Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Talk about getting jobbed...

giphy.gif

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
New thread time. It got me thinking... all these awful trades just to get rid of cap is silly. I'd rather just waive JJ and buy him out next year. It's not that expensive to do it. It's much better than getting rid of talent or picks .

If the guy is a negative asset, it is what it is.

13 years and counting since the last Penguins buyout. It's just not something this organization does. Shitty players either play out their contract or get traded.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
New thread time. It got me thinking... all these awful trades just to get rid of cap is silly. I'd rather just waive JJ and buy him out next year. It's not that expensive to do it. It's much better than getting rid of talent or picks .

I kinda agree but at the same time, we have a lot of talent of a similar level but won't have much cap next year. I'd rather lose a bit of talent than a bit of cap flexibility.

I also suspect that as Corvidae's said, that's just not an option the org will consider.

Reactions: Riptide

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

Not only is dead cap space something that would haunt us for years, this team has never shown that it's capable of waiving a tenured vet making good money no matter how terrible they are. If JJ's on the payroll, he's playing whether we like it or not.

Besides, a guy like Rust is kind of redundant at this point anyway.

Reactions: Riptide

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Making no trades, keeping 12F, 7D 2G on the roster with a little breathing room for an injury callup, the most we could give Pettersson is 1.5m. Does that get it done?

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I wonder if it’s Shero/Rutherford or ownership that have refused to buy out players. Maybe Jimmy is too arrogant to admit a mistake and buyout Johnson?

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I wonder if it’s Shero/Rutherford or ownership that have refused to buy out players. Maybe Jimmy is too arrogant to admit a mistake and buyout Johnson?

Were a small market team that's spent to the cap for a decade.

I'm cool if ownership nixes buyouts and crazy signing bonuses.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
Why all the trades?

Riikola, Ruhwedel, Trotman to the AHL/waivers. Pettersson signed for $2MM. $92,500 in cap space and a compliant roster to start the season. Then you work on making a trade to free up more cap space once the season starts. If you lose one of the 3 to waivers, so what? It's 2 guys that Sullivan doesn't plan on playing and Trotman.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
@Empoleon8771
Empoleon8771 said:
-ZAR-Malkin-Kessel was a great offensively (+7% threat level), but an absolute monster defensively (-19% threat level defensively)
-The ZAR-Malkin duo was excellent at ES, with a +12% offensive threat level and a -16% defensive threat level in 181 minutes

And people wonder why he played in the top 6 when we had injuries.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

Depends on the talent or picks required.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
13 years and counting since the last Penguins buyout. It's just not something this organization does. ****ty players either play out their contract or get traded.

Good thing - it means we don't have a ton of dead cap space. And honestly I'd much rather move the contract and get another asset back (even if it's not a good/great asset) or paying an asset to move the contract vs paying the player to go away and committing to that dead cap space for years to come.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

888 98 twins

Got you back not your wallet
Feb 12, 2008
Burgh
I don't see a buyout as an option for JJ. I'm sure JR would be able to unload him to a team out west without giving up any assets if he retained $1M. And that would be perfectly manageable for the next 3 years (not ideal but manageable). Would be about the same dead cap space as a buyout for half the years.

Reactions: ownal and Riptide

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Full disclosure:

I would trade both Rust and a 2020 1st to get be free of JJ's abomination.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
I don't see a buyout as an option for JJ. I'm sure JR would be able to unload him to a team out west without giving up any assets if he retained $1M. And that would be perfectly manageable for the next 3 years (not ideal but manageable). Would be about the same dead cap space as a buyout for half the years.

Why would a team do that though? Who wants even a 2M+ 7th D man? It won't be expensive I don't think, especially if we retain a bit, but not free.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
I got it! We get rid of JJ by trading him with Rust and we sign Shattenkirk for cheap! What could go wrong with that? :sarcasm:

Reactions: ownal
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad