Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: Stirring The Pot Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
I’ve asked you a couple times and maybe you have me on ignore but why do you expect Ceci to be playing 14 mins a night given the following:

The last 5 seasons the Penguins have had 6 to 8 D men have an ATOI of over 17-18 minutes. Ceci has never had an ATOI under 17 minutes.

I have answered you and others a number of times. Letang averaged 25:44 ice time last season and even more the year before. Marino averaged 20:15 ice time and those minutes went up as the season went on. So Ceci would have 14:01 minutes left if Marino and Letang play the same amount of minutes which I would say is pretty much a guarantee.

So you tell me how Ceci gets more minutes? Yes I know Ceci has averaged 20-23 minutes over the past 4 years and last year had a 83% quality of opponent. Those statistics do show that Ceci has played top 4 minutes and played against the other teams top forwards. Ceci also had 55% defensive zone starts against those top forwards. Even with those minutes against the other teams top forwards Ceci still managed 52% EV def. So while I agree that Ceci has always been one of his teams go to defenseman I don't see Letang and Marino getting less minutes. It is great to have a 3rd RD that can handle the minutes in case of injury but as long as Letang and Marino are healthy they will get their minutes.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I have answered you and others a number of times. Letang averaged 25:44 ice time last season and even more the year before. Marino averaged 20:15 ice time and those minutes went up as the season went on. So Ceci would have 14:01 minutes left if Marino and Letang play the same amount of minutes which I would say is pretty much a guarantee.

So you tell me how Ceci gets more minutes? Yes I know Ceci has averaged 20-23 minutes over the past 4 years and last year had a 83% quality of opponent. Those statistics do show that Ceci has played top 4 minutes and played against the other teams top forwards. Ceci also had 55% defensive zone starts against those top forwards. Even with those minutes against the other teams top forwards Ceci still managed 52% EV def. So while I agree that Ceci has always been one of his teams go to defenseman I don't see Letang and Marino getting less minutes. It is great to have a 3rd RD that can handle the minutes in case of injury but as long as Letang and Marino are healthy they will get their minutes.

That is an interesting way to calculate it.

I don’t feel like looking for regular season numbers. But given what we saw in the playoffs Letang averaged 25 minutes, Marino averaged 21 and Schultz averaged 18. So you’re math doesn’t really add up.

I feel like the OT time accounts for OT we see in the regular season and injuries.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

It happens because in recent history 6-8 D men on the Penguins play over 17-18 mins on average and in most cases they are playing a lot of games.

Schultz was the 3rd string RHD and played 19:53 this season. The season before Ruhwedel and Riikola played 16+ minutes. In fact Ruhwedel averages almost 16 minutes in his whole time in Pittsburgh. Lovejoy was 19 and 21 minutes in his last 2 seasons here.

History is on the side that there is no chance Ceci’s ATOI is 14 minutes. Doesn’t all that data go in the opposite direction of your opinion.

EDIT: In the last 5 seasons the only D men to not miss a game for 1 season have been Scuderi, Maatta, JJ and Petts

Reactions: Gurglesons

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Jake will be playing with Sid. Knowing that . . .

Jake-Sid-Kap
Poulin-Geno-Rust
Zucker-McCann-Tanev

That's my top 9.

9 best players.

EDIT: Still don't get all those who see Zucker-Malkin-Rust as a good idea . . .

Barring Poulin working his way into the top 6, I think we should go with what we know. Guentzel and Rust work. Let's see if Zucker and Kap can work as a duo.

Zucker's too good to play with a pair of tunnel vision guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad