use EK in Ottawa, yes he'll sometimes make bad decisions with the puck but the good far outweighs the bad and they play him a ton because the more he plays, the better he is and the better chance they have of winning

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
As expected. If he does not win it this year he will at some point. He is a truly spectacular player to watch.

I have a feeling with all the EK backlash about him not being good "defensively" blah blah blah, that Letang and Subban will lose to Suter. A truer style of defenceman in the eyes of the writers even though I think that Subban should win it this year. I think he is a major dick but he is damn good. Letang's PP numbers being unspectacular may lead him to winning as I think the writers will try and get a more prototypical winner this year. Whatever that means!

thewall

Jul 9, 2010
I think he'll be the dark horse to win it.. but great job PK for your nomination!

walsy37

Jul 12, 2006
Letang and Subban will split the East vote, Suter will get the whole West vote, Suter wins.

Just a questions, has there ever been a black person trophy winner in the NHL? If not, what a giant step in growing the game.

Strik_IX

No excuses!
Jun 11, 2007
Montréal
Letang and Subban will split the East vote, Suter will get the whole West vote, Suter wins.

Just a questions, has there ever been a black person trophy winner in the NHL? If not, what a giant step in growing the game.

I'm pretty sure Grant Fuhr won the Vezina.

DicAnns

Mar 7, 2006
Montreal
www.canadiens.com

I'm pretty sure Grant Fuhr won the Vezina.

Iginla is another easy one...

Ray Emery also won the Jennings this year, but who cares about the Jennings?

Slew Foots

Everything is OK
Sep 6, 2006
I think he'll be the dark horse to win it.. but great job PK for your nomination!

Too bad his next contract is really going to be a white elephant for Bergevin ;)

Congrats to PK for being a Norris finalist - well deserved! I hope he wins it this year!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad