Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap: Time is Relevant and Empty Arenas are Wormholes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I'm kind of at that point also. We should also be really set in that regard

7 Forwards: Crosby, Malkin, Guentzel, Zucker, Rust, Tanev, Hornqvist. The real issue is that we have to keep Hornqvist protected because he has a NTC. Ideally we would rather keep McCann or Blueger

3 Defense: Letang, Dumoulin, Pettersson. Marino won't count.

1 Goalie: Jarry

So we would lose McCann or Blueger, I'd imagine.

No idea why we would protect Tanev over McCann or Teddy if they are on the team still.

I also think the exercise is difficult because JR likely makes some major moves to our roster over the summer and next given Murray, Bjugstad and JJ are likely either moved out.

Reactions: WheresRamziAbid

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Does it? I'm looking at Rust17's post and it look damn tight.

The Penguins are right at the cap with signing Murray for $5 million, McCann and Jarry for $2.5 million and Lafferty and a 14th forward for $800k. This results in Trotman being your #7 and JJ-Ruhwedel being the #6, which sucks but is possible.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Murray on a RFA contract at 5m I can buy. Feel like that's a really difficult one to place. Ditto Jarry at 2.5m. I can buy both being higher too, but I don't know what the hell's going on.

McCann at 2.5m is a big favour for him though. I don't see why he'd have to take less than Kapanen for RFA years if he didn't want to.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Murray on a RFA contract at 5m I can buy. Feel like that's a really difficult one to place. Ditto Jarry at 2.5m. I can buy both being higher too, but I don't know what the hell's going on.

McCann at 2.5m is a big favour for him though. I don't see why he'd have to take less than Kapanen for RFA years if he didn't want to.

I really don't see how Murray is a 5m dollar goalie despite his year this year and that is without factoring in what happens from here.

That is what Andersen got 4 years ago. Elvis just got 4 mil. I don't see Murray getting under 6.

Reactions: EightyOne

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I really don't see how Murray is a 5m dollar goalie despite his year this year and that is without factoring in what happens from here.

That is what Andersen got 4 years ago. Elvis just got 4 mil. I don't see Murray getting under 6.

Andersen sold a lot of UFA years. Elvis sold one although his history is weird. A one year contract for Murray will be RFA only.

Honestly, I don't know what Murray's going to get, particularly on a 1 year deal. There's not many comparables for his success and inconsistency.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Do you really think Murray will be signed at 5?

If it's only on a 1 year deal, yeah I do. I think you may even be able to get him for less, I don't think he has a particularly strong arbitration case unless he kicks ass in the playoffs.

I think the McCann contract would be a similar situation to the Pettersson contract. It would be a "take 1 year at less and we'll make it up to you next year" type of situation. I could see the Penguins and McCann agreeing to the same deal that Rust got (4 years at $3.5 million), but then breaking it up into a 1 year, $2.5 million AAV deal and a 3 year, $3.833 million AAV deal.

Jarry for 1 year at $2.5 million falls between what Korpisalo got and what Merzlikins got, because Korpisalo's first year is at $2.2 million and Merzlikins' first year is at $3 million. If you go 2 years, Jarry will go higher, but I think you can get him for that price on a 1 year deal.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I
I think the McCann contract would be a similar situation to the Pettersson contract. It would be a "take 1 year at less and we'll make it up to you next year" type of situation. I could see the Penguins and McCann agreeing to the same deal that Rust got (4 years at $3.5 million), but then breaking it up into a 1 year, $2.5 million AAV deal and a 3 year, $3.833 million AAV deal.

Jarry for 1 year at $2.5 million falls between what Korpisalo got and what Merzlikins got, because Korpisalo's first year is at $2.2 million and Merzlikins' first year is at $3 million. If you go 2 years, Jarry will go higher, but I think you can get him for that price on a 1 year deal.

Welp, the McCann thing might happen, but I don't like putting too many bets on something happening that involves a lot of player good will. And while it did happen with Pettersson, there's one big difference in that Pettersson didn't have arbitration rights and McCann does.

Not bad logic on Jarry though. Not sure two years makes it much higher either as he's got another RFA year.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
If it's only on a 1 year deal, yeah I do. I think you may even be able to get him for less, I don't think he has a particularly strong arbitration case unless he kicks ass in the playoffs.

I think he has a pretty strong arbitration case to make at minimum 5.5-6. But I guess when you look at his overall numbers he is one of the worst playoff goalies in the last three years and pretty middling in the regular season.

Last edited:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
This is workable. It'd be short-term for both, but I don't think either is in a position to demand more than a short-term deal at this point.

It's not just about what they can demand though, it's about what we want, and I'm not sure it should be what we want. A one year deal for Murray in particular sacrifices all his asset value under most scenarios while still taking up enough cap that it's complicated whether he'd provide enough added value over spending the money elsewhere and rolling with Jarry/DeSmith/Whoever.

Giskard

Jun 20, 2008
Alps
It's not just about what they can demand though, it's about what we want, and I'm not sure it should be what we want. A one year deal for Murray in particular sacrifices all his asset value under most scenarios while still taking up enough cap that it's complicated whether he'd provide enough added value over spending the money elsewhere and rolling with Jarry/DeSmith/Whoever.
If GMJR can re-sign both, even for a 1 year deal, he should go for it, having 2 great goalies for another year is better then risk lose Murray for nothing to UFA, we can't afford to pick the wrong goalie and tank the last years of this Penguins.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
If GMJR can re-sign both, even for a 1 year deal, he should go for it, having 2 great goalies for another year is better then risk lose Murray for nothing to UFA, we can't afford to pick the wrong goalie and tank the last years of this Penguins.

We're not risking losing Murray for nothing in UFA this year. We're only risking that if we sign him to a 1 year deal at the end of this year.

And while I think it's a good point that we don't want to pick the wrong goalie, pushing the decision a year back means we mightn't get to pick anyway because if Murray does well, can we afford to keep him as a UFA?

Plus, as I kinda mentioned, is two great goalies better than a great goalie, a good backup, and a stronger blue line?

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I suspect it'll be a 1-2 year deal for Murray and a 2-3 year deal for Jarry. It is my suspicion that DeSmith gets traded and Tokaraski signs a two-way deal.

* IF Murray's ask is reasonable . . . on a 2-3 year deal would involve giving up 1-2 years of free agency, that's less likely rather than more likely.

Reactions: Andy99

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
We're not risking losing Murray for nothing in UFA this year. We're only risking that if we sign him to a 1 year deal at the end of this year.

And while I think it's a good point that we don't want to pick the wrong goalie, pushing the decision a year back means we mightn't get to pick anyway because if Murray does well, can we afford to keep him as a UFA?

Plus, as I kinda mentioned, is two great goalies better than a great goalie, a good backup, and a stronger blue line?

Pushing the decision back a year is fine with me. I like DeSmith, but Jarry's sample size is small enough and Murray was great enough at his best to make me want to be sure we make the right decision.

If Murray definitively proves he's the guy, then yeah, we find a way to re-sign him. There's enough fat on this roster to trim. That, and I think 2 good young goalies for another year is likely better than whatever addition we could make on the blueline with that money.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
* IF Murray's ask is reasonable . . . on a 2-3 year deal would involve giving up 1-2 years of free agency, that's less likely rather than more likely.

Murray might well sign a one year deal as a RFA, but yeah, no way does he sign a second or third year without substantial compensation...I can see that JR might want that extra year to expose him to Seattle in the worst case, but it’s going to cost him...

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Pushing the decision back a year is fine with me. I like DeSmith, but Jarry's sample size is small enough and Murray was great enough at his best to make me want to be sure we make the right decision.

If Murray definitively proves he's the guy, then yeah, we find a way to re-sign him. There's enough fat on this roster to trim. That, and I think 2 good young goalies for another year is likely better than whatever addition we could make on the blueline with that money.

The bolded feels a little overconfident to me given we've already seen Rutherford fail to get him signed once when he wanted to (the extension that was meant to happen last summer).

Not sure I'd agree with there being that much roster fat either. There's only two players on the team that I see who are significantly paid and who could be replaced internally/by a non-major player acquisition in JJ and Bjugstad. Likelihood is one of them is sacrificed this year to pay the RFAs (particularly if keeping Murray) and the other is gone the next to pay for Marino. Who else do you think is fat?

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
The bolded feels a little overconfident to me given we've already seen Rutherford fail to get him signed once when he wanted to (the extension that was meant to happen last summer).

Not sure I'd agree with there being that much roster fat either. There's only two players on the team that I see who are significantly paid and who could be replaced internally/by a non-major player acquisition in JJ and Bjugstad. Likelihood is one of them is sacrificed this year to pay the RFAs (particularly if keeping Murray) and the other is gone the next to pay for Marino. Who else do you think is fat?

But if he proves he's definitively better than Jarry, then that's what we have to do. You don't run with the inferior goalie.

"Roster fat" is too strong a phrase, you're right. JJ and Bjugs have to go, obviously. After that, the next logical choice (if it comes to that) is Hornqvist. He's hardly roster fat, but he's a misfit in our top 6 and 5.5 mil per is a hefty price for a 3rd liner.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Murray might well sign a one year deal as a RFA, but yeah, no way does he sign a second or third year without substantial compensation...I can see that JR might want that extra year to expose him to Seattle in the worst case, but it’s going to cost him...

And I can't see JR wanting to touch that kind of hit. It would cost more in terms of the cap hit on a 2-3 year deal than anything.

If the market is awful or he stands on his head in the playoffs (something that conversely could price him out), then it's a much closer call. Otherwise, I'm leaning towards JR moving him at the end of the season.

Reactions: Andy99

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
But if he proves he's definitively better than Jarry, then that's what we have to do. You don't run with the inferior goalie.

"Roster fat" is too strong a phrase, you're right. JJ and Bjugs have to go, obviously. After that, the next logical choice (if it comes to that) is Hornqvist. He's hardly roster fat, but he's a misfit in our top 6 and 5.5 mil per is a hefty price for a 3rd liner.

That's your exception, assuming Murray doesn't subsequently price himself out of Pittsburgh. In THAT case, I could see JR using Jarry to move JJ or Bjugs.

Reactions: Soggy Biscuit
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad