Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Salary Cap Thread: Kane?!? The only Kane I want is the candy

Status
Not open for further replies.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Malkin will always be a joy to watch, but yeah, Zucker will be a source of frustration. No avoiding that

Zucker played the "right way" with Geno for the 4 or so games last year when Geno came back. He just floated around near the net and got in the way. As soon as Geno went back out, he stopped, and has never again consistently done this. Hopefully he can do that again.

This recent stretch of him trying to lay hits in lieu of scoring was a terrible idea, and has probably resulted in him hurting himself trying to make a hit ala Beau Bennett.

The coaches need to show Zucker tape of Fedotenko and Talbot and tell him just to skate slow figure 8's near the net and try to be in the way. Full stop.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Maybe?:

Clinical Severity of COVID-19 Patients Admitted to Hospitals in Gauteng, South Africa During the Omicron-Dominant Fourth Wave by Waasila Jassat, Salim Abdool Karim, Caroline Mudara, Richard Welch, Lovelyn Ozougwu, Michelle Groome, Nevashan Govender, Anne von Gottberg, Nicole Wolter, DATCOV Author Group, Lucille Blumberg, Cheryl Cohen :: SSRN

"TL;DR, we don’t know yet but tentative evidence suggests that omicron might be milder — but not all that much milder.

Overall, there’s a general sense that omicron might be about 25-50% milder (less likely to cause severe disease).

That means that older, unvaccinated people are still seriously at risk. It’s good for young, healthy people, but the severity is so much worse in old people, or those with immune problems etc, that a mere 25% reduction in risk isn’t going to make a huge difference. Even a 50% reduction on severity - which would be great — will see millions of hospitalizations as omicron re-infects the vulnerable elderly."

"And it can be worse even if Omicron causes severe illness a lower percentage of the time if Omicron infects more people. Let's say that Delta causes severe illness in 40 of every 100 people it infects. (I'm making up numbers here because I don't know the exact numbers and the exact numbers aren't the point. So don't quote these numbers.) Now let's say Omicron causes severe illness in 30 of every 100 people it infects. That's a 25% reduction. However, if Omicron infects twice as many people then, it will inflict severe illness on more people than Delta did. This will cause more strain on our hospitals which, in turn, will reduce hospital capacity (via occupied beds and via hospital workers getting sick)."

(taken from )

I meant in relation to this league and it's long term outlook, which consist of younger, strong men. Out of all the positive cases the NHL is dealing with in the last 3 weeks or so, how many players have severe symptoms that will cause problems for even a few weeks after the worst of it? Omicron is referred to as mild because people aren't often dealing with respiratory or heart issues, which was the #1 killer with Delta. You get slammed with a fever maybe but you get through it. 3 of my friends just went through this.

So if Omicron becomes the dominant strain and sweeps through the vast majority of the league (which looks likely) then over time the league should build a herd immunity and be able to cope better.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I meant in relation to this league and it's long term outlook, which consist of younger, strong men. Out of all the positive cases the NHL is dealing with in the last 3 weeks or so, how many players have severe symptoms that will cause problems for even a few weeks after the worst of it? Omicron is referred to as mild because people aren't often dealing with respiratory or heart issues, which was the #1 killer with Delta. You get slammed with a fever maybe but you get through it. 3 of my friends just went through this.

So if Omicron becomes the dominant strain and sweeps through the vast majority of the league (which looks likely) then over time the league should build a herd immunity and be able to cope better.

Yeah, the vast majority of players should be fine. But what about the staff and arena workers?

And anyway, I think we're OT so this'll be my last post on it. The Mods have dealt with this enough. :laugh:

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
At worst it will be a slightly reduced number of games by the end.
Can't see them having a massive pause again like 2 years ago. Omicron is weak. It's all mild symptoms. The recently reduced quarantine period will improve player availability dramatically. The players will build an immunity to this strain.

The only uncertainty I see from this point are when games in Canada will be played, and how much they'll have to push back the playoffs to make room for rescheduled games. Other than that we're probably fine, unless some freak new strain shows up :laugh:

I dunno if immunity to the strains is a thing. Short term perhaps but hasn't Kuznetsov gotten covid like 3 times? Lol. What a mess.

I'll keep watching and we'll see how things progress. I hope like hell 2022 is the last year of seriously dealing with covid, but I'm not sure it will be.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
I dunno if immunity to the strains is a thing. Short term perhaps but hasn't Kuznetsov gotten covid like 3 times? Lol. What a mess.

I'll keep watching and we'll see how things progress. I hope like hell 2022 is the last year of seriously dealing with covid, but I'm not sure it will be.
Definitely a thing. Notice how all 8 cases we have now are players who never tested positive before, despite us having an outbreak earlier in the year. It's true there's a few players around the league who got it multiple times, but they are few and far between. Plus the few guys who are doubling up recently had Delta before, not Omicron.

The players who have not tested positive to this point are:
Malkin, McGinn, Rust, Heinen, DOC, DeSmith, Zucker, Friedman, Riikola, Lafferty

That's it. I think you'll find that cases we have between now and the end of the year will mostly be these guys. We'll see.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Definitely a thing. Notice how all 8 cases we have now are players who never tested positive before, despite us having an outbreak earlier in the year. It's true there's a few players around the league who got it multiple times, but they are few and far between. Plus the few guys who are doubling up recently had Delta before, not Omicron.

That's it. I think you'll find that cases we have between now and the end of the year will mostly be these guys. We'll see.

Yep, most likely everyone will contract it. Geno will contract COVID only after he plays about 5-10 games and starts to produce.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Yep I could definitely see that :laugh:

If everyone will get it anyway then better sooner than later though. During playoffs is worst case scenario.

you do know that there’s not immunity for that long after you catch it, right? The common cold for example, your immunity lasts only 4 months and then you can get another cold….so it is likely for this coronavirus…so Geno could get it in January and then catch it again in April or May just as the POs are ramping up lol…

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside

That doesn't sound right but I don't know enough about herd immunity to dispute it.

Guess I was wrong about not posting any more.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
you do know that there’s not immunity for that long after you catch it, right? The common cold for example, your immunity lasts only 4 months and then you can get another cold….so it is likely for this coronavirus…so Geno could get it in January and then catch it again in April or May just as the POs are ramping up lol…
Didn't know that specific period. Bummer.
Andy99, the reaper of joy :laugh:

Reactions: Andy99

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012

Nah. After Geno gets Omicron, he'll be patient zero for the Omega variant, which will put him, the team, and the league out for the rest of the season. You're getting a little too optimistic in your old age.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Yep I could definitely see that :laugh:

If everyone will get it anyway then better sooner than later though. During playoffs is worst case scenario.

Obviously a joke but can he just get it now. You know it's gonna happen when he and kap start to go off. Then Geno gets covid and Kap gets injured

Last edited:

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I guess the Metro teams are back to winning every game…sigh…the only team that lost in the past two days has been the Rangers…Pens better come out swinging Sunday…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca