Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread - Yohe and Rossi lie about a self imposed ceiling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I don't want to trade Malkin or Letang. Or Guentzel. Anyone else....whatever. If the price is right, sure.

Keep in mind too...we have no first round pick next year. What if we fall on our faces and give Minnesota a lottery pick? It's unlikely to happen if we keep our core together, but if we move Malkin or Letang and then Crosby gets hurt we could have to deal with that embarrassment, and f*** all of that.
That's the price you pay when you deal a 1st rounder, though. I think it's entirely possible our pick next season is a lottery pick. This team's got a knack for showing up in the regular season though, despite injury, a la Shero/Bylsma's Penguins, so maybe not.

Either way, I'm sure it was talked about internally, and that's why we didn't get a definitive one way or another for a few days re: the pick this year.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Letang on the Leafs likely wins them a cup.

Which is why I roll my eyes so hard at the "why would the Leafs trade for Letang?" talk. Like acquiring Letang immediately takes the Leafs to cup favorites. It's not even close.

It's amazing how the main boards on this site simultaneously thinks Letang sucks and is only carried by Crosby and Malkin, but also Dumoulin is just carried by Letang and Crosby and Malkin are aging.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I'd be willing to gamble on Letang being the missing piece for the Leafs and deal him there. I highly doubt that is the case, but even if I were to hypothetically believe that to be true, trading a veteran for futures always comes with that possibility. Of course, we can't deal Letang to the Leafs for futures because they have no cap space so what type of deal are we proposing here?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Talking to the main boards about Letang for futures reminds me of how awful talking hockey on the main boards on this site is :laugh:

Like Jesus, Letang's a #1D that's elite at ES by pretty much every measurable number, but you legitimately have people saying "he wouldn't make the Leafs a contender" or offering James Neal and spare parts for him.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Leafs already have a Letang doppelgänger and he’s extremely good.

They need a Dumo type to run their second pair, but they did trade for Barrie, so who knows what they are looking for.

Their cap is really tight so, a big name would have to be moved to fit Letang.

Doesn’t make sense to me as someone who is quite familiar with the Leafs.

Who was angrier after the qualifying round, Jiggy: you or your wife?
:)

Reactions: EVGENIMERLIN

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
If you want a fun team to watch, you need puck moving defensemen. This team can not afford to lose Letang without getting at least 2 new PMD’s back there. They’re more important to a teams offense than wingers.

OswaldBates

Dec 31, 2019
The Penguins outright sucked for the last...1.5 months of the actual season and then embarrassed themselves during COVID-season. I wouldn't blame Geno or Letang at all if they asked out and would actually welcome the page-turning. Not that I think we'd be immediately better in a Geno or Letang trade - probably not - but I'm just tired of "holding on" to the vestiges of 2017 on a steady downward descent. Make real changes.

I can't believe JR is staying. No one looked at the end of his tenure in Carolina?
It might help if some of you stopped acting like 8 year old kids that didn't get what you wanted for Christmas

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Talking to the main boards about Letang for futures reminds me of how awful talking hockey on the main boards on this site is :laugh:

Like Jesus, Letang's a #1D that's elite at ES by pretty much every measurable number, but you legitimately have people saying "he wouldn't make the Leafs a contender" or offering James Neal and spare parts for him.
Mate why would you do that to yourself? Crosby could score 100 goals next year and they'd still say he's overrated and that Ovenchicken could score 200 if he had Malkin.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I'm entirely open to blowing this whole thing up, as I've said. You don't ever win a deal by moving a Letang or Geno if your goal is to still compete for a Cup in the present. You make those deals because you accept that things are flawed beyond repair (with respect to the Geno and Letang deadline in two years contract-wise), and you accept that the "right" way to go about things is to gear up to be a contender again in 3-5 years through shrewd pickups in FA/trade, while drafting and development are your true foundation builders.

Look at the Blue Jackets. They're a team of essentially no-names who play their asses off and play a fast, aggressive style. I know they've got some nice pieces like Jones and Werenski, but in the grand scheme of things, they're no Leafs, Oilers or Penguins--and I think they might be better for that.

I'm not saying to ignore big name, marquee players or anything, but that team building and roster composition go deeper than simply throwing mud at a wall over and over again to see what sticks like JR has done in recent years. This operation's been a rudderless ship since the last Cup win, with no real direction or identity in place to guide the building process. It's just been a wild assortment of moves with no real thought behind them, imo.

Reactions: ncm7772

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The Penguins outright sucked for the last...1.5 months of the actual season and then embarrassed themselves during COVID-season. I wouldn't blame Geno or Letang at all if they asked out and would actually welcome the page-turning. Not that I think we'd be immediately better in a Geno or Letang trade - probably not - but I'm just tired of "holding on" to the vestiges of 2017 on a steady downward descent. Make real changes.

I can't believe JR is staying. No one looked at the end of his tenure in Carolina?
It's a bigger shock Sullivan is staying than JR. JR has at least tried to fix his mistakes. Says a lot about him vs a guy that can't seem to understand his own mistakes in Mikey.

Being a GM is a gamble and JR tries to gamble and it pays off more than it hasn't. He should be in trouble. But for some reason people are back peddling on Sully right now.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
If you want a fun team to watch, you need puck moving defensemen. This team can not afford to lose Letang without getting at least 2 new PMD’s back there. They’re more important to a teams offense than wingers.

I'd be willing to move on from Letang, Schultz and Johnson, bring in three SMARTER defensemen (1 to QB the PP, 1 to be a stabilizer and 1 veteran for depth).

Closing the gap between the No. 1 guy and the No. 6 guy would be great. Having six defensemen with hockey sense would be great, too.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

I don't know about needing at least 2 PMDs back. If you get Petry for Letang, I think your puck moving needs are pretty well satisfied.

The reasons that they shouldn't trade Letang are mostly they wouldn't get what they needed to justify moving him. Like sure, if you could get something like Kapanen and Petry for Letang (as in young top-9 RW with top-6 potential and a replacement #3 PMD), you can do it. But I don't really see many teams offering that. Montreal can do that, it would be Domi and Petry for Letang and something else.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'd be willing to move on from Letang, Schultz and Johnson, bring in three SMARTER defensemen (1 to QB the PP, 1 to be a stabilizer and 1 veteran for depth).

Closing the gap between the No. 1 guy and the No. 6 guy would be great. Having six defensemen with hockey sense would be great, too.

Who are these defensemen, though? Easier said than done.

Lust for Life

Jun 30, 2018
If Letang were of interest to Toronto, wouldn't a guy like Nylander have to be included from their part just to make the cap work? I'm no expert on their situation but I think they need to shed cap, not add? And a deal like that opens up a hole for them on FW and a hole on D for Pittsburgh... I don't know, is there a fit? You could add Murray and Andersen, but I don't know if that's enough since Murray probably gets north of $5M anyway

OswaldBates

Dec 31, 2019
I'm entirely open to blowing this whole thing up, as I've said. You don't ever win a deal by moving a Letang or Geno if your goal is to still compete for a Cup in the present. You make those deals because you accept that things are flawed beyond repair (with respect to the Geno and Letang deadline in two years contract-wise), and you accept that the "right" way to go about things is to gear up to be a contender again in 3-5 years through shrewd pickups in FA/trade, while drafting and development are your true foundation builders.

Look at the Blue Jackets. They're a team of essentially no-names who play their asses off and play a fast, aggressive style. I know they've got some nice pieces like Jones and Werenski, but in the grand scheme of things, they're no Leafs, Oilers or Penguins--and I think they might be better for that.

I'm not saying to ignore big name, marquee players or anything, but that team building and roster composition go deeper than simply throwing mud at a wall over and over again to see what sticks like JR has done in recent years. This operation's been a rudderless ship since the last Cup win, with no real direction or identity in place to guide the building process. It's just been a wild assortment of moves with no real thought behind them, imo.
well Thankfully you are not involved at all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad