Series Talk: Pittsburgh Penguins take on the Philadelphia Flyers in Round 1 (Pens win series 4-2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Pretty sure both Horny and Geno will play tomorrow. I don't think Horny's upper body injury will affect his game that much(plus he got a bit of a rest). But Geno's lower body injury probably will have an noticible affect on him. Add hurting Kess in the mix and things don't look that good...
Sullivan will need a serious thinkiring on line combos.

Lineup with no Geno/or hurting Geno and Kessel may be enough to beat the Flyers, but thinks don't look good in perspective beyond that.

I bet Horny plays yesterday if the series wasn't 3-1.

EliteGoaltending

Jan 7, 2016
I don’t know what you are talking about?

He was putting together a PPG streak of six games when he went down in the regular season.

He’s basically had a game changing assists or goal in three of five games in this series. He set up Rust last game for the tying goal with some clever interference on Haag?
Out of my head, I only can think about his big contribution - a PP goal assisted by Kessel (in Game 3? I think). I noticed that you a a prominent Letang/Brassard fan. No wonder every point by him is game changing for you.

To add, I don't think he's been bad or something, he's been fine. But somehow I expect more from him, because thus far he hasn't been that much better than Sheahan.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Out of my head, I only can think about his big contribution - a PP goal assisted by Kessel (in Game 3? I think). I noticed that you a a prominent Letang/Brassard fan. No wonder every point by him is game changing for you.

To add, I don't think he's been bad or something, he's been fine. But somehow I exept more from him, because thus far he hasn't been that much better than Sheahan.

He set up the go ahead PP goal in Game 1.

He’s been much better than Sheahan offensively, and he wasn’t brought into be a defensive player.

3 pts in 5 games is solid production from a 3C I dunno.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
He set up the go ahead PP goal in Game 1.

He’s been much better than Sheahan offensively, and he wasn’t brought into be a defensive player.

3 pts in 5 games is solid production from a 3C I dunno.

Especially when you consider his linemates haven't exactly been lighting it up.

Brassard's not a guy who can rack up points with two stiffs next to him like Sid and Geno can. He's a guy who can create chances for his linemates, but needs them to actually take advantage of them. IMO, as good as they've played in spurts individually, I don't think Rust or Sheary have gotten into position to receive passes from Brassard in dangerous areas.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Especially when you consider his linemates haven't exactly been lighting it up.

Brassard's not a guy who can rack up points with two stiffs next to him like Sid and Geno can. He's a guy who can create chances for his linemates, but needs them to actually take advantage of them. IMO, as good as they've played in spurts individually, I don't think Rust or Sheary have gotten into position to receive passes from Brassard in dangerous areas.

And we get him for a full year next year at less than Bonino.

LOL.

Reactions: ncm7772

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
The Pens have outplayed the Flyers in every game this series.

They are going to outplay the Flyers tomorrow.

The game comes down to Murray.

Which Murray is going to show up tomorrow will determine the result.

What cheesedanish said

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I don't fully agree that tomorrow comes down to Murray. In both losses, the Pens' offense was nowhere to be found (on the score sheet -- they generated shots though).

That's why I have a difficult time faulting Murray for either loss. The Pens scored 1 goal in Game 2 and 2 goals in Game 5. Murray would have had to get a shutout in Game 2 and allowed 1 or less in Game 5 for the Pens to have won.

This team should be able to still win games when Murray lets in more than 1 goal. It shouldn't require Murray to be the first star in order to win games.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
If Hornqvist is back, I'm confident we'll win because our power play is literally twice as potent with him as opposed to without (26% with, 13% without).

If he's out, it's real sketch.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Isn't MM 9-1 after a playoff loss?

10-1
GAA: 1.6 goals
SV%: .938

EDIT: One of the games he didn’t start but so it’s really 9-1. I included it as part of the stats though as he played 47 mins. Fleury gave up 4 in the first 13 mins, Murray gave up 1 for the rest of the game.

Last edited:
Reactions: ColePens

Fordy

May 28, 2008
every game can come down to murray because he gets 2-3 shutouts a series at this point. i hate the implication that he would falter or something

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Useless information for the day :laugh:

Matt Murray playoff stats by round:

R1 - Wins 75%, GAA 1.5, SV% .943
R2 - Wins 67%, GAA 2.5, SV% .925
R3 - Wins 70%, GAA 1.9, SV% .924
R4 - Wins 67%, GAA 1.9, SV% .920

EliteGoaltending

Jan 7, 2016
Only now catched up to the game. I guess I shouldn't trust some narratives in post-game threads before watching it myself.

I thought Pens played pretty well and if only Sheary cleared the puck in the last minute, game would go to OT. That shorthanded goal was very bad to give up tho.
To my surprise, I thought all lines looked well. Geno (even after an injury) and Kessel haven't looked half bad like some posters insisted in post-game thread. That line was creating offense throught all game, but they need to finish. I think Geno has been playing great all series long(exept game 4 maybe), but he and his linemates (and defensman that getting chances on the ice with them) lacking finishing. And that's a concern.

Sheary-Rust were more noticeble this game in terms of creating offense, Guentzel and Crosby -same level, creating and finishing.
PP created lots of chances as well, need finish.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Pens are a grinding team that makes them tough to beat in 7. But they really came out for game 5 with little sense of urgency and that called for the start to come hard. It is a mindset that has worked so that's OK until it doesn't. But I sense if the Flyers had a solid goaltender, the Flyers may have made this series a lot closer than the talent level should have. When you have that kind of talent, you shouldn't need a back to the wall game to get going. It is unthinkable the Pens lose 3 in a row. It is also unthinkable the flyers win this series. But after two cups, it may be a lesson that reminds the roster that anything is still possible, good and bad.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Useless information for the day :laugh:

Matt Murray playoff stats by round:

R1 - Wins 75%, GAA 1.5, SV% .943
R2 - Wins 67%, GAA 2.5, SV% .925
R3 - Wins 70%, GAA 1.9, SV% .924
R4 - Wins 67%, GAA 1.9, SV% .920
To this point in his young career and as we both alluded to, it's very likely he'll give us a big performance in south philly tomorrow.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Pens are a grinding team that makes them tough to beat in 7. But they really came out for game 5 with little sense of urgency and that called for the start to come hard. It is a mindset that has worked so that's OK until it doesn't. But I sense if the Flyers had a solid goaltender, the Flyers may have made this series a lot closer than the talent level should have. When you have that kind of talent, you shouldn't need a back to the wall game to get going. It is unthinkable the Pens lose 3 in a row. It is also unthinkable the flyers win this series. But after two cups, it may be a lesson that reminds the roster that anything is still possible, good and bad.
Pens figured it would be an easy game and Flyers would roll over. Think again, they wont roll over in game 6. I predicted Pens in 6 anyway, hope it happens. They needed that loss to know closing out any team is not "easy", but you'd think they would know this for the most experienced postseason team in the NHL. Ohwell, shit happens just don't let it happen again, play like you're down 3-0 in the series and you got nothing to lose so give them all they can handle.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Pens figured it would be an easy game and Flyers would roll over. Think again, they wont roll over in game 6. I predicted Pens in 6 anyway, hope it happens. They needed that loss to know closing out any team is not "easy", but you'd think they would know this for the most experienced postseason team in the NHL. Ohwell, **** happens just don't let it happen again, play like you're down 3-0 in the series and you got nothing to lose so give them all they can handle.

Pens lacked a sense of urgency in every aspect of the game last night. That's what it boils down to. PP, play in their own zone, driving to the net and finishing in the offensive zone, everything lacked a sense of urgency.

I'd like to see a bit more fight in these guys when they're struggling to score. I'd like to see them show they can win these close games when not every shot on goal results in a goal.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Only now catched up to the game. I guess I shouldn't trust some narratives in post-game threads before watching it myself.

I thought Pens played pretty well and if only Sheary cleared the puck in the last minute, game would go to OT. That shorthanded goal was very bad to give up tho.
To my surprise, I thought all lines looked well. Geno (even after an injury) and Kessel haven't looked half bad like some posters insisted in post-game thread. That line was creating offense throught all game, but they need to finish. I think Geno has been playing great all series long(exept game 4 maybe), but he and his linemates (and defensman that getting chances on the ice with them) lacking finishing. And that's a concern.

Sheary-Rust were more noticeble this game in terms of creating offense, Guentzel and Crosby -same level, creating and finishing.

Yes. The teams traded chances, but the Pens owned positionally. The Flyers capitalized on mistakes, and that's what teams need to do to beat the Pens.

Reactions: EliteGoaltending

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

Sometimes it's way better to watch a game without any outside interference or narrative. I think you are 100% correct. I think we had 2 stars who had some hiccups (like all stars do) and it cost us. Mur should have done better w/ G2. Letang/Kessel needed to be better altgoether. But outside of that, I felt we were better. Period. And we weren't even near our best.

The only thing i'll caution is that Philly is a streaky team that relies on confidence. But if any team can negate that confidence, it's us. THey just need to show up and be themselves.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Cullen is done, should have stayed with us buddy.
I guess spending the next 40 winters in Minnesota was super important to the wife, because one more year in Pittsburgh then 39 winters in Minnesota seems like not quite enough winter in Minnesota.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Except, that Brassard hasn't showed/contributed that much in his time here yet.

To think about it, he wasn't a big contributor with Ottawa either and with NYR he was mostly noticeble on PP, at least for me. I think he's a bit overrated. Not a bad player by any mean, but not as great as some make him out to be.

I think he needs PP1 time and ideal set of linemates to get maximum value out of him. But then, who you take away from the first power play when everyone is healthy...

I hope he'll break trough at some point for us tho.
man, I am with you, on this overrated part, hope I am wrong, but he makes play here or ther but C2 should be a force....or we may be spoiled here

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
And speaking of Mur. I cannot believe the idiotic posts last night as I was catching up. Murray has been amazing. Sure.. goal 2 was partially his fault but look around the playoffs - Rinne, Rask, Holtby, Bob, you name it. All of them have given up at least 1 like that if not way more.

Where is this idea that goalies are infallible? Give me a break with that bullshit. Now he if's doing it on a consistent basis, then we are worried. But come on.

Reactions: ncm7772 and vodeni
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad