Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread - Yohe and Rossi lie about a self imposed ceiling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Y'all continue on here.

Domi is an interesting player, and Rust is a prime target as a guy to move for a retool. But not sure how moving Rust's contract out for likely a more expensive one in Domi jives with the news of internal cap.

If Rutherford wants to put a competitive team out there and restructure the cap with 10 mill lower that means he needs to offload guys like Johnson, Hörnqvist, Bjugstad and maybe even Letang with little or no salary coming back.

Not sure how he will pull of this mission impossible. But this off-season will be the most interesting in years for all the boards "trade guys" since judging by comments every name but Crosby and Malkin could be traded.

Zucker and Tanev are too recent acquisitions and didn't win anything with Pens, so doubt Rutherford is looking to move them.

So listening to 31 thoughts on us...

- Friedman heard the rumour on the assistants going on Sunday but couldn't get it strong enough to run
- Compares it with Wilson and Babcock getting assistants shortly before getting fired and says deffo on notice
- Wonders if Bordreau mightn't become a highly paid assistant if he's not a HC
- Says that Rutherford might say the three aren't getting moved but that if he thought he was a dman away, he'd call on Letang, and he'd call on Malkin as well, and that the Penguins might be hoping someone makes an offer they can't refuse
- Thinks the Leafs should call on Letang - he talks highly of Letang's competitiveness
- Says he'd try changing Rutherford's mind on Malkin if he was Montreal
- They say that after the first 2 shifts, they thought Malkin was going to have 25 points and there'd be a sweep
- Shocked by Game 4; thought they didn't care
- Can't think of a team that's as skillful as the Penguins that needs to work as hard to win - it's either foot on the pedal and brilliant, or doesn't work and all falls apart
- His early bet on Domi - I don't hear Friedman say Rutherford's pursuit will be revisited in the summer - I didn't hear anything that made me think it was anything other than speculation, as obviously everything he said here was

Domi's been shit. But he's an intriguing buy low target. If we're swapping Rust with him, I want something else.

Assists are as good as goals.

Agreed that Letang would be a hell of a pickup for Toronto.

And any team in need of a 1C should be offering up the cupboard for 71.

Centres with three consecutive 40+ seasons, one of which was 70+, are rarely buy low targets.

That's still 1.5-2.5m extra slapped onto a team that's already having to lose about 8m more than expected from the cap. That's going to be hard.

Nevermind that I think switching one of the LWs to RW, switching a guy who's only thrived at C to W, and ignoring the bottom 6 and praying we don't have to find out what happens when the top 6 breaks down again and we need some goals is a lot of risks. That bit's doable. Just quite likely not to work.

Of course Sportsnet takes what JR said about Malkin and Letang and somehow makes it about Montreal and Toronto.

Sid & Geno being at half a point per, I mean sure that’s bad based on what they are capable of, but for me, seeing the Islanders series and the Habs series, they can only do so much when they’re “sticking to their game” and the other team is 100% prepared and planning for “their game” and adjusts while you’re trying to ram a square peg in a pyramid hole.

They were by no means, stalwarts in both runs, but I think when you are trying to do as much as you can and the game plan is to just stick to what we normally do while across the rink you see a team that keeps adjusting to your team and the lines and match ups, it has to be frustrating.

Every time Sid or Geno popped over the boards, so did Weber and Petry and their units and our coach had literally no game plan around that, no way to split those lines up to make it harder, literally just played stubborn ignorance. LITERALLY what Bylsma did vs the Islanders and then the Senators and finally the Bruins and got owned, that one year.

:laugh:

True.

Montreal would have to be pretty dumb to think they're now ready and it's time to get a great 1C and go. Toronto and Letang though... if they could afford it, it would make sense. For them at least.

His name gets brought up every year as a possible trade candidate because of JR’s ties to his family...lol

Friedman is as much of a Leafs/Canadian Sports media homer as the rest of those guys, he’s hit or miss for me at times, I recall him getting a ton of crap for the Malkin rumours last year or the year before, then back peddled super hard about it.

I still think the correct course of action is to move Malkin to wing and find a 2c and then shift the depth down a little based on that. It frees up Malkin to be a more effective offensive weapon, sure he might prefer being a C, but I look at other players that get older and having young talent and its done wonders for them (namely Giroux).

I think it’s high time Guentzel has his own line.

Malkin, Crosby, Zucker
Guentzel, 2nd line C, Rust/Hornqvist
LW, C, Rust/Hornqvist
ZAR, Blueger, Tanev

I look at someone like even RNH in a deal for Murray + or someone like that. (Not RNH per se, just a solid 2nd pivot that can slot in to move Geno up to the first line, which makes it a harder line to match-up and then you have Guentzel on the 2nd line, etc).

Or you go

Malkin, Crosby, Hornqvist
Guentzel, C, Rust
LW, C, Zucker

You spread the talent out because you can and should and then find the supporting pieces there. I think its time to move on from McCann.

JR’s ties to his family? Mario has ties to the family, he’s good pals with Tie Domi, which is still weird imo, but yeah.

For off season boredoms sake...

A. What do you think Toronto gives up for Letang?

B. What would you ideally be happy with as a return?

Two things I agree with. I don't think we're making an effort to move those two, but I think the team is far more open to making a move than ever before. Even last summer when there was chatter about one of them being moved, I don't think anyone really thought much of it realistically. Now? Two embarrassing playoff bombs in a row, the core is that much older, this roster needs a bunch of work. I don't know, I don't think Geno will ever be dealt unless he makes it known that he's entirely open to it, but I don't think Letang's in that same category. Not that it'd do much to help, as removing Letang from this blueline corps is essentially calling an end to the era unless you've got something seriously significant lined up, but still.

As for the second part, he's right on the money. This is the same thing we saw for years with Shero and Bylsma. Flashy, great regular season success, always in a playoff position despite roster flaws. Immediately falls apart in absurd fashion come playoff time.

Because for all the talent and good Kris Letang does, he has largely embodied all the bad habits of our defense. Funny enough, i thought he was excellent vs Montreal. Dumo seemed to be the one caught out of position. But that has not been the case for most of his career. Letang's career is a sporadic timeline of flashes; both good and bad.

It is true he is undervalued from a cap hit perspective (although you could make a case that he loses value because hes not a PP qb like a lot of elite RHD) but if the plan is to do a mini rebuild on a budget salary, you will get there faster by trading Letang for assets now rather than waiting another year or two where age starts to decline his skills.

"I know why McCann was scratched and it wasn’t because of how he was playing."

- Bergevin (probably)

I can’t imagine a lot, they for one have to dump salary in that deal, they also have interest in Murray apparently because Dubas loves his SSMG homies, so if you consider that a pair that they want, it’s about 12-13m in cap that the Leafs need to move to make that deal worth it for them.

So maybe they say ok it’s time to move on from Tavares and make it truly Marner & Matthews’ team?
Or its a bunch of pieces?

Just a lot of cap that needs to move from one side to make it work.

Maybe his name keeps getting brought up because JR keeps showing interest in him :dunno:

Good, young player that could help an aging team now as well as into the future? Gosh, those darned retreads.

if he was all that good, that’d be fine...but he’s not...he’s mediocre...Rust is a better player

Murray to Toronto still makes no sense to me, Andersen is a damn good goalie.

If "mediocre" players can put up 70 points in a great year and 50 points in a normal year, with a majority of that being at ES, I'd love for this team to be filled with "mediocre" players.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
if he was all that good, that’d be fine...but he’s not...he’s mediocre...Rust is a better player
Yeah, Domi's a dime a dozen player. :laugh: Pittsburgh's definitely a team in position to turn their nose up at anything but perfection right now.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Just for shits and giggles, Letang and McCann for Petry and Domi probably ends up a near neutral salary swap. Just throwing that out there.

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
Gonna be big changes. There are a mythiad of reasons but a couple 1) Mario has taken less and less interest/ownership in this club, Letang has the least protection he has ever had, 2) Malkin isn't happy and wouldn't be surprised if he requests a trade or has requested a trade, 3) Murray is gone-he is sullivans guy but Jarry is jimmys guy, look to see a 2 year 4M contract for Jarry and 4) JJ aint going anywhere, no one wants him.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Buying out...

...Jack Johnson...
  1. Saves $2.083m year 1 and 2
  2. Saves $1.333m year 3
  3. Costs $917k years 4, 5, and 6
...Patric Hornqvist...
  1. Saves $3.533m years 1, 2, and 3
  2. Costs $1.767m years 4, 5, and 6
...Nick Bjugstad...
  1. Saves $3.5m year 1
  2. Costs $1.75m year 2

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Gonna be big changes. There are a mythiad of reasons but a couple 1) Mario has taken less and less interest/ownership in this club, Letang has the least protection he has ever had, 2) Malkin isn't happy and wouldn't be surprised if he requests a trade or has requested a trade, 3) Murray is gone-he is sullivans guy but Jarry is jimmys guy, look to see a 2 year 4M contract for Jarry and 4) JJ aint going anywhere, no one wants him.

Thanks dude, can't wait to hold on to my butt.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I don't dislike Petry, but I'd feel much better if we weren't trading Letang for a dude about to be 33, solid player or not.

Part of me absolutely hates the idea of moving Letang off of this blueline corps. Part of me thinks he's the only asset with a big enough impact trade-wise to kickstart this re-tooling, and with Marino's emergence, he's the most easily replaced of the big 3.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018

Nah.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

Where does Malkin want to go though...seriously?

I don't understand how he can't be happy here. He was given two excellent wings and it's not like he played bad. I think it's a 'grass is always greener'. You go to Montreal where you are the sole focus and I promise things won't be as fun or as easy as they are here. Be interesting to see just how good of buds Sid and Geno are and how much influence Sid has. To be fair, we've heard this same thing for years now...

I would imagine his target would be Florida so...back to the Hubedeau swap discussion.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I've been wondering exactly that about Geno the past couple of seasons. He's always made it known winning is his only real desire. If we continue to trend south like we have, steadily, for the past 3 years, I wouldn't be shocked at all if Geno was open to chasing one last Cup on a team closer to legit contention than we are. Not to say he's fed up with his linemates or Sully or whatever, but more generally speaking, it feels like a situation where a guy wants nothing more than to get his name on the Cup again and he recognizes just how far away this team is from that level.

dogthateats

May 26, 2011
discord.gg
I wonder if a Letang trade for futures would be similar to what NYR and Tampa did a few years ago?

McDonagh and Miller for Namestikov, a 1st, a conditional 1st, and 2 prospects.

That was more a trade that a rebuilding team makes than a retooling team does.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Where does Malkin want to go though...seriously?

I don't understand how he can't be happy here. He was given two excellent wings and it's not like he played bad. I think it's a 'grass is always greener'. You go to Montreal where you are the sole focus and I promise things won't be as fun or as easy as they are here. Be interesting to see just how good of buds Sid and Geno are and how much influence Sid has. To be fair, we've heard this same thing for years now...

I would imagine his target would be Florida so...back to the Hubedeau swap discussion.

Florida have their own internal cap. Making that line up with Geno is hard, unless we're prepared to wait until after his next bonus to reduce how much cash they need to spend, and that doesn't line up with ours.

Reactions: Andy99 and KIRK

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I've been wondering exactly that about Geno the past couple of seasons. He's always made it known winning is his only real desire. If we continue to trend south like we have, steadily, for the past 3 years, I wouldn't be shocked at all if Geno was open to chasing one last Cup on a team closer to legit contention than we are. Not to say he's fed up with his linemates or Sully or whatever, but more generally speaking, it feels like a situation where a guy wants nothing more than to get his name on the Cup again and he recognizes just how far away this team is from that level.

The Penguins outright sucked for the last...1.5 months of the actual season and then embarrassed themselves during COVID-season. I wouldn't blame Geno or Letang at all if they asked out and would actually welcome the page-turning. Not that I think we'd be immediately better in a Geno or Letang trade - probably not - but I'm just tired of "holding on" to the vestiges of 2017 on a steady downward descent. Make real changes.

I can't believe JR is staying. No one looked at the end of his tenure in Carolina?

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Leafs already have a Letang doppelgänger and he’s extremely good.

They need a Dumo type to run their second pair, but they did trade for Barrie, so who knows what they are looking for.

Their cap is really tight so, a big name would have to be moved to fit Letang.

Doesn’t make sense to me as someone who is quite familiar with the Leafs.

Reactions: KIRK

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
The Penguins outright sucked for the last...1.5 months of the actual season and then embarrassed themselves during COVID-season. I wouldn't blame Geno or Letang at all if they asked out and would actually welcome the page-turning. Not that I think we'd be immediately better in a Geno or Letang trade - probably not - but I'm just tired of "holding on" to the vestiges of 2017 on a steady downward descent. Make real changes.

I can't believe JR is staying. No one looked at the end of his tenure in Carolina?
Who could blame Geno for wanting to chase another Cup somewhere else? Under what basis? Loyalty? The dude's played second fiddle to Sid, both in terms of PR/marketing as well as where the shiny new toys played, is probably the most consistently disrespected big name athlete in any sport that I've ever seen, and he's put together a career in line with a top-10 all time to boot.

If the dude thinks this team has no shot at competing again before his deal (and likely NHL career) are up in two years--and who could argue--then let him chase a Cup elsewhere.

I still won't believe it until it happens, but for people to simply brush it off as irrational aren't paying attention. As for the "Sid made it known Geno was untouchable" thing, I think it's probably closer to "Sid would not allow Geno to take the fall for an awful job of GMing and coaching over the last couple years".

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Buying out...

...Jack Johnson...
  1. Saves $2.083m year 1 and 2
  2. Saves $1.333m year 3
  3. Costs $917k years 4, 5, and 6
...Patric Hornqvist...
  1. Saves $3.533m years 1, 2, and 3
  2. Costs $1.767m years 4, 5, and 6
...Nick Bjugstad...
  1. Saves $3.5m year 1
  2. Costs $1.75m year 2

Running with these buyouts, not that I believe they'll buy out all three (or anyone...), my lineup shown below costs around $72.5m. O'Connor, Poulin, and Lee were included on the roster since they're higher paid two-way deals.

Zucker - Crosby - Simon
Guentzel - Malkin - Rust
Tanev - Blueger - Rodrigues
ZAR - McCann - Lafferty
O'Connor - Poulin

Dumoulin - Letang
Pettersson - Marino
Riikola - Ruhwedel
Lee

Jarry - DeSmith

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Buyouts are fun to talk about, but I don't think they happen often enough in the broad landscape of the NHL for it to be a realistic talking point, sadly. Especially with this team, which seems entirely averse to even thinking about buyouts.

I also find it hard to believe we'd sacrifice several million in cap each season for the next half-decade or more. I'd much rather part with something like McCann to get someone to take JJ. Maybe even add a 3rd or something if needed.

I think JJ can be dealt. I just don't think this team sees him as the problem the rest of the hockey world does, so they're completely unwilling to sacrifice the assets needed in order to get him off this roster.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I don't want to trade Malkin or Letang. Or Guentzel. Anyone else....whatever. If the price is right, sure.

Keep in mind too...we have no first round pick next year. What if we fall on our faces and give Minnesota a lottery pick? It's unlikely to happen if we keep our core together, but if we move Malkin or Letang and then Crosby gets hurt we could have to deal with that embarrassment, and f*** all of that.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I'd look at Nashville too as a trade target.

If we can get Duchene for the 2nd line to move Geno to wing, his contact is decent enough.

EVGENIMERLIN

Jun 29, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Leafs already have a Letang doppelgänger and he’s extremely good.

They need a Dumo type to run their second pair, but they did trade for Barrie, so who knows what they are looking for.

Their cap is really tight so, a big name would have to be moved to fit Letang.

Doesn’t make sense to me as someone who is quite familiar with the Leafs.
If we trade Letang I would love to see Sandin coming back our way.

Letang, Murray, + for Kapanen & Sandin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad